FS18 Done Deal...

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cooper
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cooper »

I would leave the bottom back edge sharp and round the chines a little. :)

Super Spook
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Super Spook »

If this was a heavier boat I would seriously consider painting it before it gets flipped. Since it's light enough for 3 or 4 people to turn over, I'll wait until the very end to do the topcoat.
My plan as well.

mikebro72
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

looks good

Post by mikebro72 »

hey man the boat looks great...ive been away for quite a while...my fs 18 is still just on paper...i had built a strongback and then scrapped it...my plans are sitting somewhere..i went with my own design(ill be done with it in another week or so...construction is complete, rigging it right now...)....after a couple models and contemplating mods to the design, it just wasnt for me...actually a little too much boat for my plan, if that make sense...
good luck...it seems there are maybe 4 in progress??

ill be posting some pics on another website, but i dont want to take away from bateau...i learned a lot from here
i can build anything, why not a boat??

Bayport_Bob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bayport_Bob »

My building site has been updated. It's shows the steps up to & including the initial primer coat. Added steps include the skeg, the rubrails and primer.

At the moment I've misted down a sanding "guide coat" of dark gray auto primer and I'm once again back into sanding mode! This step isn't on the site yet.

See the bottom of my post for a link to the site.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Great pictures Bob!

Does the future hold a time when you can break up the *steps* into separate pages? On a slow connection, it takes a looooong time to get to see the most current recently added pictures, way at the bottom.

Looks like you may be in the water first. Great documentation! :)

Bayport_Bob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bayport_Bob »

Yes, I'll be switching the format to separate pages. I realize that if you have a slow connection the load time will be pretty long. Maybe if I have time this afternoon at work!

Super Spook
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Super Spook »

Looks great man. Are you going to do anything to try and deal with the spray or just live with it being wet? I've thought about a small spray rail, triangular in cross section, about 6" above the chine, but am worried it might ruin the lines a little bit.

Also, do you think that a few heavy duty staples might accomplish the same thing as the dowel trick? Just remove them before the next layer is applied. This would be with 1/4" ply.

Elie

pete44
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by pete44 »

I realize that if you have a slow connection the load time will be pretty long.
Bob, the resolutiion of the last picture on your website (Primer_X.jpg) is 395.9k @ 180ppi which is perfect for printing but terribly large for the web. By optimizing it with Photoshop I got it down to 13.78k @ 72ppi without any loss in quality, so you could greatly cut down on load time — and web page size — if you did the same for all your images.

I’m willing to help you out if you need it... you have my email address.

Pete44

Edit:

Sorry, I spoke too soon... the 180ppi through me off. It looks like your images are already optimized... mine would only be about 4k smaller.

Bayport_Bob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bayport_Bob »

Thanks for the heads up Pete. I'm in the process of changing the layout with a standard navigation bar. I wasn't planning on being wordy, but as it turns out, it'll be a book before I'm done!

Spook - I'm coming from kayak fishing to powerboats, so I won't know how to act without my ass being wet all the time.

I do plan on putting a rubber (tacomarine.com) rubrail around the structural one, so there's going to be a little bit more overhang, but it will still be a wet ride in the chop.

As far as using staples on the rubrail, if you have another person help putting it on, then stapling would be fast & efficient. If you do it by yourself, the dowels help hold the far end of the strip in good alignment (kind of a third hand) while you slap on the clamps, but I think you could still get a good technique developed by stapling. Now that I think about it more, I wished I had thought about using staples at the time!

FlaFF
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by FlaFF »

Use nylon staples and leave them in.

Josh