FIRST LIGHT - My (Daddy's) Boat-SPLASHED

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
timoub007
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by timoub007 »

Actually, I'm hoping to bond half of it to the inside and half of it to the outside. That will give a flat surface inside and out.

Is that as clear as mud? :)

Tim

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by robbiro »

Crystal (no mud), I like this and it should be fairly easy to do. The sides and frames have been dry fit and with the transoms dry fit I was about 1/2 " out of square, so I think that I am in the ballpark. I hope to get the transoms glued into place tonight with the help of my patient, long-suffering engineer type wife. It helps to have someone who can read blue-prints and has a clue about how things go together. Once again I will try with above mentioned partner to get photos finally posted this weekend.

Robbie

addendum: transoms peanut buttered in place with 4 drywall screws on each, I sure hope that Jiffy dries like epoxy.
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W
GF-16 FIRST LIGHT finished; D-5 Crusader '08 finished, PY 12 plans in hand

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by robbiro »

I have posted some beginning photos of the start and my crew at gallery named the same as my screen name Robbiro. The hull has been dry fit from frames and misd seat top, the bow and stern will be cut probably tomorrow and I will fit them then. I have had one of those dragging days and did not get much done, but there was progress made. The crew is ready to go out in her, but it will not float very well without a bottom. That will come later. I WILL take the camera away from the other shutterbugs at my house and start giving you pics of the boat not the bald builder. Thanks for all of the help that I have gotten from many builders on this forum in many different headdings. I will probably know just about enough to really start this boat when I finish with her.
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W

Yorkshire-Dry
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Yorkshire-Dry »

Glad to hear you are getting on Robbie, I know its been mentioned before Pictures, pictures, :) pictures

I'm lazy I just stuck my elec on the rear :wink:

Have fun,

YD
GF 16 built and loving it

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by robbiro »

I will transfer my thanks to all who gave advice and support while I was trying to get everything all square. It went from 1" + out down to 3/16ths". I will wear my reading glasses the next time I have to cut seat frames. I had one that was 3/8 ths too longon top, thank goodness and all I had to do was trim it down to the correct size.
I have had family duties and other things in the way so I have had a week of only getting to look at what I wanted to work on. (Am I addicted to this or is this normal for someone building a boat) I have gotten all of the seat cleats cut and will be begin gluing them tonight and I will post photos tomorrow. I Know, I know I know... I said that before, but that was about the time I found the out of square situation and I get very tunnel visioned when I can't figure something like that out. Thanks again!! :)

Back to building
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W

dewers
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by dewers »

robbiro wrote:(Am I addicted to this or is this normal for someone building a boat)

Back to building
I think this is normal, now what is the next boat of the horizon?

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by robbiro »

One at a time please!!! I am looking at something like a ph series, or a bigger gf. Who knows??
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by robbiro »

I hope to be able to say later today that I have finished the rubrails and have a target date of July 4 for turning the boat over and stitching the bottom. I have only one side and one lamination to do on that side to finish the rails and I want to clean up some things before turning it. Also I hope to get my computer guru (wife) to help me get photos from the photo program to the message board and gallery, I just can't seem to get it to work right.. Hope all of you have a great 4th and if you get the chance, catch more fish. I plan to try from the bank of a small phd, it at least qualifies as fishing!!!!!! :lol:
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by robbiro »

Rubrails are finished, all cleats installed, just waiting for some friends to come help me turn this thing over and see if the bottom will fit.
Hope ya'll have a great 4th.
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by robbiro »

The Fourth has come and gone and the buds did not show, so I guess I need some better bait than a promised trip once it is finished in order to get the boat turned to put the bottom on it. I had good help from my son Duncan, but there is only so much an olmost 6 year old can lift!!!! He is ready to go tomorrow morning if this thing was finished.
Have decided to put a livewell under the middle seat, and have ordered a prefab type setup from Tempress, It needs to get here before I can do much figuring about what needs to go where under that seat.
Well there's always tomorrow.
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W