knottyBuoyz III The TW28 Project

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
icelikkilinc
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: knottyBuoyz III The TW28 Project

Post by icelikkilinc »

Will you glue all that support structure, especiallly the middle beams which is directly over the engine?
Ilker

TW28 launch: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=23369

icelikkilinc

Post by icelikkilinc »

This to give my view
Steps moved for front access to belts etc
Support is not over the engine to allow lift
Attachments
E9FB8618-BE51-4DE7-AA4A-1C92153AA7D4.jpeg
E9FB8618-BE51-4DE7-AA4A-1C92153AA7D4.jpeg (142.1 KiB) Viewed 8885 times
Ilker

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:39 am Are you gonna launch this season or next?

Want to race to finish?

I am planning May 1, 2021.

All the best. Looks good to see the deck members.
I think I'll drop mine in the water week after nest. I win! :lol:
Yours Aye! Rick
"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

icelikkilinc wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:31 pm Will you glue all that support structure, especiallly the middle beams which is directly over the engine?
Actually all structure will be glued except those running down the centerline. They'll be removable for full access. It'll get clearer as I go along.
Yours Aye! Rick
"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

icelikkilinc wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:33 pm This to give my view
Steps moved for front access to belts etc
Support is not over the engine to allow lift
I think on my model engine I can access all the belts, pulleys, alternator etc. from the sides of the engine. I'd like to keep that bulkhead in tact so I can put in sound insulation there.
Yours Aye! Rick

icelikkilinc

Post by icelikkilinc »

My stairs and bulkhead piece had sound insulation at the back
When I pushed back in place, there are tightning bolts to secure and support insulation
Front access is really important imho
Ilker

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

My latest vLog update:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/J1BA5dS3N3U[/youtube]
Yours Aye! Rick

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Hey Rick...another great video. A well thought out deck/tank plan I'd say.

I only have a couple of critiques/advice for you.

1. The blackwater tank service hoses have service lives of 3-7 years. Once that time elapses; they will start to stink like hell. You must plan for them to be replaced. Perhaps you know; I did not until I ordered my shitter.

2. Fuel lines and battery compartments are a no-no. Running a fuel line anywhere near batteries is a bad idea and against abyc and probably Canadian laws. You may consider bulkheading the battery compartment or anything that has a remote chance of sparking or grounding. I would be a bit nervous about fuel smells in the living spaces and personally would also bulkhead the fuel tanks, the electrical, and the blackwater tanks for odors, and any spark. That is me. You could use a cheaper plywood; no glass, relatively easy to do. I am surprised fuel tanks are in the living area, I could be wrong. The main thing to remember is no fuel system can traverse above a battery compartment. I have a start battery in my boat and I think I can get away with running the fuel line below the terminal heights.

3. see private message

If you need more hardwoods for the build, pm me.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice Rick!!! Jeff

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz »

fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:55 am Hey Rick...another great video. A well thought out deck/tank plan I'd say.

I only have a couple of critiques/advice for you.

1. The blackwater tank service hoses have service lives of 3-7 years. Once that time elapses; they will start to stink like hell. You must plan for them to be replaced. Perhaps you know; I did not until I ordered my shitter.
The sanitary hoses will all be openly accessible and easy to change out. Made sure of that right from the start.

fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:55 am 2. Fuel lines and battery compartments are a no-no. Running a fuel line anywhere near batteries is a bad idea and against abyc and probably Canadian laws. You may consider bulkheading the battery compartment or anything that has a remote chance of sparking or grounding. I would be a bit nervous about fuel smells in the living spaces and personally would also bulkhead the fuel tanks, the electrical, and the blackwater tanks for odors, and any spark. That is me. You could use a cheaper plywood; no glass, relatively easy to do. I am surprised fuel tanks are in the living area, I could be wrong. The main thing to remember is no fuel system can traverse above a battery compartment. I have a start battery in my boat and I think I can get away with running the fuel line below the terminal heights.
The black & grey water tanks will have 'drop in' bulkheads separating those tanks from the main engine space. The batteries will be in proper boxes. As for the fuel tanks being under the main living space there will be plenty of ventilation of the space (forced by elec fans) and I'm 99% sure I'm going to open the main cabin in a 'picnic style' so there will also be plenty of air exchange in that area as well.

All the electrics will be set up on the stbd side space I've laid out. All cables and wires will be shielded in cable supports and will be nowhere near the fuel system lines. All of the fuel lines go forward and across the main bulkhead to get to the fuel pump as far away from any electrics as possible. The only exception is the 1/4" fuel feed line to the diesel heater which will get shielded and I'm not exactly sure where I'll locate that heat just yet.

Canadian Small Vessel Construction Standards (Transport Canada) are virtually identical to ABYC standards for all these pieces of equipment. I have both sets of standards.
fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:55 am 3. see private message

If you need more hardwoods for the build, pm me.
Acknowledged. Thanks.
Yours Aye! Rick