We have added the ability to print a topic (thread) in its entirety. This can be used to create a local archive of your build or other threads. Please see viewtopic.php?f=7&t=65556 for instructions (heavily Apple Macintosh based at this time).

You can close this box by clicking the X in the upper right corner (hover there to see it)

Jeffs FS14 LS

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
VT_Jeff
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Jeffs FS14 LS

Post by VT_Jeff »

Browndog wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:56 am Looks Great! I used a similar process to recess the hinges on the FS 19 I built. Really makes a difference on the finished boat. Remember to account for the thickness of the epoxy, primer and paint coats, other wise the hinges will end up being a bit proud of the surface.
Thanks. I gave the depth pin 1/2 a dial up after setting it to the hinge depth for the epoxy etc, it's a gamble but they should end up pretty flush.

There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Dan_Smullen
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Nice job Jeff. The consistency is worth every moment of fiddling. I like the OG Makita too!

The next step is to save the jig “for next time” and put it on a shelf for 10 years. ( what happens in my garage)

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 »

Nice work. People can use this thread as a hinge mortising tutorial almost.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

VT_Jeff
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by VT_Jeff »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:14 am Nice job Jeff. The consistency is worth every moment of fiddling. I like the OG Makita too!

The next step is to save the jig “for next time” and put it on a shelf for 10 years. ( what happens in my garage)
:lol:

The OG Makita is on modified duty, it's close to being a pensioner! Got it in '91 to install audio/video systems in SoCal tract homes in a very former life.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

VT_Jeff
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by VT_Jeff »

fallguy1000 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:46 am Nice work. People can use this thread as a hinge mortising tutorial almost.
Appreciate that Dan! I did finally go back and fix the photo order.

This morning I over-drilled all the screw holes and started filling, I didn't dam some up well enough so there will need to be a Part II on that.