PH18 - Getting Started in LA

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Muddler
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Muddler »

Ken:

Thanks for the reply. I have read lots of posts but seem to have missed something somewhere. The advice would have made a difference i am sure.

To resolve the voids I have drilled 1/8 inch holes in the voids and have used a hypodermic syringe to inject epoxy into the voids between the fiberglass and the plywood. It will take some time but the first attempt has done pretty good. I have a couple of weeks before the help arrives to put the cloth on. In hind sight It would have been way better to followed you directions if I had them to begin with.

Thanks.

Bill
Is it a Boat yet?

Muddler
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Muddler »

Well the injection process has worked with marginal success. I was not totally happy and the process was taking to long, squirt, wait to cure, squirt some more, wait to cure. After two evenings of this, I got up This morning and got out the belt sander 8O I took off the tape at the transom, and from forward of bulkhead "C" back to the transom. I then followed the "Stickystuff" advice. "Thanks Ken"

I wetted the ply, put on the putty, laid on the tape, epoxied and squeegeed things out to a smooth finish. It looks a whole lot better and I will sleep good tonight knowing there are no voids behind the tape.

Bill
Is it a Boat yet?

Poseidon's Rook
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Poseidon's Rook »

Its alway better to do it right the first time (or at least before construction is completed) than to finish and have it break and need repairs anyways :!: :wink:

FLYonWALL9
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by FLYonWALL9 »

Mudder,

Get some of these roolers they can be had at most any
boat store but they will help you push out any air under
your glass. Glad to hear you ground out the old glass

This was the only picture I could find with a quick google
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=188&

timoub007
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by timoub007 »

Or you can get them right here from BBC:
http://boatbuildercentral.com/proddetai ... M_lam_roll

Tim

Muddler
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Muddler »

Thanks for all of the replies, I have the roller, The issue was the angle at the chine. The fiberglass tape will not make the bend around anything close to 90 deg. After grinding off the first attempt, I rounded the chine and laid in the putty, used a spatula to smooth out any air bubbles. I used the spatula the first time and got the air bubbles out and things looked pretty good at first. I covered the tape with plastic to make things a little smoother (that part worked very well) but when the plastic was removed the tape had pulled off the plywood just on either side of the chine in some long sections. :oops:

I used a hypodermic syringe to inject epoxy through small holes into the voids and that seemed to work OK in some spots but in the end it just seemed best to get out the belt sander and do it right.

Bill
Is it a Boat yet?

Muddler
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Muddler »

Well, that half looks pretty straight!

On to side two! :P

Bill
Is it a Boat yet?

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I looks great to me. I'm just behind you a bit with the LB22, and hope to be taping in a week or two. Thanks for sharing, it helps beginners like me progress. I think you did right grinding the whole thing out and doing it over--no nagging worries and sleep easy.

Admiring your work Dougster

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by robbiro »

Muddler,
She's looking great!! :D Enjoy the process, I have learned much not only about building, but about me and how I cope with life also, WHOA!!!! That was too deep for a Saturday Morning. Keep after it and before long you will have a thing of true beauty sitting in your garage and then on your favorite body of water.

Robbie
(I see that we use similar barbers) 8O
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W
GF-16 FIRST LIGHT finished; D-5 Crusader '08 finished, PY 12 plans in hand

Muddler
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

The hull fiberglass is on!!!!!

Post by Muddler »

We finished the hull fiberglass late Friday night. It is supposed to get to 25 tonight so we'll leave the heaters on to help things to cure! :lol:

Bill