Removing outboard from boat.

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Removing outboard from boat.

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Cracked ribs is something I'd like to avoid. I also have a bit of back pain, so I'm all for not lifting if there's options. I do have the option of hiring a crane. $75NZD a day, but I could hoist it for almost nothing if I can figure out how. I don't think I'd connect to the ceiling truss, unless I can find a spot that's reinforced. I will be building a stand, I don't like the idea of cutting that much with glass dust everywhere. Hate that stuff. I can also use the bolt holes in the transom as a template for a drilling jig this way.

I do have a couple of places I can securely attach a chain or cable, but around the back of the house, which makes getting a stand there a nuisance. Castors over grass and all that. The garage door frame is load bearing I think; I'll have a closer look when I get home. Either that or larger tires on the stand.

Still there's always the option of spending money and hiring a crane, but it's also a bit of a drive. No big drama's really; I've solved bigger problems.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Three 2x4, some rope and some chain.

Make a simple tripod over transom using rope for the joint. Throw chain over top and around motor mount. Unbolt motor. Bring legs of tripod closer together a bit to raise motor. Lower boat.

Seems simple but I’m sure I’m missing something.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

I've done this from a few different types of trees with rachet straps.

A friend did it with no lifting: loosen engine bolts, trim engine to vertical, jack up trailer wheel until the engine is on its skeg. Couple guys balance the engine while the third rolls the trailer away and rolls the stand in its place.

In the end I bought a harbor freight engine hoist, which may not be tall enough depending on your boat / trailer / motor setup. I used that for the 300 OMC V8 as it was too much weight to risk screwing up. They go on sale often. Problem is storage, as they are big. I disassembled and put in the attic.

Lots of guys do the beam through the attic deal. 245lb isn't much, but a 4x4 is likely to only load the truss on either side. Maybe you can find a scrap steel I-beam section.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

I think my new 60 mercury was listed at just over 250lbs, I mounted it once for rigging, removed for painting and reinstalled a final time.
First mounting 4 or 5 guys,
Removing 3 guys
Final install 4 guys.

You end up with 2 guys doing all the lifting and everyone else tripping over each other trying to grab something with enough leverage to assist a little. 4 is a good number though, it lets one guy let go and direct when needed without sacrificing the illusion of safety to the remaining lifters.

I sometimes wonder If my situation is even less common than I think. Super tiny village, no access to the outside world, yet always plenty of access to help whenever I need it.

Flipped my FS17 and hauled it out the garden doors and over the railing the same way after building the hull upside down in my wife's dining room.

Dipper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dipper »

Keep in mind that if you run the winch strap from an anchor point (the winch) up and over a rigging point (u bolt) and back down to the engine you are doubling the force on the rigging point. Much better to use a come-a-long or winch mounted only at the rigging point to keep the load at only the weight of the motor. I think lowering/raising the trailer to keep some of the weight on a wood block under the skeg and use the 4x4 method in the joists to spread the load is the safest bet without an engine hoist. I used a mini skid steer for my f250 but even then I kept some of the load on the skeg for stability/control.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I’ve pretty much decided that I’ll take it to a shop to remove then dump the donor and bring the C17 to fit it. That way I can get them to drill the transom and check the rigging as well.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Likely the safest way to do it. The only thing likely to get hurt is the wallet.