94 Searay 200 Bowrider Rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Dalyph
New Poster
New Poster

94 Searay 200 Bowrider Rebuild

Post by Dalyph »

Afternoon,

I'm thinking of buying a 94 searay 200 bowrider fixer upper and in need of advice. This is my very first boat ever I checked it out without a surveyor and found the floor completely rotted out. 5.7 motor runs with no issues or signs of bad parts just needs fluids flushed. Boat has been sitting since 2019 so owner just let the boat get weather damaged without a cover. I was able to talk owner down to 800 dollars I know its alot of work but there aren't any issues with the hull I can see. No cracks or holes in exterior hull or visible stress cracks. Inboard Mercruiser Alpha One. Transom is strong on the back did a weight test on the back to see if transom wood is rotted no signs of rot but not sure if its rotten. Boat is in fairly decent condition I want to know if it's worth spending 800 dollars on? It's a 20 ft boat which needs inside completely redone. I don't mind spending the time on fixing it but want to know if it's truly worth it. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Want to work on a project with my son that won't take to much time. Thanks in advance :D

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: 94 Searay 200 Bowrider Rebuild

Post by fallguy1000 »

I'd never pay more than $500 for a boat with rot showing.

Usually, I tell them I'd take it off their hands. I had one taker so far, but I then exited the deal this spring.

Someone always says, well, the trailer is worth money. But the boat would cost 3-500 to landfill, so it is usually about a wash.

Then the burden of risk becomes yours. Your wife is the one who is unhappy you spent $500 on a piece of rotten junk!
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Dalyph
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Dalyph »

Thanks for the feedback. Wasn't sure if that was a good deal or not with the motor running.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Fallguy makes good points. But if you are looking for a project to do with your son that is different. If the hull is good as is motor, outdrive and trailer then it is well worth $800 if it is a boat you want. But be warned pulling the decks out and installing new stringers will not be fast or cheap. If you find the transom to be rotten the repair time and price just went up by a factor of 3.