FS14 build saga continues......

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
stickystuff
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by stickystuff »

Anything under 16 ft. does not require FWC Inspection. I was told this by tag office.
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Ken you are correct. I am linking the data required to title a home made boat in Florida. The key word in the form is the tag office may require a visual inspection of a boat less than 16 feet. Sometimes I have almost got into fights with the local tag office during the registration of trucks or cars.
In any case, the state requires any boat that has a motor to be titled.

Derrick here is the form. You may be OK if you don't get a anal registration agent. :doh: Good luck.....

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/87002.pdf

Richard

dborecky
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dborecky »

I mounted the motor on the back of the boat!!! I cranked too hard on the bolts and seperated/cracked the primer and paint on the aluminum bracket... :oops: I need to sand it down and tape it off and re-prime and paint.... :?

I did say what the heck and put her in the water to see how she would run. I adjusted the tilt on the engine so that it is parallel with the rear bottom of the boat. The performance of the boat is great. I did not bring a GPS but I will next time. With just me in the boat it does barely porpoise at top speed but just barely. With my wife and 2 y/o on the bench seat it does not do it at all. The top speed is good but I could use a little more. 8) I did not push the engine other then very short runs at top speed due to keeping the engine at 3/4 throttle for this part of the 10 hr break in period. I still need to use 25/1 oil mix as well. This may have an effect on this as well. I really don't know. :doh: I ran over to a friends boat an let him take a ride. I only had my cell phone but took some shots of him in the boat. He was not on a plane in these shot. I wish I could have taken them on a plan. Next time. The boat handles great as well even in turns. I may try different props to get it to run at it's ultimate ability.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

She looks pretty on the water Derrick! As the engine breaks in all those moving parts loosen up a little and your top end will increase. Maybe as much as 10%.

My cell phone tells me I missed a call from you on Friday :doh: Hope it wasn't important. Call me back.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

The boat looks good, congratulations.

When alone in the boat, you must (MUST) sit in the middle with a tiller extension. That will eliminate porpoising, give a better hole shot and better top speed.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

donk
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by donk »

Derrick, she sure is looking nice. I'll bet you're glad that this one is almost behind you so that you can start the next one.

I'm still plugging away. The outside is almost done and the inside is really starting to take shape. I've got to figure out how and where to run my batter, lights and fuel lines.

Again, congrats, don

dborecky
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dborecky »

Don,

If I had put electric and fuel lines in, I would have run them under the sole on either side of the stringers in different tubes.

The boat sits great as is but I don't have a battery...

donk
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by donk »

derrick, I plan on doing jus that. I'm going to put in a half sole, on eithor side of the stringers. Probably put the battery in the center seat and the fuel tank up front.

The problem is that the sole runs into the hull before it reaches the front frame. Oh well, with enough pondering I'll figure it out.

dborecky
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dborecky »

I was thinking of a name and came up with the reason for the build. My three kids.... sooo how about "My Three Fry" Here is a sample of what I came up with .

So what do you all think? :doh: I'm not set on the lettering or the fish but these are the only fish I could at this point.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Love the name, and the fish are cool to me. Better, bolder font is all I would change.