PH18 - Getting Started in LA

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Muddler
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Muddler »

Well the help has arrived, Today we cut...... after we check the measurement of the layouts I have done so far, one more time!

Bill
Is it a Boat yet?

Muddler
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Muddler »

Well, we got the bulkheads, stringers, and side and bottom panels cut out. We glued the stringers and side panels together in the house (my bride was away for the weekend). We got the transom mounted and should get around to mounting the stringers and remaining bulkheads tomorrow evening.

Now, here is my confession. We would have gotten all of the bulkheads and stringers and probably some of the hull together, but somewhere in the haste and fog of the excitement of finally getting to put something together we glued the forward section of the inside stringer upside down!!! Crap what a mood killer. We had to cut them both apart and re-glue, lost six hours causing us to run too late to get everything done. :oops:

Oh well, at least it was repairable and we only wasted a small amount of Epoxy and Fiberglass. Besides the adage, "measure 5 times and cut once", add to the list to "check and recheck everything and call in for a second opinion before applying the glue.

Bill

http://gallery.bateau2.comindex.php?cat=15860
Is it a Boat yet?

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Looking good, the pictures will help other build a proper jig.

Muddler
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Muddler »

Well there has been more action here in the South. We have gotten the side panels in place and are ready for the bottom panels. We should get to them this Saturday. :lol:

Bill

Is it a Boat yet?

Muddler
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Is the Bow mould necessary?

Post by Muddler »

I installed the bow mould and it seems to be in the way of pulling the bottom panels and side panels together. Is it vital to the shape of the bow section?

What should the "joint" at the chine look like? I have fussed with the positioning of the bottom and side panels trying to get the overlap looking the same on both sides but the bottom panel sits on top of the sides near the aft, and the bottom panels sit inside the side panels near the bow. This difference is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch between the two. The hull looks to be pretty fair. Can the gaps and overlaps be taken care of (hidden) when the fiberglassing and fillets are done?

I can post pics later if it will help.

Bill
Is it a Boat yet?

Muddler
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Muddler »

Well the panels are down, and the seams are covered with tape. Long Day!!

Bill
Is it a Boat yet?

Muddler
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

The fiberglass pulled away at the chine.

Post by Muddler »

When I taped the side and bottom panels, I had sections where the fiberglass did not stick where it wrapped around the chine. Should I try to inject epoxy between the fiberglass and the hull? I still have the cloth to go over the tape on the chine.

Bill
Is it a Boat yet?

sgorey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by sgorey »

I'm not sure what you should do, but for me, it happened with the wide cloth. I was told to replace the bad glass.

I would atleast fill air bubbles.

My bad...

stickystuff
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by stickystuff »

First off, did you epoxy the seams with thickened epoxy? This is first step. Next after epoxy cures, cut zip ties and remove and fill in any voids with thickened epox. Next sand down any humps and bumps from excessive epoxy globs. Next, wet out the wood on the seams with reg mixed epoxy and then lay your glass tape down across the seams . Use brush or small roller and paint the epoxy on the seams over the tape. Make sure all your tape wets out. You will know this when it turns clear. Use a bondo spreader or special roller to make sure all air is exited the glass. When its all smooth and clear you know it is correct. Word of caution, mix small batchesof epoxy. To much and it will start to accelerate in the cup and you will lose an expensive batch of epoxy. It will get so hot you won't be able to hold on to the container. Don't try and put any on if it starts to kick. Work fast and mix only what you can put on in a 10 to 15 min. time frame. Be very careful in your measurements. 2parts epoxy to one part hardner. Mix thoroughly and go to work. Cut all your glass to length and set aside so all you have to do is reach for it and go to town. Hope I didn't confuse you. I don't know how much experience you have so don't take any of this wrong. Just trying to help.
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.

stickystuff

Post by stickystuff »

Another tip which you may or may not know. Make sure all edges have at least an 1/4" radius. Glass will not lay over a sharp edge. You have to have a radius. You can go more than 1/4" but not sharp.
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.