knottyBuoyz III The TW28 Project

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Vincent Homer
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Vincent Homer »

Has anyone out there built a TW28 or similar size boat using the cnc pre-cut plywood kit? Does using the pre-cut kit help offset lack of building experience? How much time does the pre-cut kit save? It would seem one botched layout would result in considerable lost time and material.

The study plans say the length can be increased by 10%. Is it possible for the CNC plywood cutter to supply a kit with this increase in length?

VHH

kiwi
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by kiwi »

1. Not yet
2. Tracing to wood and getting nesting right can take time if you are not used to that kind of thing.
3. It will save some time but the ratio of time saved on a big boat will not be the same as that saved on a small boat where building the hull does not take as much time.

Mesure, check and mesure again before cutting your wood.

Tony
Editor in chief
amateurboatbuilding.com

chrisobee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by chrisobee »

Vincent Homer wrote:
The study plans say the length can be increased by 10%. Is it possible for the CNC plywood cutter to supply a kit with this increase in length?

VHH
I expect the answer to this is no. The kits are meant for mass production and it would require a lot of one off work to make a kit for a 10% increase.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

None of the TW28's being built or finished are in the continental US - so none are made from kits.

Generally, the bigger the boat, the better idea it is to use the kit. It gives you a huge jump into assembly. It can also save money if you cut a large panel wrong.

Increasing the boat by 10% would exclude using a kit. We would have to redesign the boat.

Joel

UncleRalph
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by UncleRalph »

Vincent Homer wrote: How much time does the pre-cut kit save?
It took me between 1-2 hours to measure, mark and cutout a sheet of plywood, depending on the complexity of the nesting on that sheet. See how many sheets are in the TW28 and that will give you an idea of the time saved by buying the kit.

Ralph

Vincent Homer
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Vincent Homer »

Do the pre-cut hull kits come with the stitching holes drilled?

I assume you still have to prepare the scarfs.

Vince Homer

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

There are no stitching holes, you drill those where you need them. There are no scarf joints, we use fiberglass splices – less wasted wood

Joel

laporter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by laporter »

Joel or Jacques

Where can I find more tech info on the System 3 Polyurethane paints? I did a google search and only found the System 3 epoxy site. What I'm looking for are instructions for reducing the paint so it can be sprayed and color charts for color selection, coverage per gallon, recommeded film thickness, recommended temperature for spraying and curing times, etc. I found some tidbits from the Boatbuilder Central site for the highbuild primer being water reducable and coverage at 350 sq. ft. per gallon but that was it.

Are the Stirling paints only roll & tip or can they be sprayed as well?

Trying to figure out what's required for putting a nice finish on the boat.

I'm going to see a young fella this week who's building a Farrier41 in foam & glass so I can see his vacuum bagging up close and in action. I'll be back with a whole lot of questions after that about bagging the entire hull of the TW28 inside and outside so be forewarned! *wink*

Thanks

Rick
Yours Aye!
Rick, Lori & Shadow

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

Don't think of spraying Sterling (or any other 2 part paint except for System 3) without a positive air supply respirator.

A simple organic vapour filter cartridge will not keep out the isocyanates. (a cyanide compound). You WILL do severe damage to your lungs if you spray without positive air.

If you want technical literature on system 3 paints, go here for primer:
http://www.systemthree.com/p_wr_155.asp
and here for paint:
http://www.systemthree.com/p_wr_lpu.asp

But you have to register (free, no problem) first to get access to the information.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

laporter
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by laporter »

Thanks Evan

I was aware of the hazards of spraying these types of paints. I have a friend who's going through chelation therapy as we speak for heavy metal blood poisoning from painting cars without proper respirators.

Thanks for the links. For some reason they eluded me.

Have you got all the mods to your cat done yet?

Rick
Yours Aye!
Rick, Lori & Shadow