Texas LB22

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

1mm? Heck I don't think they even sell reading glass good enough for me to notice that.

He don't mess with no millimeters Dougster

Rob Eades
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Rob Eades »

Hey Doug,

Isn't that Archie Bunker's chair from All In the Family? :wink: not sure Archie could be trusted with the BB gun though.I've always been told that a man who builds a boat needs a place to "sit and think,and sit and drink",so it fits right in.

OT-for any birders in the crowd.Back in the late 70's my dad and I occasionally saw a pair of Ivorybills in a large,low swampy area in upstate SC.One day I actually was within 75 or so feet as one of the birds literally destroyed a dead 12'' tree.I was not at all suprised to hear they may still be around.I've been arguing with wildlife folks,on and off, for decades about what I saw.

tryin hard to stay on topic Rob :D

jayb01
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jayb01 »

P.S. You'll shoot your eye out.....

That's for us Christmas Story fans..

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Pretty cool, Ivorybills 30 yrs ago. Why not now? Re: Archie's chair: Nah, like I say, I pull left :wink: Done some sittin'/thinkin'/drinkin' there though. I just got through pulling all screws, straps, wires, etc. and everything held together, so tomorrow I'm gonna hit it with the ROS a bit, then poxy in the bow, fair a bit with thickened epoxy around two of the slits in the bow, then ROS to round the chine, then tape, then, well, etc. Or at least it's pretty to think so.

Sittin' and thinkin' Dougster

msujmccorm
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by msujmccorm »

Looking good. It won't be long before that chair gets very dusty.
Jeff
fl14 done, can't decide what's next!

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Well, maybe not too bad msu.....I just did 20 minutes with my new overpriced toy, the Festool RO150 with minivac. The only other sanding I've done is on the learning dinghy project last year using a cheapo Sears ROS. That was plenty dusty, but there was no discernable dust with the Festool/minivac combo. I guess there's gotta be some so I'll use a mask but wow, am I happy with it. Literally didn't see any dust. The dust thing was what pushed me into the buy, 'cuz all my music gear is in there too and, oh yeah, my lungs. I'll see what a couple hours with it is like but so far it sure looks good!

He's not dusty yet Dougster

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Ah well, finally I've taped the seams. Not so hard as I had feared. The biaxial tape is easier to work with than the stuff I used last year on the Devlin dinghy learning project. I have some pictures I coaxed from Nina. It seems Miss Nina has developed a bit of a sense of self of late, and was feeling rather, well, exposed. I assured her we are all boat Doctors here and all interest is purely clinical and professional. Reluctantly, she posed:

First I cut the tape and glass, as per good advice:

Note the peanuts are for the gallery (watching with clinical and professional interest)

Next the glass:

Finally, her seams are taped:

It all cured up pretty well, with a few bubbles and bumps but not bad. I'm pleased with it. Next comes the glass. I had good luck with the tape using the 'poxy roller. First I soaked the seam down as best I could with poxy, then rolled on the tape and used the roller. Worked well when I could get lots of poxy on the ply, less well on vertical surfaces that wouldn't hold much poxy. Now I'm wondering how to do the glass. I had planned on putting it on dry ply and wetting it out, but now think maybe it's better to wet the ply good first, even though it makes it harder to shift the glass about as it's applied. How do you folks do it, wet or dry? Also, I'm gonna go a peel ply search to think about it. Any thoughts on if it saves its $$'s worth in fairing time? Anyway, I'm glad I got off the dime and taped her seams. It built some confidence and was a little fun really. Nina wants her dress on and that's next :)

He's not personalizing the boat Dougster

Spokaloo
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Spokaloo »

Nice to see a little progress Doog.

Taping is cake, so is fabric.

I did mine dry because im working alone. If I had extra hands the wet method would have been my choice as you can save a gripload of time. Wetting out all that surface area took FOREVER the dry way, but it did turn out okay.

In one of the spots where I put clamps on to fix my broken butt joint I just covered the clamp with a piece of plastic sheeting. The underlying substrate, once it dried, looked so good it made me wish I could have bagged the whole boat. I dont know if peel ply will give you the same finish in sheet fashion, but Im probably gonna try vac bagging on my next boat, at least on some portion of it.

Keep up the good work, and you can always hit me up if you need something. Feel free to email me and I will shoot you my phone # if you need it.

E

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Hey Eric, good to see you back posting. I hope you're recovering well. I ordered the peel ply last wed. so maybe it'll be here in time for next weekend. For now it's just sand the rough places a little and think about the keel. I found a 12' white oak plank, that's 7 1/2" wide for $85 and one 9 1/2" wide for $110. Mahagony is more pricey here. My concern is that the white oak may not like the 'poxy that well---seems like I've read something negative about oak and epoxy. Any advice is sure welcome. Otherwise, I'll go with ply but wonder if it need be marine? Thanks for the help offer Eric, count on me to keep in touch :)

Wanting to put some 'glass on the bottom Dougster

Spokaloo

Post by Spokaloo »

Call around a little on that chunk of wood.

VG fir was $75, oak was about the same price your talking about. Call a few lumber yards in the big cities, I bet you can find some phillipine mahogany (really justa fancy spanish cedar) for a much cheaper price. Also consider Purpleheart. Its generally cheaper than the oaks as well, and just a shade cheaper than the fir here. Imported from the south, so should be cheap. My board was 1"x8"x11', and if your going to do the original skeg your gonna need some more width than I had. Definitely be wary of plank warp too, I had some and had to clamp and manipulate the board a bit to make it work.

If your gonna do ply, go marine, use some of your scrap. Look at it this way: Your going to hit it on something. Period. When you do, its going to cause fractures in the glass and allow water in someday. Isnt it worth the insurance to have two laminated pieces of marine on the chance you dont notice the issue before it gets the wood wet?

As for now, Im going to sit here in this demerol haze Im developing and hope the neighbor calls to go fishing soon.

Hooked a 15 1/2" crappie a few days ago, and a 13" yesterday, maybe find a few more!
E