Deck cracks around traveler. Critical or cosmetic?

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Deck cracks around traveler. Critical or cosmetic?

Post by fallguy1000 »

What s this material that cracked and is it directly across the hull from the other cracks inboard?
EA6755DD-5088-4FA0-AB13-296305EA2ABE.png
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Fallguy, the component pictured is NOT a stay. It is the terminus for the MAIN SHEET. Stays can be a source of hull damage at the chain plates and mast step. This cracking would be due to over tension on the main sheet.

I agree there’s a bit of “HTF did that happen?”

I’m with you that it needs closer inspection.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Okay. I see now that crack is not on the other side of the hull. My bad guys.

That other crack is athwart.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jaysen wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:01 pm Fallguy, the component pictured is NOT a stay. It is the terminus for the MAIN SHEET. Stays can be a source of hull damage at the chain plates and mast step. This cracking would be due to over tension on the main sheet.

Yes. I understand what a stay is. I misinterpreted that front edge of the hatch as the outboard side of the hull. Thus assumed some horrible event cause this.

SchockSantana28
New Poster
New Poster

Post by SchockSantana28 »

I appreciate you trying to get to the bottom of this. Yes all the cracks in the photos are around the raised mounting area for the traveler. Not near the mast or any stays.
I'm going to mark the cracks to see if they are settled or growing. I'll also try to discern if they go through the fiberglass or are only in the gel-coat.
fallguy1000 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:07 pm
Jaysen wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:01 pm Fallguy, the component pictured is NOT a stay. It is the terminus for the MAIN SHEET. Stays can be a source of hull damage at the chain plates and mast step. This cracking would be due to over tension on the main sheet.

Yes. I understand what a stay is. I misinterpreted that front edge of the hatch as the outboard side of the hull. Thus assumed some horrible event cause this.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

This was stressed in this direction too heavily.
BC6405F7-DB14-4794-94A6-266C97479D14.jpeg

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

The cracks are simple to understand once I determined their location.

All of the breaks occured inboard and upwards which means the force was in that direction (no shit, right?)

You definitely have an issue, but it is not so horrible as overtensioned stays and damage across the hatch opening as I misunderstood it.

However, it does appear to be a wicked force that occurred here up and in.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Yeah. I’m trying to imagine what would put that much pressure on an area designed to handle those exact forces. A boat that size almost certainly has a back stay. Based on https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/santana-28 this boat does as well. That leaves us with either a huge pull on the main sheet with the topping lift (more likely to bend a mast) or possibly the boat being lifted. All that I could taking of after that is a metric crap ton of hard gybes or a roll over. Seems unlikely.

My gut tells me once you get into it, it’s just gel coat. I’ve learned not to trust my gut though.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jaysen wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:32 pm Yeah. I’m trying to imagine what would put that much pressure on an area designed to handle those exact forces. A boat that size almost certainly has a back stay. Based on https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/santana-28 this boat does as well. That leaves us with either a huge pull on the main sheet with the topping lift (more likely to bend a mast) or possibly the boat being lifted. All that I could taking of after that is a metric crap ton of hard gybes or a roll over. Seems unlikely.

My gut tells me once you get into it, it’s just gel coat. I’ve learned not to trust my gut though.
Can he try to tension that and see if the crack under the rope opens up?

Or give a picture of underneath. Maybe the orig boat a bit weak and 44 years shows.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I’d be nervous about bending the mast permanently before being able to see that open. It could be tried but be careful. I’d be more inclined to use use a straight edge and measure for deflection as pressure is increased. I’d also do this with the traveler cart right over the cracks.

Removing the traveler and looking for delamination and soft spots would be safer. That would also allow for probing into the crack and cleaning them in preparation for repair.