Page 1 of 1

GV17 in Brisbane

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:18 am
by Gary Harms
I've started my GV17. :D

I' must try to remember to take photos and post them in the gallery. A couple showing the strongback and molds have been posted. Link below.

GV 17 Album

Gary

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:35 am
by Mike Adams
Hey, Gary - nice workshop you've got there! Clean floor, too - but don't worry, it will soon be covered with epoxy drips! :lol: :lol:

Best of luck with the build.

Mike

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:37 am
by CT_Mart
Gary,
Noticed your photo of your GV11 underway. Any more photos of the finished boat? I like the paint scheme and center console. Curious to see a little more detail since I also went with remote steering om my GV11.
Marty

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:47 am
by Gary Harms
Marty,

I'll take a couple of more photos of my GV11 tomorrow and post them up.

Gary

Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:32 pm
by JASmine
Gary..nice clean start.
One observation...you WILL want to get to the inside as you work on the shell. You may want to raise the strongback some before it get's too heavy.
Good Luck

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:42 am
by Gary Harms
JASmine,

Thanks for the tip. I was just thinking the other day if I would need to get under the boat before turning the hull over. I'll take your advise and assume I have to, so up it comes!

Marty... I've posted some more pictures of my GV11 and details of the console I built.

Gary

Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:24 am
by CT_Mart
Gary,
Nice job on the GV11. I knew you were modifying it some but you really added alot to the design. Is the transom painted white or does it match the sides? My GV11 is still unpainted because as I'm using and have come up with some minor changes I want to make. Plan to paint it in a few weeks and I might adapt your paint scheme except using blue and white. Since I car top it I didn't want to paint the bottom a darker blue but following your layout I think it will work. Thanks for the inspiration. I'll post some photos when I finish painting.
Marty

Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:35 am
by Gary Harms
Marty,

My paint scheme is:

Non Skid Sole: Smoke Ash
Topsides and Interior: White
Sides:Maroon
Transom: Outboard clamping board - Maroon, Lower Section - Sand
Bottom and Bow Transom: Sand

I happy with the result and will use the same scheme for my GV17, except I will most likely do the topsides in "Sand".

Gary

Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:38 am
by Gary Harms
More progress, bottom and side panels have been joined and stitched in place on jig. Now for some "spot welds". Pictures have been posted, link below.

GV 17 Album

I would have been at this point sooner, except I joined one of the bottom panels the wrong way, :? which was just plain dumb. I had marked each panel with keel, bow etc. and just ignored it when joining one panel.

Anyway all fixed now and it looks good all stitched. :D

Gary

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:51 am
by Gary Harms
All seams have now been taped and fibreglass applied to half the bottom. Pictures have been posted, link below.

GV 17 Album

Hopefully will finish the other half tomorrow.

Gary

Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:55 am
by Gary Harms
I've finished all outside laminations. Pictures have been posted, link below.

GV 17 Album

Now on to fairing and then painting. I will be fitting the rubrail and sprayrail after fairing and prior to painting.

Gary

Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:36 am
by FLYonWALL9
Gary,
The boat is looking great!

Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:16 am
by Chris...
Looking good mate!!

What did you use for the spray rail??

Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:45 pm
by nordmann
Hi!

Very nice work!

Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:48 pm
by Gary Harms
Thanks for the kind words. :)

Chris, I used 19x19 Tas Oak quad for the spray rails.

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:23 am
by Chris...
Just another quick question, How long did you make them?? :doh:

Cheers :roll:

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:21 pm
by Gary Harms
Chris,

Sorry, I should have included that. They are 3 metres each.

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:56 am
by Gary Harms
I finished the exterior painting today. Pictures have been posted, link below.

GV17 Album

I'm not real happy with the finish, a couple of runs, and a bit of bleeding through the masking tape :?, but such is life. I guess I would need to pay a tradesman if I wanted a better finish.

Hopefully I will be able to round up a few mates on the weekend and do the roll over. A promise of a few beers should see it happen. :D

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:57 am
by Chris...
Looking good mate!!

Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:45 am
by tech_support
it looks very fair to me. Its hard to not have a tiny run or sag somewhere, no one else will ever notice it.

Nice start

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:49 am
by Dorado Guy
Nice start. Great color scheme. One little trick I have learned when painting tight lines with tape, is once I lay the tape down, I will lightly paint the tape the same color I just covered with the tape. Concentrating on the tape edge. This will seals the tape from bleeding. Well lets just say if it bleeds it's bleeding the correct color. Then I paint the contrasting color. I use this trick with great success. When spraying I will sometimes lay the tape then I will mask off over the area I'm going to paint. Then fold the paper back over but not creasing the edge. What happens is the paint will bounce off the paper and tape. I call it bank shot painting. This gives you a nice edge also. :wink:

Looks great. Can't wait to see updates on the inside.

Dorado Guy

Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:01 am
by JohnH
Good job mate,

Gary, where is Bris did you get your timber and ply? Are you on the northside? What brand of epoxy did you use and where did you get it?

I'll be starting an OB15 once I get my shed built. I've had the plans for a couple of years but a move down from Darwin put things on hold.

Regards
John

Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:56 am
by Gary Harms
John

I live in Sandgate and I get most of my supplies (Plywood, Firbreglass and Resin) from BoatCraft Pacific at Loganholme. They manufacture their own resin, fillers and paints and hold stocks of both Gaboon and Pacific Maple plywood.

Regards
Gary

GV17

Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:29 am
by tk74du
Hey Gary,

I am starting the strongback and stringers for a GV17 this weekend.
I really enjoy and appreciate the photo's you've posted.
Just wondering if there are any new developments on your GV17.
Thanks for sharing.

Tony

Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:18 am
by Gary Harms
Hi Tony,

I haven't been able to do much for last 3 months, work has kinda got in the way of fun. :( Anyhow, I have a plan to get a day or two in each month going forward, so I should see some movement.

cya
Gary