Sea Ox Rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Dipper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Sea Ox Rebuild

Post by Dipper »

Hello All,

I am currently beginning a rebuild of a 20ft sea ox and have considered adding a tunnel to the hull for running shallow. I have seen many commercial fishermen do this but have never done one myself. Thought I would ask anyone here with experience for tips and/or recommendations. The picture attached is of a 25 downeaster that has what Im considering. Thanks in advance.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210316-094538_Messenger.jpg

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Sea Ox Rebuild

Post by Fuzz »

The shape of a tunnel will have a huge effect on how it performs. I would post the question for JM to see if he has a tunnel that will work for you. Post it in the top forum "questions before buying" I am sure you know there will be a lose of performance but the trade off might be worth it to you.

Dipper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dipper »

Thanks Fuzz,

I have been following Pamlico's thread regarding his 19 sea ox closely and will most likely have some questions for you guys as well. He really seemed to have opened a can of worms but with hard work and all the help he sure looks to have made lemonade out of lemons. I am in the same area as Pamlico and we have super shallow sounds especially on the back of the outerbanks. With wind driven tides you can find yourself in some skinny stuff in a hurry. I will be using the boat to access and harvest an oyster farm so under a heavy load it would be nice to have the extra shallow capability.

Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mr Pamlico »

The tunnel on my boat looks like it was bought as a fiberglass panel and then the bottom of the boat was cut out and it was added. I know the boat was redone in harkers island but I’m not sure where the tunnel came from. I always wanted a tunnel boat for the same reasons you mentioned and did enjoy it while I was able to run it before having to rebuild. It’s funny you mention the oyster farm because I am planning on starting an oyster farm myself. I’m hoping to put in for my lease in the next few months. I picked up a free 22 chawk I am going to start on after my sea ox is finished for my work boat.

Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mr Pamlico »

I have also heard of people using old carpet rolls or big pvc drainage pipes cut in half as a mold to make tunnels but I have never seen it done. I guess you would cut it to fit the bottom of the boat and then glass over it and tab it to the hull and then cutout and sand from the bottom? Definitely don’t take that and run with it lol just how I heard some people used to do it

Dipper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dipper »

Thanks for the reply pamlico. I am surprised being built in harkers that the craftmanship wasnt better on your boat. Good job working through it though. The oyster thing is really growing fast in NC. What body of water are you looking at for your lease? Also if you dont mind me asking (and feel free to PM me if you'd rather) but Im planning on coosa and mostly 1700/epoxy like you did but approx what do you think you have in the rebuild at this point? and where did you get your supplies local? Thanks in advance buddy. Our waters are some tough ones to navigate arent they. Super shallow, miles across, wind driven etc.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

How is that SeaOx super shallow? Just the prop? It looks like a boat like that would draft quite a bit. Can't a pontoon be nearly as effective? You can prop up to same as hulls and have clean water.

Just asking. Best of luck. I'd be nervous about drafting 6" or more with the Ox. Mebbe I'm full of it.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Dipper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dipper »

Fallguy, yes i believe spec says 8.5 in. the balance is between load capability, shallow capability and most importantly rough water capability. I have a pontoon that I use on the farm that holds the oyster tumbler but the problem is that our sounds get REALLY nasty sometimes out of nowhere. There is so much fetch that even a 12 knot wind from the wrong direction can make for a dangerous ride home. These Oxs are known for their rough water ability yet are able to run fairly shallow and are very stable at rest (sharp entry, big flare, but only 14 deadrise at the transom). We have areas of the sound that are more than 35 miles across and are generally btw 2 and 5 ft deep but can be rough enough to capsize any vessel that is small enough to stay off the bottom. So to answer your question we are not south texas or everglades shallow but carry heavy loads through relatively shallow water where we might have to get across a 1.5 ft deep shoal in a good chop.

Thanks for your reply. Hopefully you dont mind sharing some guidance with me as you have done with pamlico. You guys really know your stuff! I appreciate your willingness to help us folks just getting our feet wet (or maybe trying to keep em dry is a better way to put it).

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Have you looked at the study plans for the XF20? It is good reading in that it explains why a multi hull will draft more. Sounds like you have a good hull for your needs.

Dipper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dipper »

Here she is. Ripped the top, console, and leaning post out. Just ordered a big heavy duty pvc shelter to put her in to start working (wish I had a proper garage). Should be a few weeks before it's here but soon as it's up I'll begin the fun part. Wish boat demo was as fun as house demo.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210302-204545_Facebook.jpg
20210314_183832.jpg
20210314_183825.jpg
20210314_183803.jpg