West Coast OB17 update

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

Louis, a question for you...

How did you apply the epoxy to the inside fabric? Brush, roller or squeegee? I'm contemplating using a roller to do mine...

I poured epoxy over the outside fabric, and used a squeegee to spread it out, but I'm thinking that could get very messy trying to do it inside, and have a reach problem - a roller means I can reach the sides without disturbing the bottom too much.

Tim.

Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

Sorry for not getting back Tim, my (work) email spam filter has now decided bateau2.com topic reply is unworthy so I don't know when anyone replies to my thread. :oops:

I spread epoxy with a squeegee in one hand and my favourite 1" brush in the other. I did my bottom in 2 passes. I kneeled on the starboard side and glassed the port side. The next day I did the reverse. I'm not a big fan of rollers ever since my 'dissolving roller messing up my graphite bottom' episode. Squeegee and 1" brush clean up in 30 seconds. I was going through a fortune in acetone and lacquer thinner cleaning rollers.

UPDATE: casting deck, sole, and motorwell bottom all cut and fitted, ready for gluing and tabbing. Pictures soon, I promise :wink:
Image OB17 Splashed June 2007

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

Lucky_Louis wrote:I'm not a big fan of rollers ever since my 'dissolving roller messing up my graphite bottom' episode. Squeegee and 1" brush clean up in 30 seconds. I was going through a fortune in acetone and lacquer thinner cleaning rollers.
I did rollers (as you know by now) - first one started falling apart about 2/3's through. Not worried though - it's all going to be under the sole.

As to cleaning - with paint I clean brushes, with epoxy I throw them away - the cost of cleaning (acetone/time) is more than the brush/roller cover is worth, IMO. And, especiallly with epoxy, there is *always* residue that makes them almost unusable. Also, IMO.

Later,

Tim.

Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

As promised, I posted a few new photos. The sub-sole foam is in place but I forgot to take any pictures.

Console is ready to go.

A few more at http://gallery.bateau2.comindex.php?cat=11134[/url]

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Your laminations look very nice :D

Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

Thanks Joel. And who says the camera doesn't lie? :wink:

My filleting putty is made from red cedar dust and cabosil, that's why it's so dark. I plan on gluing the sole down tonite, tabbing tomorrow. Then comes the side frames, decking, and coaming. If I can borrow an engine mounting jig, I may drill the engine mount holes and refill them too. Great weather still holding.

jayb01
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jayb01 »

Lucky,
That's one of the best looking consoles I've seen on these boards. 8O

Did you design it or was it included in the plans? Either way...great job!!!

Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

I designed it. I played in 3D CAD until it looked right, then I mocked up in cardboard until the scale was right for me. If anyone's interested, I can post the plans in my gallery or email.

Glued the sole down yesterday and glued the 1st shear clamp. I was going to do both sides but never enough clamps! Bought my bilge pump, battery, and battery switch yesterday. Built a battery box and made up the main battery cable. Tabbing the sole and sub-casting deck today, maybe flow coat the sole. Then deep breath and drill engine mount holes.

Jerry-rigged
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Jerry-rigged »

Lucky_Louis wrote:Console is ready to go.

8O 8O 8O

WOW!

When I saw that pic, I said, no way is that home built - then I checked out your gallery! Very nice job. If you put that level of craftsman ship into the rest of your boat, good luck convensing the guys at the ramp that you built it your self!! :lol: :lol:

Great job so far...

Jerry
Fishing from a paddle boat...

Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

Thanks for the kind words Jerry. I spent a lot of time playing with the console over the winter(s) when it was too cold outside for epoxy. The console will going into the boat tonite or tomorrow for a dry fitting to locate the mounts.

Over the weekend I got the second shear clamp clamped and glued, the last of the motorwell/aft compartment cleats glued on, mounted the bilge pump, drilled and filled the holes for the engine, paddle wheel, and pitot tube. I made a battery box and escutcheon plates for the chase tubes.

More pics in a few days.