Gubbs GT23

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OzzyC
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OzzyC »

Gubbs wrote:Looks real sharp!
Thanks. Greg and I are pleased with it.

Daddy
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Daddy »

Gubbs, I am thinking of using a plastic tank below the sole in the center of the hull with the connections located under the splashwell. Probably whatever will fit between the transom and the next frame forward and shallow enough to fit under the sole.
1. I am concerned about whether or not that space needs to be vented or not. Are you venting yours? I am just going with a small motor and looking for hull speed only so dont need a very big tank, 10 or 15 gallons. My concern comes from the fact that all of my previous experience has been with restoring other boats and so have only repeated whatever I found in the original. Now I am plowing new ground.
2. Did you foam under your sole?
Daddy
BTW one more coat of paint and I will flip

Gubbs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gubbs »

I foamed about 2/3 of the space under the sole, all of the areas except the center area from the bow to where the fuel tanks are located. I put an anchor locker in the fore most space and have limber holes down the center all the way to the stern. I don't know what the regulations are in the US, but the Canadian small boat construction standards specify the size of opening that you must have in the area where your fuel tank is located based on the size of the fuel tank. For my tanks this resulted in an opening around 9inX9in (if memory serves me) and I adhered to this.

cheers

Daddy

Post by Daddy »

Thanks Gubbs, but where did you put this 9x9 opening? Is it some kind of vent, up high, down low? Sorry to be so slow
Daddy

Gubbs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gubbs »

in the sole under the bench seat. When I have time I am going to cover it with a grate.

cheers

Daddy

Post by Daddy »

Gubbs, how are you coming along, any work at all this winter? I have decided to use a modest size below deck tank but I will install it in the space between the true transom and the "false" transom (about 10 inches inboard). There will be enough space there for a 12 gallon tank just above the sole I'll put my batteries there too but in a seperate compartment. I am only using a 9.9 high thrust motor and that will take me as far as I want to go.
Daddy

Gubbs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gubbs »

Haven't done much yet, but in a couple of weeks I am going up to the cottage for March Break and will do some work on doors and hatches.

Cheers