Spray epoxy

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Rranger
New Poster
New Poster

Spray epoxy

Post by Rranger »

I changed a I/O hull to a outboard. I have my 3/8” plywood pieces for the motorwell cut and capped with 1-1/8” wooden dowel. I’m looking at matting and fibreglassing the pieces and wondering if there isn’t a easier way than cutting and applying Mat and fiberglass to encapsulate the pieces. Many little notches corners and the wood dowel on 3 of the 4 pieces to deal with.
I’m planning on using Raptor truck box liner or a similar epoxy coating to finish the floor, sides and transom of boat, and the motorwell. So just wondering if there is a epoxy I can use maybe without Matt to seal these pieces, and add some strength before I put on the final epoxy floor coating.
4AEFACF0-F9B8-44BB-A3F5-3F6B326AFFE1.jpeg

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Spray epoxy

Post by Cowbro »

I think the short answer to your question is, no, there is no magical shortcut that provides the same strength as an epoxy/fiberglass composite structure in a "spray on" treatment. To add to that, epoxy alone is not really considered structural. Without getting into the technical side of the transom modifications or design of the motorwell, i would say that you should probably plan on filleting and taping all seams and epoxy coating all wood parts at a bare minimum.

Edit... any more pics or info on the rest of the boat?

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Chopper gun and epoxy. They probably have an epoxy version of chopper. But hand laminating is best for what you are doing. Then fairing it all smooth.

That's it.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I would go for nice big fillets built with wood flour, Marine epoxy, and 12oz biax for glass. Forget any glass with matt.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Second Fuzz. I didn't see you were wanting to skip glass. You gotta glass it all. 12 oz is really easy to work with.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Rranger
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Rranger »

Thanks guys I pretty much knew I'm going to be cutting and hacking to get it done. But had a faint hope there might be a magic bullet. Some pics of my project !985 Sangster 19' was a I/O I've converted to a Outboard with a 125HP mercury.
119794896_10159271830586977_8661089928641637616_n.jpg
uju.jpg
thumbnail (5).jpg
thumbnail (4).jpg
thumbnail (3).jpg
thumbnail (2).jpg
thumbnail (1).jpg
IMG_0664.JPG

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Cool project!

My approach:

If those pieces are not yet installed, it may be easier to glass both sides of each piece with some cloth. 6 oz will work, it would only be for abrasion, encapsulation and to prevent checking. Assemble the glassed pieces(maybe stitch them with zip ties) and fillet them, add some 12oz biaz tape to the seams.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice transition!! Jeff

Rranger
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Rranger »

VT_Jeff wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:13 am Cool project!

My approach:

If those pieces are not yet installed, it may be easier to glass both sides of each piece with some cloth. 6 oz will work, it would only be for abrasion, encapsulation and to prevent checking. Assemble the glassed pieces(maybe stitch them with zip ties) and fillet them, add some 12oz biaz tape to the seams.

Still loose pieces while I pondered a easy way. Like you say pretty much going to glass with 6oz all sides, fillet then reinforce joints..

Rranger
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Rranger »

Also wondered if anyone out there had a a roll on idea for epoxy flooring? I want non slip, something I can get a color into that I can roll on the floor, sidewalls up to the gunnel and transom and new splashwell. I'm looking at this but pricy.

https://www.raptorliner.ca/