SOBX Little Big Boat GV15

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dan_Smullen
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: SOBX Little Big Boat GV15

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Coming along nicely. Glass work on the inside and the whole thing looks great!

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

Fuzz wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:25 pm Boat looks great and I am glad the flip came off without a hitch.
Just a little heads up from an old crane operator/rigging trainer. Running a strap from eye to eye and then lifting in the middle put about 10 times the boat weight of stress on the rigging and eyes. And those eyes are not made for a side ways pull. Not trying to be a butthead just a little warning. :wink:
Yeah, thanks for the heads up, it was slipping sideways a bit at the 90° point :help:. The hull is only about 250 lbs. at this point — I'd not chance doing it this way again on anything heavier. The yellow strap that was wrapped around the white PVC section was anchored in the bilge drain tube (you can see it coming out the drain and wrapping around a small section of PVC) so that did take some of the load off of the strap going between 'U'-bolts. Again, I'll find another way on my next, larger, hull.
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

I’m using a 19 gallon Moeller plastic fuel tank that will be installed in a well under the center console:

The bottom of the well has a flat plate to support the tank; the holes are for pouring in 2-part foam and will be sealed with a layer of 6 oz. cloth:

Here is a shot of the underside of the plate — a shout out to VT_Jeff from whom I stole the idea to bevel the underside of the plate:

Not yet shown is a drain that will carry any fluids getting into the fuel tank well to the small bilge area in the rear half of the boat (hopefully, there won't be any :help: ).

I still need to come up with a way to hold the tank in place. I’ve posted a question to the technical questions section asking how others have held their plastic tanks in place. I want to stay away from any plain steel or plastic hardware, and friction-style buckles.
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame