Texas LB22

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 »

If it's leathery tough a surform might shave it down for you. It might get a little clogged, but you can clean it.
CC, D15, V10

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Well, thanks, GK, the first bit of good news: an excuse for a new tool. :) Doesn't Stanley make it? Needs a carbide bit? Oddly enough I just read about that tool a few nights ago in an old boat builders magazine. It would be lots better than sanding for sure. Still couldn't get in the gap, but that's just a little bit. It's tougher than leather I think, but, still...

Wantin' a surform Dougster

PS: really, thanks for the tip, I'm thinking that's a fine idea

Rob Eades
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rob Eades »

Hey Doug,

A long time lurkin' LB22 admirer hear finally chimin' in.

On my "practice" 12 footer,still hard aground in the garage,I found that a scolloped wood cutting atachment on a Dremel made short work of bad fillets and spot welds.

Now maybe a 22 footer is a little big for anything stuck on the end of a Dremel, but for me, I won't do any future boat building without this little honey at the ready.

As far as my LB22 project goes,I begin the day one of these two boats hit the water and we get any kind of good news from sea trials,not to put any pressure on the two of you or anything.

best regards,

Rob

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Now we're gettin' it going. It's a dremel I need. I'm gonna give that some real thought. Spent a floppy night thinkin' about this mess and being mad at myself and the darn "EZ" fillet of silvertip. I never had such problems with the little 8' Devlin Dinghy learning project. Used the pumps, dumped in some wood flour, good cure every time. This "EZ" stuff, the first two batches I mix do this to me. I now think I should have mixed up the hardener first, maybe it settled in the carton. Dunno. Stick with Spoke and me, Rob, 'cuz by hook or by crook we're both determined. The LB22 is an unusual boat for Texas, but, as you know, she can win a guy over.

Gemme a Dremel Dougster

Rob Eades
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rob Eades »

Doug,

Pick up Dremel #542 cutting/shaping wheel.It was expensive at about $15.00 but well worth it.I bought the knock off Black and Decker version of the Dremel,works just fine.

Rob

gk108

Post by gk108 »

No doubt about it. You need a well stocked arsenal of woodworking weapons for boatbuilding. Jacques tells us the minimum tool requirements to build a boat, but he never specified a maximum. I probably couldn't build a fence post without having a surform. They are really handy for shaving and trimming thickened epoxy as long as it's still green.

The dremel bit Rob mentions is also a very useful tool. After you use it a while, it will seem like the next best thing to whittling with a laser. #542 or the other way to find it...look for the single most expensive dremel bit in the rack. 8O

Good luck. I'm gigging tonight (not frogs), so I'll be spending my day messing around with a monitor amp rack and my night hoping it all works. :wink:
CC, D15, V10

Spokaloo

Post by Spokaloo »

Rob, get your plans and get crackin!

Dooooog-

Ill just throw out a different tool idea, for the sake of conversation. Your going to need a grinder (unless you REALLY like your orbital, to the point of running it to death) to do fast finish work on glass. A grinder with a 28 grit disk USED CAREFULLY will have you back down to wood in a matter of minutes over the whole bow. 28 doesn't clog, and its big enough to make short work of everything (including the screw heads, so be careful). Just a faster way, if you want it.

Fixed the broken butt yesterday, but its snowing like a pig outside, headed out in a bit to work.....

E

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Dremel with the 542 bit, surform, 28 grit, or can't get no grindin'. What kinda stuff you play GK? I beat on a Tele and sing in a foursome. Blues rock folk pop I don't really know what to call it. We haven't gigged in a year but talk about it :) Re the grindin', I'm about ready to buy a good quality sander and am giving serious thought to the Festool RO 125 with the mini vac. Silly expensive but I figure the less talent you got the better tool you need. Anybody used one of the Rotex Festools? Re the 'poxy mess, I haven't done anything yet. Tomorrow I'm off work at noon, gonna drop in at the ACE Hardware joint to look for a surform and then check out the Dremel thing at HD nearby. I do think I need to apply a little heat befor I get drastic though, just in case that helps. The silver dollar size spill piece I left in a warm car is no longer sticky and has firmed up pretty good. Maybe a little hope to go that way, sand down a bit and proceed, vs trying to get it all off. We'll see. Oh yeah, and Rob, what Spoke said, we'd have three going.

Tool shoppin' Dougster :)

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Here's a little update: I gotta scrape it all off. A little heat with a shop light and it won't set, it softens. Maybe a heat gun and putty knife? I don't have a heat gun but, well...that's why God made box stores. It sands but is a bit gummy, and with effort, I find I can dig a blade into some of it. Gotta come off. And in case anyone could possibly be a dumb as me, here's what I think caused it. I didn't stir up the hardener :oops: I just checked, the greenish honey consistency hardner I spooned up off the top is an inch deep. Solids below, unstirred :oops: Shows what happens when you use new material. I used standard epoxy/wood flour mix on my practise build but not this EZ stuff, and didn't know enough to stir it. Still, I know it quite well now and suspect I'll know it even better when I finally get the mess all scraped, dremelled, sanded, surformed, grinded, clawed, damn off. I will say I have learned many things by doing them wrong first and, while tedious, it does seem to work.

Recommend mixing the hardner Dougster

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

New update, and happier news. As I said earlier, I finished work at noon today, so I dropped by a hardware store and settled on a surform, heat gun, and 1 1/2 " putty knife with ergometric handle (old Dougster appreciates ergo these days). The surform couldn't get where it needed, though it sure can handle what it gets to. But, happy days, the heat gun and putty knife are just the ticket. I put 3 hours in and finished more than half of it. I figure by noon tomorrow it'll be done. :D The heat softens it and the knife lets me get down in the seam and get it all out. Goes real well. It's a bit tedious and tiresome but, play some music and it moves along. I would have finished the whole job but it's happy hour and weekend. Of course I didn't quit because I was tired. And BTW, heat guns get, well, HOT 8O Cheers

He's not tired Dougster