Removing outboard from boat.

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Removing outboard from boat.

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Overthinking things is a hobby of mine. I'm on holiday from teaching so I have time for it. Moreover I'm staying four days at a lake with little else to do except fish. I switch off then.

Anyway thanks all for the feedback.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

If it was me doing it, I'd probably just lower the trailer tongue right down to the floor, jack up the axle as necesary, run a line up to the joist, block the motor under the skeg and lower the boat out of the way. All you're doing is balancing the engine, you don't have to hoist it. Pop the stand in from below on whatever blocking you need to get the height right, then remove the blocks one at a time, popping up the corners of the stand with a pry bar to pull them out.

At 245 pounds I'd be tempted to try to lift it off by hand just to see if I could but then, there's a reason my body feels the way it does every morning. Although if you could get a strap around it to simplify gripping it, depending on the individual that's not too heavy. Definitely not a big weight to balance if you don't have to lift it, that's why I'd lift the trailer with a jack or blocks and keep the motor stationary.

But it would depend on the space you're working in, I'm not sure if that's feasible in that spot. It's easy to make suggestions...but hard to make ones that are actually useful!
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

dosmolski
New Poster
New Poster

Post by dosmolski »

May have been discussed but you could also rent an engine hoist from either a rental store or auto parts store.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

cracked_ribs wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:38 pm At 245 pounds I'd be tempted to try to lift it off by hand just to see if I could...
says the guy who literally breathes fire.....
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

I make no claims to being a good example but I'm all in on cautionary tale.

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

I'm the first to try to find my way around an expensive tool for a singular job - but dropping an outboard would hurt in many ways.

I bought the cheapest one I could find at Harbor Freight for around $150 with coupon a while back. It ended up being worth it and have found some other uses for it since. Perhaps worth looking into if a HF is around. Craigslist often has them used but they always look like they been sitting out in a hurricane and folks want about as much as a new cheap one for it. May even be worth asking any independent mechanic or shade tree fellas if you could rent one for cheap for the day?

I like the idea of cutting holes and building a mobile stand around it? Sounds like something I would do...But the shop crane would be the easiest and safest.

My father in law thought we could lift one by hand...I was scared...he must be buddies with crackedribs :D

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

Just noticed your in New Zealand! My store recommendations are worthless. Feel like I'm missing a kiwi grip joke in here somewhere.

Sorry -
Last edited by boguesounder on Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

boguesounder wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:48 pm ...dropping an outboard would hurt...

...crackedribs...
In retrospect I am the worst possible person to be giving advice here.

Safety 4st!

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder »

My father in law did actually crack some ribs in a motorcycle accident once. He also has a crazy man sneeze where it sounds like his head took flight or exploded. Anyway, for months after his crash any sneeze was followed by a really, really loud F bomb.

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

That's funny - I have also cracked ribs, and also sneeze massively.

It's not the best combination, all right.