Duck punt repair

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
TheodoreVeneris
New Poster
New Poster

Duck punt repair

Post by TheodoreVeneris »

Hi guys!
I'm new to the forum and in boat building.
3 Years ago I've built a duck punt (open 4.7 m sailing canoe, my first built), but I have'nt choose right the plywood. Now the bow part of the deck is damaged and the layers of the ply starting to separate. So I have to replace it.
My question is:
What to do on the part that the deck is meeting with the sides of the boat. Shall I try to remove the joints with heat and chisel or shall I cut inside the joint and do the replacement there. (The joint is reinforced with glass tape which complicate things)
If I do the second thing I will not have 6.5cm surface that is needed to make the gluing but it will be a much easier repair.
Any suggestion will be very much appreciated!
Thank you!
Attachments
20210513_190014[1].jpg
20210513_194351[1].jpg
20210513_194354[1].jpg

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Duck punt repair

Post by cape man »

If it were mine I would cut it all out to that first bulkhead/frame just fore of the mast step, replace it with epoxy sealed QUALITY MARINE PLY, tape it to the sides and frames with glass and epoxy, and tape and cover the bottom with glass and epoxy. You do know that if you have that happening there, you are probably going to see it elsewhere in the boat later.

It looks like you did a great job building her and I'm sure you spent a lot of time doing it. Your issue is first-hand proof of the value for using quality plywood and materials in the beginning.

Wish you luck!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I fully agree with Cape Man!!! Jeff

TheodoreVeneris
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you so much for your suggestion,
But if I understand well you say cut in the bottom and not try to mess with the epoxy applied in the previous joints with the sides of the boat?
If so, should I cut it with some angle to increase the bonding surface or it does'nt matter?

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

The wood you cut out and replace will need to be glassed in place. Tape on both sides is a must have to my way of thinking.

TheodoreVeneris
New Poster
New Poster

Well... update and a question...
I have removed the front panel that had the problem completely but now I dont know what to do with the sides.
There is epoxy that have stayed there after brushing with metal brush and some deep holes. I guess that I will have to cover the holes with thick epoxy mix but how I'm going to remove the hardened epoxy leftovers?
Shall I try harder with metal brush or maybe chisel? I'm afraid that if do that I will damage the sides that seem ok.
Also for the holes shall I use plain epoxy or maybe stuff woven glass or pieces of wood inside?
Any suggestion is very welcome!
Attachments
IMG_20210519_201913[1].jpg
IMG_20210519_201930[1].jpg
IMG_20210519_202112[1].jpg

cape man

Post by cape man »

Use a sander (or sand by hand) down to clean, bare wood. Seal with at least one coat of neat epoxy (I would do three coats). Glue the new plywood which has also been thoroughly sealed with neat epoxy to the sides with epoxy thickened with wood flour. Tape the inside and outside of the seams with at least 6 ounce cloth (12 ounce is stronger). You will need to round over the outside edges and create a filet on the inside to get the cloth to lay down properly. I would also add a layer of 6 ounce woven cloth to the outside. Fair and paint.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TheodoreVeneris
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you cape man I'll do exactly as you say!
Any suggestion for the holes?

cape man

Post by cape man »

Fill with epoxy and wood flour.

TheodoreVeneris
New Poster
New Poster

When you say wood flour you mean something like west system 404 high density filler? or actual wood dust from sanding?