mecreatures D15

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
mecreature
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by mecreature »

I think I might just have enough biax after all.. by about 3 ft.. no more doubleling up though.

I got it flipped over and started shaving with the plane and getting ready for more glassing..

For some reason I cant update the gallery.. will try again in a few days.

plumbertuck
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by plumbertuck »

my first boat was a d-15 about 6 years ago, i screwed up and used the woven outside and the biax inside on the bottom seams, it didnt seem to matter, I overlapped some biax on the outside and the boat was SOLID, youve got some pretty plywood there, seems a shame to paint it all.....
good luck hope the weather holds ...sunny and 78 here today :)
welcome to the home of the 80 grit rodeo

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 »

I did about the same thing with my tape. I used the biax everywhere on the hull and frames. When the roll started looking small I rolled 20' onto another roll and set it back for the seat tops and other stuff and used up all of what was on the original roll. After reading some posts where a few people had transom to seat top separation, I added some strips of woven tape on top of the biax at the seat to transom and stringer to transom joints. Also, since the bow is around 45º from vertical, the biax ends up at 0º×90º orientation to the grain of the plywood. I made my bow fillet, let it set and shaped it nice. After that, the first tape I put on it was woven to get a little 45º×45º action. I followed that with biax, wet on wet.

Keep on keepin' on. :D
CC, D15, V10

mecreature
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by mecreature »

Plumbertuck
Im not sure I could leave wood and have it look right. I need the practice painting anyway..

I will use what I got left in woven to double up on.

How much do you gain getting puttin your fabric down at a 45 over a 90?

Now if I could find a stretch to get alot done and not just an hour or two I could make some progress

More pics to come in the next few days..

thanks for the posts guys.

mecreature
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by mecreature »

I finally got to use a mix of epoxy and microballoons... I also added a bit of wood to it .

that stuff sands and works wonderful.

I shaped the bow to get a good surface to lay the tape on.. I wanted it as skinny as I could get it...it came out great IMO.

gk108

Post by gk108 »

How much do you gain getting puttin your fabric down at a 45 over a 90?

Probably not much. When I did it I wasn't even considering the overlaps from the 6 Oz. woven that I covered the whole outside with. You are probably already far enough into it to know how strong that little composite "stem post" is going to be. :wink:
I wanted it as skinny as I could get it...it came out great IMO.
So you are saying there are boats that cut through the waves and then there are boats that CUT through the waves? :D

Did you cut the camber on your bow?
CC, D15, V10

mecreature
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by mecreature »

Yeah I cut the camber into it. I like it.

That mixed filler I got with the epoxy kit "is the stuff". I dont know why you would want to use anything else.. I have never used quick fair though. I will see

too bad the whole bow is out of the water... LOL

I think the hardest thing about all this (the first time) is everyone does there own thing with a given set of basics materials and rules from the designers.. No two will ever be the same. pretty cool..

today I went to the boat junk yard.. LOL and then came back and ordered some stuff off the web.

bow eyes, nav light, battery case, thru hull connections and a few other odds and ends..

I still need to get a grip on the electrical and how I want everything. then how I am going to run the wires and chase.

I am getting better at research though.

I am still torn on how to wire the whole thing. When I think I see what I want then I find another circuit panel with some little something el

mecreature
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by mecreature »

Everything is sanded and cleaned up ready to tape and glass the bottom.

If I can find the time.

mecreature
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by mecreature »

I went ahead and cut all the biax to make sure I have enough for the outside... I am about 3 ft short.

I can use the bow for one of the sides and put only woven there. Option

I can use woven on the outside chine and save the biax for other stuff?

maybe I should ask this on the fiberglass forum?

mecreature
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by mecreature »

I got the outside seams and the transome glassed.

I made a fairing board out of some 3/4 in ply.. probably too stiff but I will give it a go.

Now to order some more epoxy and glass the bottom..