Inshallah - OD16 Splashed Today!!!

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Hunch
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Hunch »

DrBones wrote:Thanks loads guys! - And thanks for keeping an eye out for me Hunch! I knew you were hanging out there in the background.

Now, I just need to get a trolling motor (saw one 30lbs for $100 at boatersworld) as an emergency kicker. You guys think that would do as a 'backup'?
Take care of the small jobs as they come up and all of a sudden that huge project is complete.

That motor sounds like a bargain. Just be sure you have a deep cycle or combo battery for it and not just your main starting battery.

You two guys look happy out there. Have a blast

Hunch

Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

Congrats on the splash Doc! That's a great looking OD, be proud man, she looks awesome on the water.

I've been following your progress with all the trials and tribulations you overcame, I'm sure you thought this day would never come.

Enjoy your summer!
Image OB17 Splashed June 2007

DrBones
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by DrBones »

Thanks again...and of course the tale grows as time passes:

..courtesy of another buddy and came with "Careful out there!" :P

...all sorts'a things to consider ::: :wink:

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 »

Ya know, when I was cruising right through there one time last summer, I saw a huge echo on the fishfinder. Now I see what was up with that. :D
CC, D15, V10

stickystuff

Post by stickystuff »

For a first time saw man you did an excellent job. My new Captains hat off to ya.
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.

bermudian
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bermudian »

Great job Doc!!!!! I didn't hit the dock hard until the second time out, the only damage I saw was a stress crack in the paint on the inside. The OD,s are a tuff boat. When puting the boat on the trailer I have found it is easier to have the trailer bunks only half submerged and then drive the boat onto the trailer. But make sure that the bunks are wet so the boat will slide.

DrBones
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by DrBones »

Thanks again! I'm all tickled :D

I saw your launch photos Bermudian...and now that I think of it, I'm amazed that you are so brave to go that fast with that little boat. At 25mph with four people in the boat, I already thought that that was about as fast as I'd feel comfortable going.

..btw, it was your comment that convinced me to install the DoelFin on the engine before I even put her in the water. I got the two piece 'cheapo' for $19 - lol.

I'll check how it runs w/less crew in the boat next time out. As to the trailer, I think I'm going to install some bunks that come up alongside the lower hull panels. I don't dare not submerge the bunks completely, as the U-bolt nuts that hold the struts in place at the trailer frame could potentially scrape up the chines if I come in wrong. If the boat doesn't float above them...they stick out just about enough now to possibly hit them. When I first put the boat on the trailer they were just about right, i.e. just a tad lower than the bottom of the boat...but I guess the weight of the boat has brought the whole thing down about 1/4" or so over the year it's been sitting on the trailer. :roll:

Oh...and before I forget it: When I beached her, I got a couple of scratches in my paint (down to the primer). Nothing I'm going to deal with now..but it did make me think that possibly this whole graphite/epoxy thing on the bottom of a boat is a good idea :P

plumbertuck
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

great launch !

Post by plumbertuck »

congrats !,it all looks good, , I am stalled at steering and control cables, maybe one day we can meet up on the water ! :D
welcome to the home of the 80 grit rodeo