FS18 Done Deal...

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Bayport_Bob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bayport_Bob »

Well, I haven't had a chance to update the website. That will happen soon. Basically I faired the hull to a 95% satisfaction level. Installed the rubrail & skeg. Laminated the skeg with unidirectional S-2 glass for extra strength and abrasion resistance. As of today, I have 2 coats of S3 high build primer on. Now back to sanding!

The sharp edges (bow, chines, transom, etc.) will eventually have a radius applied, but I figured it would be easier to get a uniform edges if I made them sharp 1st, then sanded a radius into them.

Here's an example of the stern edges to see what I mean...

(the photo angle makes the transom look deceptively deep. It's not like that in person)

mecreature
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by mecreature »

Did you roll or spray that primer on?

any tips?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Whatever he did, it looks good.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Bayport_Bob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bayport_Bob »

The primer was rolled on in 2 coats over microballoon fairing compound. Since this layer will be sanded pretty thoroughly I didn't see the need to spray it on. You can still see some of the fairing compound color through 2 coats of primer. I'll sand this layer & fill in the imperfections with Quickfair & of course sand. Once everything is looking good, I'll apply at least one more coat, or two of the primer (I may spray the final layer(s) on instead of rolling). Pretty much just like Joel did on the FS12 he built. The final coat will be lightly sanded, I'm guessing about 180 or 200 grit. I'll research the right grit for the finish sanding when I get close to that point.

I used foam rollers similar to these...

I thinned the primer ~20% by volume with 50/50 water alcohol mix.

The one tip I can pass on concerning the foam rollers I used, is to use light pressure. If you try to roll with too much pressure the foam will eventually de-bond from the core and start to get out of shape, or worse case, start to fall apart. A light stroke will get the same amount of coverage and save wear & tear on the foam. Since the primer is water based, the rollers could be re-used if cleaned properly. So far , I've thrown them out after using them.

I used about 1/3 of a gallon of mixed primer (unthinned volume) for the 2 coats over the outside hull & transom. I'm guessing I may use a little over a gallon total to primer the whole boat prior to topcoating.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Bayport_Bob wrote:TImage

I thinned the primer ~20% by volume with 50/50 water alcohol mix.

The one tip I can pass on concerning the foam rollers I used, is to use light pressure. If you try to roll with too much pressure the foam will eventually de-bond from the core and start to get out of shape, or worse case, start to fall apart. A light stroke will get the same amount of coverage and save wear & tear on the foam. Since the primer is water based, the rollers could be re-used if cleaned properly. So far , I've thrown them out after using them.
good tip, we try to get 6 or so uses from each of those roller covers. Something goes with the S3 LPU topcoat, you can wash the rollers and use them several times

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Before Bob puts a radius on that transom *water* edge, what is the maximum radius to use? If I understand right, a sharp edge there is good on a planing hull.

Looks great. Is it the first primed FS18?

mecreature
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by mecreature »

Thanks for the tips.. I think rolling is all I am going to do since I am not so good using my sprayer.

those rollers are what I have a stock of now... :D

That boat looks great.

Bayport_Bob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bayport_Bob »

So far, from the builders I've been in touch with, this is the 1st FS18 project that has reached the primer stage. Not that this is a race! I'm not married nor have any kids, so I have complete control on where I spend my free time. A lot of it is spent waiting for epoxy to cure and my muscles to recover from sanding sessions. I'm about 6 weeks behind where I thought I would be in the process, but that's was poor time estimation on my part. I figure I might get this boat wet around Sept. 1st 2007. Any earlier & I'll be that much happier.

Super Spook
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Super Spook »

Looking great man. I think FlaFF is close to you in progress. Out of those who report their progress, I'm in last place :? . I've got a lot of sanding to do to get to where you're at. I ordered more Quickfair last night so I won't have any excuses not to sand, not that I have a hard time creating them out of thin air. I have to decide what paint I'm going to use soon, so I can order primer. Are you going to paint before you flip? If so, I may have to come check out the finish you get with the S3 topcoat. Decisions, decisions.

Elie

Bayport_Bob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bayport_Bob »

If this was a heavier boat I would seriously consider painting it before it gets flipped. Since it's light enough for 3 or 4 people to turn over, I'll wait until the very end to do the topcoat.