Sea Ox Rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Sea Ox Rebuild

Post by fallguy1000 »

3 layers is insufficient for final tunnel if that is what you mean..you will add an outside layer, but 6 is about the lowest I'd go..
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Dipper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dipper »

So the tunnel is 3 layers itself. Then I was going to do 3 inside, something like 10,8,6 probably 2 outside and when all that is said and done was thinking about adding a full layer over everything from side to side (or up the walls slightly) and from the transom forward past the front of the tunnel 12 in or so. Prior to installing the stringers.

Dipper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dipper »

That last layer being inside the boat

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I'm fully confused.

Tunnel-3 layers inside, fillet and dart as needed, overlap hull and transom 6",4",2"

Final layer outside.

Another layer on hull inside just to tunnel edges. Too hard to do the hull and tunnel same time.

Dipper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dipper »

Sorry for the confusion. I guess I was just kind of just thinking about trying to increase the thickness of the whole back end of the boat and have a nice fresh surface to install the stringers on. Basically what I was getting at was to add a full layer to the rear of the boat inside and to kind of tie all of the tunnel work together further. Like I said that may be overkill/not necessary and the 3 layers is enough.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Dipper wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:48 am Sorry for the confusion. I guess I was just kind of just thinking about trying to increase the thickness of the whole back end of the boat and have a nice fresh surface to install the stringers on. Basically what I was getting at was to add a full layer to the rear of the boat inside and to kind of tie all of the tunnel work together further. Like I said that may be overkill/not necessary and the 3 layers is enough.
It is just that you won't be able to do it well. The glass will get real wonky when it goes over the tunnel. It isn't about doing what you want, but what you can..

Dipper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dipper »

I see what you mean. It would be pretty much impossible to get it to lay flat. Well I picked up all the coosa yesterday and will get back to sanding and removing the transom this weekend. Will check back in with updates as they come.

Dipper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dipper »

Well I got the transom out. What fun that was. Just have some sanding and grinding left and on to the tunnel.

I managed to protect the outer skin pretty well but I think I will add a couple layers before gluing the new transom in as it seems a little thin. I haven't put a caliper on it but its probably just over 1/8" in the middle where the motor bolt holes are.

I also went ahead and prepped and created some relief in the area where the glass will wrap onto the transom from the under side of the tunnel before I pulled the transom thinking it would flex less during sanding.

Now for a bit more prep, couple extra layers on the inside of the outer skin and I will start mocking up the tunnel and marking where I will cut. The pics are from before I finished removing wood bits and sanded. I will take a couple more when all prep is done.
20210613_195418.jpg
20210613_195344.jpg
20210613_195335.jpg

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

You have been doing some serious clean up. Things are looking good.

Dipper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dipper »

Sorry folks, things have been on hold as of late. It has been 150 degrees in my shop so resin work is out and tyvek suit work will kill you in under an hr. Hope to get a few cooler rain days to finish up my prep. Will keep you posted when I get some more time on project.