Woods Skoota 32DM

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Woods Skoota 32DM

Post by fallguy1000 »

I wanted more alternator output than the f70 delivers. The vmax is double the f70. The guy at the Yamaha booth at the boat show says the paint job is the real pull. This is a cover, but gives an idea.

The other thing that happened is the engines went up 5". To do so required a jackplate and so I also have some adjustment of the cat engines come out of water.

Finally, saw little reason to f90 if I could get a little more oomph from the sho.

We are a little way away from the engines, so maybe we'll get lucky on noise, but we do have 2.
65529422-3589-4B2B-B067-16B15E8F2AA6.jpeg
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

fallguy1000 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:39 am I wanted more alternator output than the f70 delivers. The vmax is double the f70. The guy at the Yamaha booth at the boat show says the paint job is the real pull. This is a cover, but gives an idea.

The other thing that happened is the engines went up 5". To do so required a jackplate and so I also have some adjustment of the cat engines come out of water.

Finally, saw little reason to f90 if I could get a little more oomph from the sho.

We are a little way away from the engines, so maybe we'll get lucky on noise, but we do have 2.
I remember the Alt output was a concern, double output is always a good thing.

Dan you being a numbers guy, I figured you would post to the .001 percent point, the exact fuel consumption comparison! :lol:

I don't know why manufacturers don't post those numbers using the same hull for all their motors so it can be a real comparison.

As far as noise goes, semi displacement hull, how far from the surface of the water will the exhaust be? The V6 VMAX did state that the motor uses a variable timing cam that could increase the sound as the RPMs go up if the intake and exhaust valves are opening sooner. I would assume the VMAX SHO would be the 4 valve per cyl engine. Besides, that boat is going to look awesome, why not have a little eye candy mounted on the stern too?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Thanks Ken.

If I get to Corpus Christi in one piece, you'll have an open invite for a GoM trip.

As the captain of the vessel, I believe I have the right to disarm all passengers under maritime rules in any state. As in welcome aboard, check your guns in with me and I'll lockbox em or I can ask em to unload at least. As in, this boat is a friendly place; lose the piece. Others might say welcome aboard, keep em loaded..

Do you have people rent canoes or kayaks with sidearms on them? Have to ask, cuz I'm trying to mentally prepare for people walkin around with 45s.

What about a church? Can a priest say no guns in my church or does Texas law supercede it? Or if you supercede the bishop, does he just say fine, but you are no longer a member?

Anyhow, let me know if I am just a pest here. Just curious how it works. Pretty sure if I walk into church and guys are sidearms, I'm gone.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I live in a state where concealed carry is legal with no permit, has been for some time. Been known to carry a Smith 500. Even a fat boy has a little problem keeping it concealed :lol:

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Fallguy churches can prohibit firearms if they wish but much post that they do so. Had to search pretty hard for that in there new 2021 Law. Texas is crazy.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

We have never had to worry about anyone carrying a gun. One of our venues is close to the GRB convention center and they have gun shows there regularly, some of our customers have freaked out seeing people walking around with long rifles. We did have a person running around with a knife and once he entered the park he was surrounded by LEOS, arrested, and tossed in the back of a police unit. Most everyone did not know it happened.

Here, a business needs to post a sign that no weapons allowed, but I would guess a Capt of a vessel can set his own rules on anything to preserve order and safety of guests. If you don't want shoes on the boat then they can take them off or not get on the boat, and so on. But if you have any problems here in Texas just keep a heavy anchor with a short rope handy.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Vessels are no different than a house legally. You make the rules you want. If folks don’t like them, invite them (politely) to leave. If they don’t they are trespassing. At that point you can I force your right to your property.

That said, a man that shows up to a gun fight with a spoon… not likely to win.

Firearms aren’t dangerous until a dangerous person wields them. And dangerous people don’t need firearms to make an environment hostile. Preasure cookers, box cutters, and shoes have created more real terror than any firearm.

I will happily leave mine behind if asked though. Anyone that refuses is… a dangerous person. Avoid them.

Back to the SHO noise question…

With the twins pushing, won’t they be significantly below the ear line? I know that once my head is above most engines by about 3’ the noise is much more tolerable. And that seems too hold true no matter the linear distance to the motor. (Tested by standing up or sitting down on a 21’ skiff with a two smoke 90).
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Fuzz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:28 pm I live in a state where concealed carry is legal with no permit, has been for some time. Been known to carry a Smith 500. Even a fat boy has a little problem keeping it concealed :lol:
When I was in Alaska it almost seemed like a requirement to carry! Had I been staying for any length of time I would have complied because you have lots of four legged critters that will gladly kill you! :help:
Last edited by BarraMan on Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jaysen wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:06 pm Vessels are no different than a house legally. You make the rules you want. If folks don’t like them, invite them (politely) to leave. If they don’t they are trespassing. At that point you can I force your right to your property.

Firearms aren’t dangerous until a dangerous person wields them. And dangerous people don’t need firearms to make an environment hostile. Preasure cookers, box cutters, and shoes have created more real terror than any firearm.

I will happily leave mine behind if asked though. Anyone that refuses is… a dangerous person. Avoid them.

With the twins pushing, won’t they be significantly below the ear line? I know that once my head is above most engines by about 3’ the noise is much more tolerable. And that seems too hold true no matter the linear distance to the motor. (Tested by standing up or sitting down on a 21’ skiff with a two smoke 90).

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

fallguy1000 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:26 pm
Jaysen wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:06 pm Vessels are no different than a house legally. You make the rules you want. If folks don’t like them, invite them (politely) to leave. If they don’t they are trespassing. At that point you can I force your right to your property.

Yeah, well below ears. Sitting down, I'd say 4' easily. Up on the helm station 9' easily.