Removing outboard from boat.

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Removing outboard from boat.

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Thinking about taking my outboard off the donor boat and storing in the garage. Then the donor with it's sadly rotten transom goes to the tip.
It's an etec 60 with three 5/16 24 UNF inserts for a lifting eye on the flywheel. Weighs 110kg or about 245lb. I have no motor crane or hoist, cost to hire theses is about $75 a day plus the drive in to get it. I don't have a lifting ring either.

I was thinking I'd buy a harmonic balancer puller and bolt that to the lifting inserts, then use the boat winch cable over a u bolt in the garage ceiling (attached to a joist) then down to the outboard. Then remove the outboard and turn it onto a stand. Bolt it to the stand with the transom bolts.

If anyone has done this I'd like to know how it went and anything to look out for.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Removing outboard from boat.

Post by fallguy1000 »

No. You'll likely break the ceiling joist unless it is bigger than a 2x8.

245# is at the mac of human lift for a couple stout guys.

Done it. Won't anymore.

Rent an engine lift.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

Step A - cut holes in the bottom of the boat.

Step 2 - run wood through the holes and bolt through the transom

Step three - build a rolling base attached to the 2 wood legs that are now bolted through the transom

Step D - cut the middle of the transom off next to where it is attached to the wood legs.

Boom it's rolling around on a stand.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

silentneko wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:00 pm Step A - cut holes in the bottom of the boat.

Step three - build a rolling base attached to the 2 wood legs that are now bolted through the transom

Step D - cut the middle of the transom off next to where it is attached to the wood legs.

If the boat is junk, this is good idea.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

I lifted my ski boat in my garage with 2 come alongs and 2 4' 4×4s across the cieling joists, one above each lift eye. I drilled holes through the ceiling/loft floor and ran some chain around the 4×4s and hooked the come alongs to the chain. Worked like a charm.

You could back up your ceiling joist with a few Jack's, I wouldn't use a lag bolt for that much weight, I would sling it.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

The ceiling is strong enough. It’s an internal garage and I can run a bar across a couple of joists. There’s storage up there so I know it can take my weight easily and all the junk up there on sheets of 12mm ply laid down on the joists.

Nice idea about the transom. I’ll think that over vs knocking out a stand. I was going to see if anyone wants a free project boat.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

VT_Jeff wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:57 pm I lifted my ski boat in my garage with 2 come alongs and 2 4' 4×4s across the cieling joists, one above each lift eye. I drilled holes through the ceiling/loft floor and ran some chain around the 4×4s and hooked the come alongs to the chain. Worked like a charm.

You could back up your ceiling joist with a few Jack's, I wouldn't use a lag bolt for that much weight, I would sling it.
Do you have any photos. Not sure what you mean about lag bolt. I was going to use a large u bolt with fish plate around a joist or a 2 by 6 on edge as a swivel pulley and have the winch cable going up from trailer to ubolt then down to the OB. Lift slightly up and bolt to stand. Alternatively I could spend $30 on a pulley system.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

silentneko wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:00 pm Step A - cut holes in the bottom of the boat.

The more I think of this the more attractive it sounds. I’d still need to winch to get onto the new boat in a year or two though.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:07 am
VT_Jeff wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:57 pm I lifted my ski boat in my garage with 2 come alongs and 2 4' 4×4s across the cieling joists, one above each lift eye. I drilled holes through the ceiling/loft floor and ran some chain around the 4×4s and hooked the come alongs to the chain. Worked like a charm.

Do you have any photos. Not sure what you mean about lag bolt. I was going to use a large u bolt with fish plate around a joist or a 2 by 6 on edge as a swivel pulley and have the winch cable going up from trailer to ubolt then down to the OB. Lift slightly up and bolt to stand. Alternatively I could spend $30 on a pulley system.
Lag bolt would screw into a drilled hole in the underside of the joist, sounds like this is not what you were planning, the u bolt sounds ok. No photos, but I'll see if I can sketch it.
Attachments
20210118_075124.jpg
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

I think you are over thinking it a bit. Get it on the stand for now, and when the time comes you can do it without risking collapsing your roof. Do you have a tree outside you can toss a strap around? Do you have a good car jack and 2 friends to help you out for 15 minutes? It's just 245lbs.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.