FIRST LIGHT - My (Daddy's) Boat-SPLASHED

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Yoda
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Yoda »

Before I got a jug of slow hardener, I kept mine in a cooler full of ice. But I had to go buy a couple of bags of ice every day. The slow is really the way to go.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Tell me about the heat :!: We've been over 2 months with heat index higher than 100. Don't worry about the sweat in the epoxy, I've mixed mine with up to 10% sweat and 20% gnats and mosquitoes with no ill effects.

It would seriously be worth you time and money to buy some slow hardener. I've got a small refrig in my shop that I store the epoxy in. It really helps the working time.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

msujmccorm
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by msujmccorm »

You must be working fast with med hardener. I'm in Biloxi and can barely keep up with the slow.
The sweat in the epoxy wasn't a big problem but when I started painting it was a real pain :help:

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by robbiro »

Thanks guys for the support!! I have to do most of my larger work on Saturday morning when I can go in and the heat of the day has not gotten everything as steamy as a sauna. Tonight may be an exception because we have been getting rain since about 7:15 this AM and got some last night, Thank Goodness we are getting some because there were several small ponds in my area that are about dried up and hopefully this will give them some more water in them and I can still find fish left in them.
MSU
I am just off of I-20 about 25 miles East of Jackson, so you we probably have about the same as far as weather(You may have even more humidity than I do though).
Larry
I am glad to know that the gnats and mosquitos do not have any effect on the finished product and I will just keep on sweating as I work. How much extra glass and epoxy did you need to double layer the bottom of your boat?
Yoda
I hope that doing ALL my mixing in the house where all of the epoxy and fillers have been kept at room temperature, not garage temperature is what is helping.
I am discussing with my financial analyst (wife, computer guru,etc....)the probability of buying some slow hardener.
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W
GF-16 FIRST LIGHT finished; D-5 Crusader '08 finished, PY 12 plans in hand

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Robbie, I didn't need any extra glass. I bought the glass/epoxy kit from BBC and it had enough glass cloth to put on 2 layers, inside and out, with some left over. A lot left over. Also had some left over tape.

I had to buy another 3 gal. of epoxy. I used a lot more than I should have, due to inexperience, waste and 100 degree weather. There was probably more epoxy hardened in cups and on the floor than there was on the boat :( What the heck, it was my first try. I'm getting a little bit better now.
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by robbiro »

Larry,
I meant to ask earlier, was that percentage of sweat and gnats and mosquitos done by weight, volume, or just sheer Southen' guesstimation?
I did not get as much done as I wanted to tonight, but all of my hatches and frames all have their cutouts and backing cleats attached except one. That one will get finished tomorrow night and then Sat AM back to fillets and tape.
Later
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W

Jerry-rigged
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Jerry-rigged »

robbiro wrote:Larry,
I meant to ask earlier, was that percentage of sweat and gnats and mosquitos done by weight, volume, or just sheer Southen' guesstimation?
I did not get as much done as I wanted to tonight, but all of my hatches and frames all have their cutouts and backing cleats attached except one. That one will get finished tomorrow night and then Sat AM back to fillets and tape.
Later
:lol:

That's funny.

I was filliting my canoe one evening during a bad mosquito week - I was all doped up with DEET, so they wern't bothering me. My wife came out to check on me, and got attacked. She went off on them, got some bug killer spray and hosed down the garage - man those skeeters started falling like rain. Next morning, all the skeeters stuck on my fillits would have made a real nice non-skid...

:lol:

Jerry
Fishing from a paddle boat...

dborecky
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dborecky »

Millions of years from now they may be able to clone your wife from the blood in those skeeters... 8O

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by robbiro »

Yo Terry, Larry, MSU, Yoda, Arizona, Tim, Jerry et.al.,
SLOW HARDENER ROCKS!!!!!!!
I got a jug today and did several fillets between 4 and 5 this afternoon (99 degrees outside air temp) and it did not even get close to cooking. This is going to make the finishing of the inside much easier. Next time just use a big stick and tell me that this is the way to do it!@@!@@!
:doh: :doh:
I made the mistake of telling a friend who is a freelance photog what I was doing and the phone started ringing :help: . I had the photog over this afternoon and the reporter tonight to hear why I wanted to undertake this noble venture. I will post it when it comes out! thanks for all of the support and knowledge that all of you have passed on over this year of planning and now building. I will not set a tentative spalsh date because___________, Well JUST BECAUSE///? You all know what I mean.

Keep on Building,
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Yep, don't set a date. Bad karma 8) It is what it is.

Next time I'll shout "ROB, BUY THE SLOW HARDENER WHEN IT"S THAT @#$%^&*# HOT :!: THAT'S WHY THEY *&$%#%* INVENTED IT :!: :D :D :D

Oh yeah, the mosquitoes and sweat ratios were Southern guestimated by volume, based on the measuring lines of the mixing cups, with an additional allowance made for drippings and stickings accumulated on finished surfaces.