West Coast OB17 update

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jason C
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jason C »

Oh yeah, that brush cutting trick works great. I do it all the time.

Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

Perfect weather for epoxy so... spent the week after work taping all the seams. I was going to do the bottom in one go but the logistics of having a place to squat/kneel/sit defeated me. On Saturday I ground down the selvage and bumps, vacuumed and wiped everything down with lacquer thinner. Sunday, I partnered with my good frau and got the bottom pieces measured and cut. Sunday afternoon we (she mixes a mean batch of sticky stuff) placed the starboard side. Monday, I soloed and finished the port side glassing after grinding down the overlap section.

PS: Many thanks to Wobbly for the idea on using clamps to anchor the temporary cross supports. I marked the tie down straps at the correct width with the frames in place so they are real easy to add or remove as needed.

Image OB17 Splashed June 2007

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

Ah, yes indeed, Lucky pulls ahead. Some minor setbacks mean I probably won't be able to do my glass sheets until weekend after next.

I shall be thinking of you this week while you work on your boat and I sit in an office with 28ºC weather outside... :(

At a rough guess, how much epoxy did you use on the sheets? I'm looking at what I have left (about 10 litres of resin) and am not sure if it's enough to do the whole lot...

Keep it up - I'm looking forward to some pics from you this week... :D :D

Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

Wobbly,

I used about 4 litres (maybe 5) to do the inside bottom. Refitting the frames today. Hope to start cutting the 'good' wood tonite. I made all my mold frames out of the cheapest plywood I could find. That saved me 1 or 2 sheets of the nice 1088 Meranti but created a bit more work.

Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

A quick update. Refitted all stringers and cut new frames (I used throwaway molds), cut and fit all motorwell bits, soles, and decks. Flow coated all surfaces of all pieces. Filleted all the pieces in one operation, man! I went through a lot of epoxy that day. Now I'm tabbing and that's about 50% done.

A few more new pictures at http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=501

I've been pre-rigging my completed console during the times when I have to stay out of the boat during curing.

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

Getting there... :)

I'm curious: is that centre stringer in your plans? I only ask as my boat only has two stringers... nothing in the middle.

Wobb.

Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

Yes, the OB17 (and probably the OB19) have three stringers. I believe the "V" on your C17 is deeper allowing you to have a deeper stringer which would give more than adequate strength using only 2. This is just a guess on my part, I'm sure JM will chime in if I missed the mark by too much.

Have you glassed your inside bottom yet?

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

Lucky_Louis wrote:Have you glassed your inside bottom yet?
I wish...

I was away last weekend in Belgium, did a bit of touch up and sanding of the tape inside yesterday, and have been hit with thunderstorms today :x :x

It's getting dark earlier now, so I only have about an hour of decent light inside my tent in the evenings, making me rely on good weather on the weekends. We'll see what happens next weekend.

I also know that a launch this year is not possible, so that is allowing me to relax a bit.

I'll update my thread when I have something to show...

Wobb.

Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

Just a little update. The great weather continues to hold, sunny and temps 20-25. All inside frames and stringers tabbed, anchor locker sole installed and filled with foam. Forward sole under casting deck placed and filleted. Now pouring foam in main cockpit sub-sole, tabbing all motorwell seams. Getting ready to glue in shear clamps, main sole and start inwale fabrication. Console is pre-wired and ready to drop in. Looks like I'll miss my August launch but so what... I'm not on a schedule. I'll post more new pics within a day or so.

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

Lucky_Louis wrote:Looks like I'll miss my August launch but so what... I'm not on a schedule. I'll post more new pics within a day or so.
Yah, schedules... :?

Pix, yes please... :)