GV17 in Brisbane

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dorado Guy
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Nice start

Post by Dorado Guy »

Nice start. Great color scheme. One little trick I have learned when painting tight lines with tape, is once I lay the tape down, I will lightly paint the tape the same color I just covered with the tape. Concentrating on the tape edge. This will seals the tape from bleeding. Well lets just say if it bleeds it's bleeding the correct color. Then I paint the contrasting color. I use this trick with great success. When spraying I will sometimes lay the tape then I will mask off over the area I'm going to paint. Then fold the paper back over but not creasing the edge. What happens is the paint will bounce off the paper and tape. I call it bank shot painting. This gives you a nice edge also. :wink:

Looks great. Can't wait to see updates on the inside.

Dorado Guy

JohnH
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JohnH »

Good job mate,

Gary, where is Bris did you get your timber and ply? Are you on the northside? What brand of epoxy did you use and where did you get it?

I'll be starting an OB15 once I get my shed built. I've had the plans for a couple of years but a move down from Darwin put things on hold.

Regards
John

Gary Harms
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gary Harms »

John

I live in Sandgate and I get most of my supplies (Plywood, Firbreglass and Resin) from BoatCraft Pacific at Loganholme. They manufacture their own resin, fillers and paints and hold stocks of both Gaboon and Pacific Maple plywood.

Regards
Gary
Gary Harms
GV11+ finished. Building a GV 17.

tk74du
New Poster
New Poster

GV17

Post by tk74du »

Hey Gary,

I am starting the strongback and stringers for a GV17 this weekend.
I really enjoy and appreciate the photo's you've posted.
Just wondering if there are any new developments on your GV17.
Thanks for sharing.

Tony

Gary Harms
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gary Harms »

Hi Tony,

I haven't been able to do much for last 3 months, work has kinda got in the way of fun. :( Anyhow, I have a plan to get a day or two in each month going forward, so I should see some movement.

cya
Gary
Gary Harms
GV11+ finished. Building a GV 17.