West Coast OB17 update

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jeremy
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jeremy »

I say 3.

FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by FLYonWALL9 »

I'm with Chappy. I like 3 but 2 works also. I think I would
use an off white with that color green rather than just a
bright white. With that color bottom even a pale yellow
would look really sharp or even a cucumber green, like
the inside of a cucumber. Its close to white with a hint of
green almost like a light mint color.

1 would be good on a MG but its too sporty for an OB
IMHO

Also, (sheez i should just shut up) :D I would carry a boot
stripe the length of the boat where you have it cut off
looks like at the spray rail. And in one you have it from the
chine to the black.

BillTwo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BillTwo »

Lucky,
I like #2 best. Believe it or not, I am going to be using the colors green and white (not similar to your designs) but it will be a "Sea Green" and "Hatteras Off White". I'm thinking of using Interlux Brightside paint for my top and bottom coats. I might later change my mind and use a light grey bottom coat - when I get that far.

Lucky that center console that you built, what's the dimensions on it. I'm trying to settle on a height, width, and depth design of 37"h X 33"w X 42"d. The depth will include front seating with livewell under. Also, have you considered the type trailer you're going to use. I'm trying to debate that when the time comes to flip my OB17, do I want to build another jig or place it on a trailer?

I like what you have done with the fairing and painting. I hope mine turns out just as good or as close as I can in quality such as you have done. As you know, I had a problem with my first major laminating of 1/2 of the bottom with incorrect epoxy mix. One mixed batch, or lack thereof, had NO ACTIVATOR added and became a gooey mess. Two weeks later I finally got it off, scraped, repaired with patches of new fiberglass and re-laminated. Now I'm finishing the last side before fairing and sanding and then priming.

I'll be watching your progess closely since we are building similar boats - especially when it comes time for you to flip your boat.

Regards,

BillTwo, 8)

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

Looking g-o-o-o-o-o-d

I think my choice is 2, but without green on the bottom near the bow - make that white.

You must like masking and painting. I dont. :(

bermudian
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bermudian »

My vote is for #2

Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

Many thanks guys, a modified #2 it is. *SWMBO also picked the second one.

BillTwo: My console is 30" wide at the base tapering to 25" across the top. It's 41" tall and 36" long not counting the slight overhang of the dash.

I bought an EZ Loader bunk trailer last fall on sale. Great deal, oil bath hubs, galvanized rims, 100% LED lighting. Wide body, rated for 17-19' 2350 lbs. I think Lief has the identical trailer for his OB17 "Rose Sea".

The plan is to flip the boat right onto the trailer. I'll block and brace the bottom to the trailer frame to make sure everything stays straight until my frames and stringers are in and the sub-sole foam is poured.

WobblyLegs: Yes, actually I do like masking and painting - it's just that other pre-painting process (who's name shall not be mentioned) I'm totally sick of! And you're right, I'll drop the green below the spray rail or carry the white boot stripe around as per FLYonWALL9's suggestion.

I finished the primer sanding tonite so tomorrow I'll start masking. Looks like a sunny weekend coming up.

* She Who Must Be Obeyed
Image OB17 Splashed June 2007

BillTwo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BillTwo »

Lucky_Louis wrote:Many thanks guys, a modified #2 it is. *SWMBO also picked the second one.

BillTwo: My console is 30" wide at the base tapering to 25" across the top. It's 41" tall and 36" long not counting the slight overhang of the dash.

I bought an EZ Loader bunk trailer last fall on sale. Great deal, oil bath hubs, galvanized rims, 100% LED lighting. Wide body, rated for 17-19' 2350 lbs. I think Lief has the identical trailer for his OB17 "Rose Sea".

The plan is to flip the boat right onto the trailer. I'll block and brace the bottom to the trailer frame to make sure everything stays straight until my frames and stringers are in and the sub-sole foam is poured.

WobblyLegs: Yes, actually I do like masking and painting - it's just that other pre-painting process (who's name shall not be mentioned) I'm totally sick of! And you're right, I'll drop the green below the spray rail or carry the white boot stripe around as per FLYonWALL9's suggestion.

I finished the primer sanding tonite so tomorrow I'll start masking. Looks like a sunny weekend coming up.
Lucky,

Thanks for the feedback on the Console. Mine will be slightly different and a little bigger than yours - if I can pull it off? I'm not very good at woodworking and it seems that I may need to solicit some help in that area. So far, it looks good on paper. :doh:

That EZ Loader Bunk trailer of yours is a good looking one. Is it new? I am looking to buy a trailer before I'm ready to flip my boat. The type that I'm looking for will be galvanized, with "I" beam frames, bunk supported and able to carry at least a 2,300 lb load for a 17ft. boat. I'd like to see how you secure yours on the trailer without it flipping you out of it.

Speaking of Lief, I need to contact him and see how he's doing. We last were discussing designing my boat as a "closed bow" similar to his. Since then, I've decided to go with a center console. I'm sure he's out chasing and catching a lot of fish, he and his wife. Lief, if you're out there, catch one for me. :)

As far as selecting #2 as your paint scheme, along with Wobbly's and FLYonWALL9's suggestions, I believe that its going to work just fine on your boat. I can't wait until I get to that stage. :wink:

Keep On Building and Posting (KOBP)

Billtwo 8)

Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

Exterior painting DONE! Masking will be off today, will flip onto trailer tomorrow. Will be a baked on finish as temps are supposed to hit 35C (95F) tomorrow. Started rigging the console as well.

Other pics here http://gallery.bateau2.comindex.php?cat=11134

Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

It's safely flipped. Went off without a hitch. I suspended the hull from the overhead with 3 tie down straps, removed the strongback, and encircled the hull in 3 places with more ratchet straps. Four guys and a few beers made it and easy job. Carried it outside, lowered onto a couple of foamies on the lawn, picked up and put on the trailer.

More pics of the flip in my gallery here:

http://gallery.bateau2.comdisplayimage. ... =501&pos=0

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

Louis, that looks good. Very, very good.