GT27 Build (Wes K)

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Bogieman
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: GT27 Build (Wes K)

Post by Bogieman »

Very nice progress

wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by wkisting »

Thanks all. It's coming along.

For the aft cabin door, I'm thinking a sliding door makes most sense to prevent the need for the door to swing out into the leg-well of the cockpit. Does anyone know of good sliding door kits for that kind of thing? The mounting hardware would need to be marine-friendly. There's just enough room for the ~20" wide door to slide all the way open without running into the face of the cockpit seat on the opposite side, so that would be ideal if it can be made to work.

With so many windows, I'm now thinking I'll only put one roof-mounted Maxx Air fan instead of the two I had planned. If I locate it centrally, it should work great in lieu of a vent hood and bathroom exhaust fan, since it'll be almost directly over the kitchenette and head/shower.

Still have to work out what to do for grab rails on the roof as well. I'm wondering if I should be looking at just a basic hand rail, or some kind of rail/rack system that I can also use to attach solar panels later. Pretty certain I'll mount at least a couple solar panels in the future.

Open to any suggestions or product recommendations...
Wes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My build thread is here --> viewtopic.php?f=12&t=63644

wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by wkisting »

Well, after a LONG wait, I finally received 8 very nice 800x500mm dual pane acrylic windows from Anhui Maygood in China. $148 per window plus about $300 shipping (door to door) for a pallet of 8. That's a total cost of $188 per window! Much cheaper than the ~$500+ per window (before shipping!) for any other source of these windows. It was a long, obnoxious process of difficult communication, but ultimately, well worth the hassle, I think.
Wes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Good stuff Wes!!! Jeff

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

wkisting wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:00 am Well, after a LONG wait, I finally received 8 very nice 800x500mm dual pane acrylic windows from Anhui Maygood in China. $148 per window plus about $300 shipping (door to door) for a pallet of 8. That's a total cost of $188 per window! Much cheaper than the ~$500+ per window (before shipping!) for any other source of these windows. It was a long, obnoxious process of difficult communication, but ultimately, well worth the hassle, I think.
Dual pane?

I'd be terrified of seal failures.

Let us know how they look and I am hoping you get lucky on the seals.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

glad to hear the windows came in! It will be exciting to see them installed. I’ve been jonesin’ for an update. 😜

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

wkisting wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:00 am Well, after a LONG wait, I finally received 8 very nice 800x500mm dual pane acrylic windows from Anhui Maygood in China. $148 per window plus about $300 shipping (door to door) for a pallet of 8. That's a total cost of $188 per window! Much cheaper than the ~$500+ per window (before shipping!) for any other source of these windows. It was a long, obnoxious process of difficult communication, but ultimately, well worth the hassle, I think.
Great news! Are they installed yet?! :lol: I'm guessing you tested the sample very heavily before placing this order!

wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by wkisting »

I cut out the 8 holes for the windows today. It's really neat--much brighter inside. The 800x500mm (31.4" x 19.7") size is perfect. I'm glad I went with eight of them, as visibility off each quarter of the cabin will be very good.

I made 8 frames that will get glued on in the coming days. They'll add some strength and provide a solid point for the window frames to clamp onto securely. Should work out well.

Also got the side decks along the cockpits installed, so the exterior is nearly finished except to make some framing for a roof fan, some backing blocks for a handrail on the cabin, some mounting points for cleats, and the usual fairing/sanding. Of course, I still need to make doors and figure out the windshield also. I'm guessing plexiglass may be in short supply and hard to get.

I tried posting pictures but I keep getting "HTTP error" and the pictures won't post.
Wes

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Wes, what method are you using to upload pictures?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

wkisting
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by wkisting »

I was just using the typical "Add Attachments" and uploading JPEG files as usual. It didn't work yesterday, but now it seems to be working again...
20201127_135950.jpg
20201127_160807.jpg
20201127_160551.jpg
Wes