2000 Grady White Escape transom help

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
rjaques
New Poster
New Poster

2000 Grady White Escape transom help

Post by rjaques »

Hi everyone, new to the forum.

I have a 2000 Grady White Escape that I bought a couple months ago. Recently the engine stopped running, it had a Evinrude FICHT, I did not know all the cons until recently. Sold the engine yesterday and was told from the buyer who's a commercial fisherman that the transom is rotted. He pointed out two spots where the transom has a slight bow below the aluminum cap. He also pulled the tan trim piece and showed me a large crack, there's also a smaller crack at one corner. I'm looking for help and advise on whether it's worth repairing or not. Hopefully the pictures are viewable. I like the boat and want to keep it but I have never faced a transom issue before.

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_1459.jpg
IMG_1458.jpg
IMG_1457.jpg
IMG_1455.jpg
IMG_1456.jpg
IMG_1460.jpg
IMG_1454.jpg

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: 2000 Grady White Escape transom help

Post by Fuzz »

I am guessing the aluminium angle iron was an attempt to make the transom strong enough to still use the boat???
If the transom is rotten it needs to be replaced. I would do it from the inside and try to leave the outside skin intact. Replacing a transom is not too technical, it is just plain old work. Lots of nasty, sweaty hard work. If that is what you do keep posting and the guys will give you all the help they can.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Fuzz pretty much summed up my thoughts.

The angle is someone's desperate attempt to keep it another season.

Don't run the boat. Don't sell the boat without disclosure. Folks can die.

Make sure the boat is well supported. A 2x4 about 42" from the transom across the top works.

Remove the angle.
Assess the extent of the rot.
Report Back.

It is grunt work for sure.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

duplicate sorry
Last edited by TomW1 on Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

TomW1 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:55 pm Here is a link to the Transom Repair provided by Tech Support here on BBC a few years ago. It is pretty much a step by step tutor8al. http://boatbuildercentral.com/howto/tra ... /index.php Go down to the Repair Section. It takes work but is doable. You will also need to check the stringers near the transom as they may also may have some rot. The hull should be fine as GW uses FG on it.

Well good luck and hope this helps.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

TomW1 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:58 pm
TomW1 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:55 pm Here is a link to the Transom Repair provided by Tech Support here on BBC a few years ago. It is pretty much a step by step tutor8al. http://boatbuildercentral.com/howto/tra ... /index.php Go down to the Repair Section. It takes work but is doable. You will also need to check the stringers near the transom as they may also may have some rot. The hull should be fine as GW uses FG on it.

Well good luck and hope this helps.

Tom
good stuff
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495