Texas LB22

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Newer update, with all the sticky 'poxy out:

There's the pile, here's Nina:

It's like time travel, I just went back 2 weeks and get to start over. It built a lot of confidence. I mean, I can screw up pretty big, cus a minute, think a week, and fix it in a weekend. Well, at least this time. Thing is, I mixed up a little test batch of the "EZ" fillet, silvertips finest kind. After properly mixing the hardener. 36 hrs. later it is sticky too! Put one piece out in the sun today and it's no longer sticky. The other piece, left in the shop (60 degrees, 65% humidity), is still sticky and pliable. What is this? I'm about to call it "Cheesy" fillet. If I get home early enough tomorrow I'm gonna call the tech folks that make the stuff and ask what's going on. Jeez, just buy the marinepoxy and some wood flour next time.

Lookin' for the sweet spot Dougster

Spokaloo
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Spokaloo »

Congrats on getting that fixed!

E

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Thanks E, feels pretty good. I finished the tack weld and let go the straps and turnbuckles today. No sproing :D I do have a little sixteenth edge lip on the keel between station D and E or so and am tempted to heat gun off a bit of the weld and pull it back perfectly fair. Or it would not be too big a deal to fair with a bit of thickened up poxy. It is no more than 1/16", maybe less. I don't have much time in the next two weeks to work, but maybe I can squeeze in a little. I really look forward to finally getting the seams taped. Anyway, got the straps off that fine lady and she swelled up, eased up, and I almost heard her sigh. I don't think she likes girdles, and actually, I have a few bad memories of trying to deal with them from the other side many years ago, and agree (for other, selfish reasons).

But then that's another story Dougster

Spokaloo

Post by Spokaloo »

I was hoping for photos today Doooog

I just put all my welds on today, but they are all interior.

Any photos?

Im glassing next week hopefully. Sposed to be 50s and 60s!

E

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Hey Eric, no pictures yet. I'm strapped for time and have company coming for a few days. I have a bit more work before I can tape the seams. I noticed the bottom panels were a bit uneven in some of the stern section (1/16") and it offended me so I spent 15 minutes with the heat gun and removed the welds there. That encouraged the area to float up so that there is a dip in the keel line. It seems very easy to fix, I can push it into place with my hands, so I'll lay a couple two by fours along side and, well you know the drill :) I didn't weld underneath quite enough but it looks like only an afternoon's fiddle. I'll get pictures up by Sunday.

Fooling along Dougster

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I got a weekend free and hoped to get to the taping. However, an unfair section at the chine kept bothering me. I spent some time with it and realized there was a 1/2" inboard dent in the chine. The cause was simple. Thankfully, due to Jacques and Shine's advice I removed all the screws save those in the bow area. Except, I neglected one screwing the side panel to station B. When my Rube Goldberg scheme pulled the bottom panels down like a roof, it made too much overhang on the port side (overhang that I cut off). I figured a half inch is a dang big blob of quick fair and couldn't live with leaving it. So last night I hatched a plan and today it worked well I think. I used more Rube Goldberg stuff (a board on the bottom panel, wire going through it and tensioned to the building form) to hold the bottom panel down and not let it raise up while I heat gun/putty knifed the epoxy for about the third time :oops: Happily, the side panel, when freed, assumed a pretty fair line to my eye. A batten bent over it matches up well. Here's some pictures:

You can see the gap where the side panel eased out to a more fair line. It actually looks a little better than the picture after I tweaked it some more. Pleased me mightily. Here's the keel, it seems ok, a straight edge laid along it doesn't show any hook or rocker.

Maybe I can tape the seams next weekend. Jeez, I was starting to feel like Job with this, but I'm sure glad I made the effort today to redo the section that has been bothering me. I learned plenty and could do it again in a fraction of the time I think. No regrets though, each goof you recover from builds confidence and skills.

Letting the 'poxy cure Dougster

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

You'll be glassing soon! Looking good... :)

jayb01
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jayb01 »

Is the Daisy Red Ryder on the chair to protect you from Black Bart?

:D

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Hah, I forgot that Red Rider was there. Bought it several years ago 'cuz, well, it's a Red Rider! Pulls left, but then so do I. The deal yesterday is my wife, an avid birder, came trotting out saying 5 cowbirds were hanging around the area. They sneak their eggs in other nests, the young hatch faster, and eat the natural guys out of house and home. Birders don't like 'em. I have a shotgun but only some buckshot shells around. So fired off some Red Rider rounds at those pesky Cowbirds. Pulled left I guess. Still, they thought me rude and left the area.

He's got a Red Rider Dougster
:D

Spokaloo

Post by Spokaloo »

Well you have a slightly fairer line than I do, because I have a 1 mm hooey Im going to have to fair out later in the keel line.

Nice work man!

E