Page 1 of 1

PastorBob's GF-16 ***Rebuild***

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:14 pm
by PastorBob
I am tired of waiting for the weather to break :x 3 months ago I ordered plans and epoxy, yesterday I went 200 miles to get my bs-6566, today I ordered my Glass.

So far I have laid out out 4 panels and plan to be cutting by this weekend hopefully I will not work to quick because there are only so many things I can do in the basement before i have to move to the garage which is still frozen (4 inches of snow tonight).

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:00 pm
by timoub007
Sorry to hear you're still snowed in. Good luck with the build. We're here when you need us.

Tim

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:46 pm
by ks8
If you are going to butt join the hull panels in the basement, keep 'em up off the floor (too cold on the floor yet?) and, of course, level and supported for the lamination butt block or tape, whatever that hull uses, and make sure the joined panels will make any turns to get to and out a window or up the stairs. Mine barely made the turn to get them out in spring to stitch them up in the tent. They would not make the turn for the stairs, but earlier measurement showed they had 1/8 inch room to spare to get out the window on a maximum diagnol. I know it is common sense that doesn't seem to need saying, but better said than having to *modify* a wall or window later.... I've heard some stories... intelligent people... embarassing way to *miss the mark*... :lol:

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:35 pm
by PastorBob
Gallery up although not many pics on yet. 2 panels left to layout. this boat is very easy to layout!

May God Bless you All...

http://gallery.bateau2.comdisplayimage. ... um=601&pos

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:45 am
by ks8
Prov 22:6 .... so I guess you'll have to find small sized respirators if they are going to help you fairing the hull? 8O :lol:

Enjoy the build! :)

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:42 pm
by rudar
I know it is common sense that doesn't seem to need saying, but better said than having to *modify* a wall or window later.... I've heard some stories... intelligent people... embarassing way to *miss the mark*... :lol:
Yeah, wouldn't want to end up like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5ZZ7IXugno

...."Well, there *was* a wife involved, but unlike the car, she fit out the kitchen door quite nicely. Fairly early on, in fact..."

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:13 am
by PastorBob
that was really funny I miss watching that show I'm not exactly a car guy (I drive an 86 Volvo 740 wagon) and we have an explorer but i always liked that show! Great link Thanks....

I am not sure if i will laminate or not in the basement or not I have a strait shot out the back door up the stairs to the out side door and the panels are less than 2' wide. Perhaps Joel packed some Florida sun and warmth with my fiberglass order! Then I can move the project to the Garage and the walleye will start moving!!!

Rain, Shine, Cold, or Warm God is Good! To him be Praise!!

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:27 pm
by Joe H
Well I think the snow is done for now PastorBob, can't wait to hit those walleye in the Detroit river next month, St.Clair River after that.

You could alway's help me finish up my project, than we can start on yours! 8)

I see you have all the help you need, but I work right around the corner from you so feel free to give me a shout.

You where asking about my progress, check it out.
http://gallery.bateau2.comdisplayimage.php?pos=-11455

Joe

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:24 pm
by Cracker Larry
Nice build job, Joe!

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:42 pm
by PastorBob
Joe, I hope your right about the weather! we moved here last year and are tired of winter!!

So far no problems on the build I was going to look for you to see where you found wood I went to Albion, MI to get it price was about the same as here but no shipping.

I have been watching your gallery It is looking very good! If it where not for wanting a duck hunting boat I would be building an OD. I saw someone at a gas station a few weeks ago with a C-Dory 16 that was a great looking little boat!

Let me know when you plan to glass the bottom I can give you a hand, are you planing on taping and glasing at the same time "wet on wet" you look like you are getting close so let me know and we can do it!!!

I have only fished the Detroit, I have a guy in my church that is out there every morning jigging and hand-lining, I usually get out 1 to 2 morning a week during the season :P

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:50 pm
by Russ5924
Trying to figure out what my next build will be pretty sure will be the GF14 or the GF16 when the 16 footer doesn't use anymore plywood then the 14 foot :?: . What I want to know is just how deep is the boat. Not shown on the website but would like to know before I order the plans. I think they are the same boat just longer??? Well look at it this way 75 here today but when you are enjoying a nice summer we will all be hiding in our A/C from 95 degrees and 90 percent humidity 8O

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:23 pm
by Joe H
Thanks PastorBob and Cracker Larry,
between my new Grandson, Ice Fishing, building the boat and working it's been a busy winter, cant wait to get out on the water and do some fishing/relaxing.

Bateau.com and all the other builders have made the boatbuilding easier than I first thought.

I got my marine ply at LL Johnson Lumber Co in Charlotte Mich excellent prices and they ship to Detroit area for about $60.00. I get all my epoxy ( west System) at Midwest Marine in St.Clair Shores, everything else at BoatBuildersCentral.

I'll take you up on glassing the bottom, not sure how I'm going to do it yet.

Joe

I have more questions about the build but won't take up anymore of your tread, see ya in Power Boats.

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:25 pm
by timoub007
My sides are about 20 inches deep just in front of the mid-seat. The actual side panel length is about 21 inches but it has some angle to it.

Tim

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:54 pm
by PastorBob
don't let the depth of the sides scare you off these boats have a huge capacity and are very stable Larry describes its capability as two people being able to relieve themselves over the same side at the same time with plenty of free board left!

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:25 pm
by Russ5924
Got the D5 just about done all the painting is done and all I have is to install the little bit of hardware. Looking forward to a bigger project just about sure will be the GF-16. Have to say have learned lots from that little boat, should be fun taking my grandson fishing in some of the smaller lakes. Get the GF-16 built and get rid of that gas guzzler I have now????

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:49 pm
by PastorBob
1/2" panels are cut.... gave up on trying to use circular saw and went with cruddy jigsaw with good blade worked very well...

Joined transom to clamping boards permanently! I have extra tape and resin so I thought I would put some in there! overkill I am sure but harmless I figure.

Soli Deo gloria!!

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:16 am
by Dimitris
I use metal blades with the jig saw to avoid splintering and it works great. They are the Bosch Progressor blades.

How do you manage to control the kids in the workshop? I like to have my 4 years old Alexandra with me but I find it difficult. There are very few tasks she can get involved in at her age. I usually let her play with water-colors but after a short time she gets bored and wants to swim in the sawdust or cut the boat with the saws 8O

Enjoy your build

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:56 am
by PastorBob
my 2 year old is only around when there is drawing or hammering taking place other than that she will come and check on us every few minuets and the off to do her own thing!

The 4 year old has some more important tasks in the project! one of her main responsibility is the collection of good sawdust for making filler she takes this job very serious and make sure that there are no particles to large or foreign going in to the sawdust bucket :lol: I explained to her that epoxy is dangerous and she can not get near it as I clamped last night she policed the area informing me of drips of the "dangerous poxy"! I include her as much as possible with simple counting and math she is actually a great help with reminding me how much resin I just pumped 8O

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:12 am
by Dimitris
I will try the sawdust collection task, although I think that after a few minutes she will start to play with it. Right now there is a mess in the workshop.

I admit that I failed to persuade her that epoxy or power tools are dangerous. She cannot stay disciplined, I think because she sees me continuously use them and enjoying it. She can understand that I build the boat for pleasure. On the other hand, I managed to persuade her not to untie the seat belt in the car, where me and her mother always use it.

Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:26 pm
by PastorBob
Transom lamination is compleated I am really impressed with the strength now I am thinking of what I can hang off the back ???

Tonight I Joined the sides and sat lights over them to warm the epoxy.

http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage.php?pos=-11555

Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:01 pm
by ks8
It's a start!

Better buy the Mrs. new lights. Those will become boat building lights soon enough! 8O :?

your link is working so far, but the pos link can change over time. Right click on that picture and get properties, and use that full address as the proper link. After the Bateau domain name part of the address it has this...

/albums/userpics/16442/normal_DSC_5944.JPG

Here I used the img command tags around the full address...

that address for the picture will not change unlike the pos address...

Enjoy the build. :)

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:12 pm
by PastorBob
Good News! It looks like a Boat!!!

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:36 pm
by PastorBob
I have found a 15hp Nissan 2003 4-stoke long shaft electric start tiller steer for 1250. is this a good deal? I know little of the new Nissan's but really want a 4 stroke!

Motor has few hours (used as a kicker) and no problems... you guys chime in and tell me what you think......

(I also found a good condition Johnson 15 tiller 1991) for 700.

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:29 pm
by Cracker Larry
Sounds like a good price on the Nissan, but I don't have any personal experience with them. Heard good things.

$700 is too much for a 16 year old 15 HP Johnson. I'd spend a little more for the Nissan.

Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:06 am
by TomW
A new Nissan would run you $2000-2400 so that is probably not a bad price on a 3 yr old. Everything I have heard on Nissans is good.

I'd stay away from a 1991 anything, just getting to old, you may need to rebuild it sometime soon, unless you know the guy or it is documented as already having been rebuilt.

Always run a compression test, to check that things are good in the cylinders, and test run it if you can.

Just my two cents.

Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:22 pm
by PastorBob
WE HAVE POWER 8) Went 100 miles and spent just 1250!

This Motor is Perfect! Orig. owner got sick 1st season after purchasing for a kicker sat for 2 years and used last year for duck season. This thing is Like new!!! If I only had a boat to put it on :doh:

Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:31 pm
by Joe H
Pastor Bob, the motor looks great! Now if we could get this Michigan weather to cooperate maybe we can make more progress, this weekend was good but their predicting another cold snap.
Joe

Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:55 pm
by PastorBob
Thanks Joe Let me know if you need to borrow it :lol: your boat is moving along great! This weather is Crazy but big walleyes are making there way in the Detroit river 8)

Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:38 pm
by Cracker Larry
I'd say that's a real good deal 8)

Crank it and let it run awhile about once a month and it will be ready when you are.

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:40 pm
by PastorBob
Ok so I thought I would update my build post...
We are moving 760 miles in 13 days I need to paint the inside of my house, pack, find a place to live, find a new position and oh ya the boat... to make the trip i need a trailer... and to fillet the inside joints.... part of the reason I resigned was due to a neck problem so intense work brings pain... stress adds to the pain.... bring on the narcotics (prescription of course)

I have added a few pics to my gallery one of my favorite is the Wilson boatyard daycare center:

My wife was quite amused to see the kids all taken care of! (Larry the trick is not getting the 1 year old epoxied to the playpen :lol: )

Well more soon as I plan to build in the evenings when I can no longer stand the smell of paint!

Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:24 pm
by gunner
BoB: I printed the picture for my wife and second youngest daughter. My grandson is one-wants to follow me everywhere. The playpen position is perfect. I provide a lot of daycare in support of their young family. I now know it can be done. The move is coming, stay in the loop please. You have friends here that will assist you.

Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:41 pm
by Cracker Larry
Come on down, the fish are biting, the shrimp will be running soon. I'll show you how :D

Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:39 pm
by PastorBob
I have had 2 marathon nights of building! the last 2 nights I have worked on the boat from 10p-2:30am Filleting and laying glass in the seams! Today I will finish the forward compartment and the boat will be officially able to travel :wink: !

I found a good trailer on Craigslist for 250 and spent 3 hours fetching it yesterday, it will need minimal work and looks like it could hold a 3000 lbs 16 ft boat!

I also figured out my fillet problems... I was using collected sawdust from a cabinet shop, I bought some maple flour (nice chocolate color) and the processed flour makes all the difference in the world!! I WILL NEVER USE SAWDUST AGAIN!!! I am mixing 3 or 4 to 1 with Silica and creating perfect "buttery smooth" fillets (thanks for the tip about wetting out rough spots with epoxy Eric)

I will post some pics today My plan is to finish the last bit and fit boat to trailer. Bob...

Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:14 pm
by ks8
Great! So you've got strong chines now. Remember to somehow support the sheer also. The rub rails and frames stiffen that up, once laminated on. Until then there is much flex at the sheer.... at 70mph... 8O :? :roll: Even temporary battens tabbed in will help much for the trip... :)

Good to hear from you again.

Posted: Sat May 12, 2007 3:11 pm
by Spokaloo
Its amazing what that thin little tiny coat of epoxy will do to improve the smoothness...

Glad you got a system that works!

E

Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:53 pm
by TomW
I see you posted again today. Hope the move went well and the family is fine. Catch us up when you get a chance. If you need some help I'm only 2 1/2 hours away in Bryson City, if you ended up in Clinton.

Tom

Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:23 pm
by PastorBob
We are now in Clinton, SC...
Move went as well as could be anticipated when traveling with 3 vehicles a 26 ft cargo trailer half finished boat, 4 adults and 3 children and a dog!

Boat made the trip wonderfully we had to use it for storage and put probably 200 pounds of junk in it while moving.... No cracks or signs of any problems!

I had to get tires on the trailer after leaving because i was scared of the dry rot. Boat pulled great!

I have added some pics to the gallery.....

All inside seams have been taped... I do mean all... I overdid it because of the trip but no problems!!!

I also added a half deck to serve as a place to the kids to sit while boat is at rest and also a live-well!

BOAT ON TRAILER READY FOR THE ROAD!

Half deck added (made from scraps)

Posted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:22 pm
by TomW
Great looking trailer for 250. Your boat looks like you could throw some paint on it, put the motor on it and take it out. I know, I know you have a thousand things you have to do yet but it sure looks good.

Tom

Posted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:05 am
by Dimitris
You have the only trailer with spoked rims that I've seen in my life.

Good news that your move went well. Time to start building again now.

Posted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:44 pm
by PastorBob
There hubcaps!! but they are good looking ones :D. Tom I am far from the water I still have to glass the outside :( But I am getting closer! My 3 night marathon of 10p to 2 - 3 am showed me how fast this boat could come together with a few large chunks of time allotted! Right now I am busy unpacking but I hope to get a lot more work done before finding a new job...

Posted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:13 pm
by msujmccorm
Glad all went well and welcome to the humid south!!

Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:12 pm
by PastorBob
I spent the last few days shaping the outside of the hull.... I was shocked at how good the boat looks after rounding edges.... I kind of had in my mind that the boat would be very square like a metal jon boat.... BUT with some shaping with the belt sanders and the RO (i got a near new dewalt 5" VS with 100 porter cable disks $40 ebay) this will look like a molded boat (if I can nail the finish)!!! Filled remaining holes and cut glass however I will have to wait to lay the glass because I need more Resin!

Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:05 pm
by PastorBob
Well I am officially out of my first 3 gallons of epoxy!! Had my first pot go off in the cup! Epoxy works differently in SC than in MI!!! I need to make smaller batches and order a medium hardener!!

Here is a pic of my assistant hard at work!

Believe it or not she has been helping during every step of the building! She brings her little chair and talks to me as I build, and we work on counting and other things... every evening she wants to do "boat building". It has been a great way to spend time together!!!!

Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:37 pm
by ejohns
Pastor Bob

Summer is quickly approaching, you may want to make that SLOW hardner.

Ernie

Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:46 pm
by TomW
Pastor Bob slow hardener is probably best now. 80's and 90's will be normal temps from now till October.

You have a lovely little lady to be so willing to help her Dad. I remember when I first started helping mine and how proud I felt, especially when we delivered the first cabinet I helped on. I hope she will enjoy being on the water with you as well.

Tom

Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:20 pm
by PastorBob
Slow it is~~~ It is really different here than Michigan where it would take 3 days for glue to dry! Here it dries in the pot! also in MI it would reach the High temp about 2 pm and start cooling off at 4 pm. We don't go out side here from 11 am till 6 pm... and its not even hot yet! 8O we are really enjoying the new place though!!!

Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:55 pm
by Cracker Larry
What they said. Slow hardener. Or it will set before it's stirred.

You're right Pastor Bob, I hate to tell you this, but it's not hot yet. Not as hot as normal either. This is about the coolest and driest spring I can remember. It isn't humid like normal either. 90's are a normal daytime high from now until almost November. 80s for a low.

If you aren't going out at mid-day now, you should be. Just to acclimate yourself to the night time temperatures we'll be having next month :wink:

I've got a friend that lives in northern Minnesota who came down and visited with me a few years ago. We spent the entire month of May and June that year fishing, started in Savannah, fished down the coast to Miami, crossed to Bimini and fished the Bahamas for a couple weeks, then fished the stream back up to Savannah.

His exact words before he left were colorful:

"I have never been so @#$ %$&& hot, for so *&%# ^&% long in my whole *$^^ $#@ life. And how do you stand all these $%#@ %^& %$#^$ BUGS :?:

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:38 am
by TomW
Larry is absolutly right you really should be getting outside now while it is still cool. This mid-upper 80's and no humidity is nothing yet. The doctors say 8 glasses of water a day, do it 1 an hour is a good goal if you are working outside.

Larry you forgot to tell him about the Palmetto bugs. :lol:

Tom

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:02 am
by msujmccorm
Another 3-4 weeks you'll be sweating just going out for the morning paper. 8O

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:29 am
by PastorBob
Yea the bugs are worse than the heat!! kids already learned about fire ants, and i have been worned that the roaches fly here!!!

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:09 am
by Boomer
We don't go out side here from 11 am till 6 pm...
Hmmmm-----probably shouldn't tell Pastor Bob about the traditional antidote to deal with the heat, but let's just say that it made Milwaukee famous.

Seriously, as you get closer to finishing, you have to watch out for dropping flop sweat onto your epoxy/paint. Makes a real mess.

Robb White, late S. Ga. boatbuilder, advocated doing epoxy work in the late afternoon, so the wood would be cooling, to minimize off-gassing.

BTW, those aren't roaches, they're "palmetto bugs" :)

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:18 pm
by Cracker Larry
And you haven't got close to the salt marshes yet and met the local sand gnats, which are guaranteed to make a preacher curse, at least to himself. :D

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:50 pm
by TomW
and its not July 1st yet so the "the no see um's arn't out yet" Purchase some Deet. :help:

Tom :D

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:46 pm
by msujmccorm
The 'no seeum's" are leaving Biloxi, headed your way. Enjoy!!!!

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:22 pm
by robbiro
They got to I-20 last week and were headed North and East fast. Heard one of them say that they heard that there was some fresh blood over that way. Pastor Bob, welcome and enjoy the pleasures of the South. Slow hardener is a must after May 1.

Keep on Buildin'

Robbie

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:32 pm
by Boomer
And we won't even talk about the yellow flies. Dang they can take a plug out of you.

BTW, all this dry weather seems to have kept most of the mosquitoes down, but the ticks are terrible and the snakes are moving much more than normal.

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:33 pm
by PastorBob
Thanks for the heads up!!! I actually did go out for most of the day... It is not that bad after the initial sweating!!

I lived in Alaska for 2 years 6 miles from a road you had to boat to the island and back to your car... The bugs there are relentless 100% all the time or you would lose a pint by the end of the day!

I am really loving the new community, Church and people.... there is such a difference in environment here!

Ordered epoxy, Cloth for Live well and cooler, and fairing materials today SLOW hardener it is!

I also wandered to the closest reservoir today 15 minutes away now I am really excited to get moving!!!!

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:58 am
by Cracker Larry
I actually did go out for most of the day... It is not that bad after the initial sweating
Bob, I detect a hint of problem, so allow me to give you some Southern advice.

If you quit sweating you are becoming dehydrated. Sweat is a good thing, keep it coming. It cools our body by evaporation A lot of fluids are required for good hydration, 12-16 ounces an hour, all day when working outside. If you are not sweating you aren't drinking enough. If you are not urinating every hour or so, you are not drinking enough, and if your urine isn't clear, you aren't drinking enough. This is important for you and your family to know. Sports drinks are probably the best thing, because you lose electrolytes. I personally can't stand that much Gator Aid. Like Boomer said, most of us drink beer, but that takes some conditioning too :D Ice tea and lemonade is also good. Soft drinks are bad. One more thing, take a salt tablet every couple of hours if you are sweating a lot.

It may sound extreme but many transplanted northerners die every year down here just mowing their yards. Heat strokes are a daily occurance. You must acclimate yourself, pace yourself and stay hydrated. The best way is to go out early and start work. Let your body warm up as the day warms and stay outside. The worst way is to go in and out of air conditioning all day. You have to learn to pace yourself in your work. Southerners have always been accused of being slow and not getting in a hurry. We even talk slow. It's not because we're lazy, the heat has trained us to work this way.

BTW, the sweating also helps some with the bugs. They do love a fresh showered sweet smelling body. The funkier you smell, the less they bother you. Soaps. perfumes, colognes all attrack bugs, as do certain colors. Stay away from reds, blues and yellows when working outside. I prefer light grays.

One more comment about the bugs, and a lot of people don't believe this, but it is a mind over matter thing. The bugs sense when you are distressed and will attack with fury. The more you swat them, the worse they get. They will get agitated right along with you. It creates a frenzied cyle that will send you running indoors. If you can put them out of your mind and not let them get you worked up, they will hardly bother you. Believe this or not, but it's true.

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:09 am
by nort
Don't forget my personal favorite, chiggers.

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:11 am
by Boomer
Like Boomer said, most of us drink beer, but that takes some conditioning too Very Happy
And years of training. 1000's of reps doing 12 oz. curls.
The funkier you smell, the less they bother you.
Think we should tell him how to keep the gnats away?

You can tell that you are dealing with a sure 'nough cracker when you see him out working in his "h'over-halls", barefoot and full commando.

Take the warnings seriously. As I get older I find that my heat tolerance gets lower. One thing a lot of people miss is that as you sweat, you tend to saturate your clothing, and with the high humidity, the sweat doesn't evaporate. Your body temp starts to go up, and you quit sweating, but you don't notice it because your shirt is soaked. If I'm at home, its not unusual for me to go through 4 or 5 t-shirts a day. If I'm on the lake or in the woods, I think nothing of taking my shirt off and rinsing it in any available water.

I never get too far from a jug of water, and like Larry says, I watch my urine (or lack thereof). If you find that you are not tinkling on your usual schedule, you need to slow down and hydrate.

One other think I've learned from my coaching friends is that you need to hydrate in advance of any activity. Once you dehydrate, it takes a while for your body to rehydrate.

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:37 pm
by TomW
I can't stress what Larry said more seriously. I think I mentioned it earlier, but he brought more detail to it. I have lost 10lbs in a day working outside when I wasn't watching my fluids closely enough. Fortunatly I had been drinking enough not to have any bad consequences and I am a big man. Stay away from Caffiene iced tea is okay. Water is best and short breaks while you take your water break is a good idea it helps remember to drink that water, go to the bathroom etc.

I always wear gray t-shirts and most important I like a floppy brimmed hat to keep the sun off all parts of my face and shoulders. The sun will burn you and the kids in a short period of time so sunscreens are a must.

Have fun down here, and yes the southern people seem to be cut from a different cloth than the people up north I grew up with. A southerner by choice.

Tom

Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:36 pm
by sds
IME, the better shape you're in, the easier and the more you sweat. It's like a trained response. Gotta hydrate to keep up.

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:42 pm
by PastorBob
UPDATE.... (for those interested)

I have been Glassing the interior and setting up my layout for the bow compartment.... In the forward end I put a divider to create a draining anchor locker... (some one else had done this forgot who....) the rest of the space will be a large cooler or dry storage... this will drain in to the live well below so that I can empty water easily. I added a Half deck to serve as a small seat for the kids and a live well just after the forward frame. I put Blue 1/2" foam in the cooler and livewell and glassed over it with 6oz plain fiberglass....

TIP.... I learned something very helpful to pass on to everyone.....
Foam so slick that lay up was a Pain in the neck so after a failed attempt I remembered reading on the manufacturers website "whom must not be spoken of" that they use spray adhesive to fit glass in the mold before injection.... So I used just a tiny bit of 3m adhesive to hold in place and it worked amazing 8O.... I am curious if the is a good idea when laying glass in tight areas.... this was a non critical area where glass was for lining not structure.... it wetted out fine and as far as I can tell there is no adverse affects...

Today I laid tape and Glass on the Hull 8) I am ready to begin faring!!!

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:15 pm
by ks8
treat yourself to new pack of filters for the respirator. :)

...and get ready for the frogs and hail that burst into flames when it hits the ground...

My life is split between NY and NC. NC last week, took a one hour *walk* in the woods... pulled off five ticks. Even the bugs are looking to keep hydrated, with your blood.... 8O

good news on your progress. keep at it. :)

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:23 pm
by Boomer
I don't see a problem with the 3M.

I've used the big box foam in a can to "tack" down foam and other flotation materials. Just a dot will do. That works too.

Hot enough for you yet? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:02 pm
by Russ5924
I try to get most of my work on the boat done early. Got out first thing this morning and put the final coat of paint on the sides. My neighbor cut his grass an hour after I got done, I now have non slip sides :cry: Was windy and the dust came right over the fence into my patio. Will have to see how bad and wet sand it down after the paint is dry :doh: I came down to FL about 5 years ago and still not crazy about the heat. I think you have to be born down here to tolerate it for most of the summer :)

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:48 pm
by msujmccorm
Not born down here, but it takes a good 5 years or so.
One day at a time!

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:08 pm
by Cracker Larry
Gosh Russ, I would have just walked over and had a friendly discussion with my neighbor, 2 beers in hand. Us born Southerners are reasonable folk. I'm sure if you had offered to cut his grass for him, later in the day after your paint dried, he would have been glad to oblige, after he drank a few of your beers :wink: Probably less work in the long run for you. Seriously, if he'd known you had just painted your boat, maybe he would have waited and cut it himself later. Us Southerners usually discuss things like that with our neighbors ahead of time. I know it's a difficult concept for yous guys who aren't used to knowing your neighbors, but that's the way we do it down here. :)

And for yall recently displaced yankees, no, it aint hot yet. The sea water temp is barely 80s. Gonna be 90s. The soil temp is still barely 80s. Gonna be 90s. Night temps are high 60s, low 70s. Cool 8) Gonna soon be 80s at night. June isn't hot. August is hot. Sept. is hot. October is hot. First day of summer was only a few days ago. Yall got a long ways to go before it gets any cooler:lol:

And 5 years aint enough......

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:13 pm
by Boomer
Gosh Russ, I would have just walked over and had a friendly discussion with my neighbor, 2 beers in hand. Us born Southerners are reasonable folk.
If he's like my neighbors, if he'd known I was painting my boat, he would have come over on his own, helped himself to my beer, pulled up a chair in the shade, and told me how to do it, how his daddy and granddaddy did it, and how paint isn't worth a damn since all the Yankees moved here and that's why the climate has changed.

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:12 pm
by Lon
Got snowed on twice today (25 June) gettin' firewood up high.
Would not turn down a flounder, shrimp and blue crab dinner.
But dogone it, chiggers put me in a hospital.

Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:39 pm
by TomW
Russ you must live in the suburbs to have a neighbor that close. I had a package misdelivered last week by FedEx and got told oh you must live in a rural area. I mean just cause its 6 miles out and then back to my house and my nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away. :D

Sorry to hear about your mishap, but the beers sound like a great idea.

Tom

Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:58 am
by Boomer
Got snowed on twice today (25 June)
that just ain't right :doh:

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:27 am
by WobblyLegs
All this talk about heat and beers and neighbourly neighbours in the South makes me want to move there. Sounds great!

Any space for foreigners?

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:56 am
by Cracker Larry
I've got a few acres for sale :D

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:49 pm
by PastorBob
Just wanted to let you all know that I am about finished fairing.... pics to come soon.... I am still here! :D

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:01 pm
by Cracker Larry
Haven't succumed to the heat yet?

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:26 am
by TomW
Pastor Bob haven't heard from you in a while thought I would send a note and see how you were doing. Hope all is well and let us know how the boat and all is.

Tom

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:57 am
by ks8
Maybe he's fishing? 8)

He just relocated his family. There's all sorts of fishing to be done... :wink: :lol:

Give us a shout PB, that all is well. :)

Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:17 am
by Cracker Larry
He's not far. He wrote this on my build thread July 27..
Larry I enjoy the report... keep me updated on the fishing down there... I will be coming down in a few weeks... Also if you need a Metal building let me know my Bro. designs and builds in claxton... Glad to here Sam is coming around...
He might be in Claxton :?:

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:05 pm
by PastorBob
Thanks for asking about me…
Here is what is going on… Our move is temporary. The church here is graciously letting us stay at their parsonage until we leave… I have now begun to send out my ministry resume to seek a new full time position (if anyone knows of a SBC church seeking a pastor email me)… However, the savings only lasted so long so I had to find a job… It just so happened that I found a classic (mostly wooden) boat broker in my small town with a building full of boats needing work and no one to do it! (Can you say providence)… So I have formed a company… WILSON SHIPWRIGHT SERVICES and am working for the broker and his many customers… any thing from replacing a few screws to complete restoration and I am also speaking to a few people about commissioning new construction (1 fs-17, and 1 replica Chris Craft barrel back in cold molding). I plan on continuing the company after I find a new church position, to do restorations and construction.

My boat has not progressed much mostly because I did not have money to keep going, I have moved it to the shop and plan to start working on it again… the bottom is 90% faired sides need work and interior still needs faired…

Here are some pics of the boats I am working on at the shop…

1986 Marko 23’… this is a complete restoration (minus drive train) new hardware and full paint job… some structural work as the stringer and the liner did not fit properly and created large cracks… this is a big boat for 23’…

Next Project.. Christ Craft Sedan needs hull and bottom stripped any boards needing attention will be dealt with, epoxy coated and filled hull will be smooth and hard when finished!

1991 Elite Craft topside is a replica of a chris craft rivera hull is fiberglass
with a thin wood grain film applied (like a station wagon) then the hull is
sprayed in clear gel coat.. this is one of the best built fiberglass boats I
have ever seen! ROCK SOLID NO FLEX ANY WHERE.. Boats where originally $$$$ and still go quite high! this one needs a good polishing!

Here are some long term projects..

Some of the boats are already restored and just need regular maintaine (and an occasional work out :D )

Country Singeres Allen Jacksons Boat Most Beautiful Restoration I have ever seen!

These are only about half of what the broker has here in town and ¼ of what he is currently brokering so you can see I have a lot of work! Add to it customer projects!!

I want to thank all of you for your participation in this board if it where not from learning from your knowledge I would not be able to do this!!! Also thanks to JMM and Shine…

Larry you know if I was in Claxton I would be looking you up! 8) (I’ll come with in the month!)

Thanks again to everyone!

PastorBob

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:40 pm
by Russ5924
Myself I would have to say you found a better calling :D Years ago would have given anything for that job. :?:

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:39 am
by TomW
Thanks for the pictures and the update. Those are some beautiful boats that you have the opportunity to work around/with. Good luck with the job search and the new company and keep us posted as you can.

Tom

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:24 pm
by PastorBob
BACK AT IT!!!

Well cruising with Larry last week was what I needed to get me motivated!! So today I took the boat out of the corner off the trailer cleaned out the trash and flipped it over.... I felt really lazy so I used the chain hoist and cranes to flip a 150 pound boat...

Here is a current pic (cell phone)

the bottom is mostly faired although seeing larry's OD18 has made me doubt... I will most likely add 1 more coat of fairing... I made the runners from local white oak rough sawn I brought them pretty far up towards the bow and finished the end nicely... this should work for any beaching situation!!! (I will post a pic later) the sides need to be faired however I have a new pad for my polisher that makes a 8" sander this thing works great!!!! I knocked down some high spots in 15 min. that would have been and hour or more with 5" ro... anyone who has a VS polisher (or grinder i guess) I would recommend getting a sanding pad and paper... the paper is high (I ebayed some for about 1.20 a sheet) but it lasts a long time....

Bigger is Better :) Bob

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:44 pm
by timoub007
Looking good PB and glad to see you back at it.

If you plan on beaching, I'd highly recommend covering your runners with a layer of glass. I don't know if you saw what mine looked like after a season of abuse, but they have biax over them now and are going to get graphite soon too.

Tim

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:50 pm
by TomW
Way to go Pastor Bob. I think Larry biaxed his runners also. It wouldn't be a bad idea.

Tom

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:17 pm
by WobblyLegs
Looking at those boats...

8O 8O 8O
PastorBob wrote:So I have formed a company… WILSON SHIPWRIGHT SERVICES and am working for the broker and his many customers…
Any jobs going?

Tim.

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:16 pm
by Cracker Larry
How about that :!: The Cracker motivated the Pastor :doh: Maybe it was my language :oops:

I did biax my runners. I biax everything :D

Looks good Bob.

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:03 pm
by PastorBob
Had more time today as I am waiting for paint to come in for one project and varnish to dry on another (yes Tim Lots of work)

In this pic you can see how I did my runners all the way up and finished with a rounded edge... some times I like the decision to do this other times I think it was dumb :x... again the idea is that it will protect the hull at any angle...

After faring the port side in 20 min with my new favoriate sander I glassed runners with biax just to water line (thats all the tape I had).... My slow hardner was about boiling in my hand.... next i plan to make a form to spred faring compound along the runners like tim did....

(in the background you can see the 23 ft marko turning blue :D)

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:35 pm
by ks8
Good to see you back at the build. :)

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:05 am
by colonialc19
Pastor Bob, I was just reading up on your thread, checking out those pictures and I read about your church situation. My church is now looking for a Media Minister, its a full time position. If you know anybody interested you can email me or just leave a reply on this board. I'm not sure if they already have someone in mind for this position or not, but our current person is leaving this week. Hope this helps.
Daniel

email=marksx4@aol.com

Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:51 pm
by PastorBob
Again today I had time between projects to get some work done so I put down some faring on low spots and on the runners...

(notice the Marko in the background is now dark blue 8) )

Here is a pic of the 91 elite craft finished this is after fixing scratches wet sanding 400 600 800 1000 compounding polishing and waxing yes it was a lot of work to make this boat shine.....

colonial no one comes to mind....

Tomorrow I am fishing possibly spraying another coat on the marco most likely will not touch my boat till next week.... This week I should start a 1955 Chris Craft Continental 22 restoration Strip Sand Stain Paint and Varnish.... Its a big boat I have not seen it however all wood is supposed to be good :? well see..... [/list]

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:22 am
by TomW
P Bob keep forget telling you how great your new avatar is with your daughter helping her dad. Family is so precious in these times.

Tom

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:45 pm
by ejohns
PastorBob

Please contact me about a possible postion.

Ernie

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:17 am
by PastorBob
Ernie,
I would love to find out more... (especially if it is around Brunswick we have family on both sides close, and love the area) I emailed you through the site but I am not sure if it is working so here is my address please contact me directly and save the info as the address will mysteriously disappear in a few days as I do not need 500 emails a day informing me how to better please my wife :x and such...

Thanks

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:45 am
by ejohns
PastorBob

Thanks for the reply. I have sent you an email and have your email address now, so you can remove your address from the Message Board.

Thanks

Ernie

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:34 am
by PastorBob
Fairing Sanding Fairing Sanding .... When will this stop.....

I coated the bottom with Epoxy and sprayed a guide coat only to reveal lots of little dips and such... so back to fairing and sanding....... I did make a long board out of scrap 1/4" that works great if I had been sanding with this from the beginning I would have cut my sanding as shaping in half :x.... I will make another post with instructions for making the sanding board.....

Work has come to a near halt.... The boat I was planning on restoring next was in worse shape than the owner expected and he was not interested in fixing the rotten keel and i was not interested in putting a bandaid on it....

A few people have emailed me about building boats for them but I have heard little back.... So now I am looking for any work I can find... and selling stuff until I can find something.... the kids are afraid there on eBay next 8O.... I will post more later BOB

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:05 am
by PastorBob
Project is on halt.....

I just got a great job as a plug maker for a manufacturer..... I now have 9 boats to build.... and need to move the family across the state....

Thanks Bateau... I will still be around... But I can't post pictures of the new plugs :( ..... well maybe a few :D I will be working in a new church too....

Bob

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:06 am
by PastorBob
Project is on halt.....

I just got a job as a plug maker for a manufacturer..... I now have 9 boats to build....
Thanks Bateau... I will still be around... But I can't post pictures of the new plugs :( ..... well maybe a few :D
Bob

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:08 am
by timoub007
That's great Bob. Where is the next place you're going to call "home"?

Take care,
Tim

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:00 pm
by WobblyLegs
PastorBob wrote:I just got a great job as a plug maker for a manufacturer..... I now have 9 boats to build.... and need to move the family across the state....
Life just doesn't stay still for you, does it?

NINE boats to build? One's enough for me! (At a time.)

Good luck with the move. I hate moving. Maybe 'cos I've done it so much!

Tim

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:37 pm
by PastorBob
Company is a "famous" boat maker...

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:04 pm
by Cracker Larry
You are close to some good fishing lakes and pretty country up there. Best of luck with the new job. Stop by on your next trip to Claxton :D

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:57 pm
by jayb01
Bob that now puts you w/in 1 hour or less striking distance of quite a few lakes: Hartwell, Jocassee, Keowee, Succession, Greenwood, Russell, and Clarks Hill (uh, Lake Thurmond for the unknowing).

Spent many a year in nearby Clemson. I would recommend trying the blue cheese if you like it.

Also getting closer to bear country.........

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:44 pm
by PastorBob
well I am holding on moving the family... I have changed to a consaltant / contractor so I do not have to commit... I lost count of how many times I have already heard "good enough"... Don't expect me to be buying a molded boat soon... This indursty would implode if people knew how most companys build.... 8O This is an enlighting experiance.... do not let any one ever knock your "home built boat"... at least it was built from plans 8O... rather than a 3rd or 4 generation mold....

Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:43 pm
by Cracker Larry
We're you working for Bayliner :?: :lol:

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:26 pm
by ks8
BIL bought a 14 year old 21 foot Trophy. Used it for 5 excellent years, at least 70 long trips... maybe closer to 100... lots of stripers, a few sharks, etc. Then sold it. One locker floor had rot. Was a good deal... can't complain. But it is nice to know what is in the boat when its you that built it. :) Also nice to now know how to repair them, especially with help from here.

You probably don't want to mention the manufacturer PB... many industries are *small*, that is, everyone knows at least someone who knows someone else, where you hope to get your next contract job. Legal entanglements, etc. Hey... if it was good enough, then it was good enough. 8O :?

I just sealed my port topsides fairing even though I could have faired a couple last spots, because I'm finally learning to say....

yep...

good enough! :lol:

Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:23 pm
by WobblyLegs
ks8 wrote:...because I'm finally learning to say....

yep...

You sure about that? :roll: :roll: :wink: :wink:

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:30 pm
by ks8
WobblyLegs wrote:
ks8 wrote:...because I'm finally learning to say....

yep...

You sure about that? :roll: :roll: :wink: :wink:
of course not! well... maybe... gee, I don't know.... :lol:

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:52 pm
by PastorBob
No it is not bayliner... but it is not much better...

ks8 you are right about small industry's... the sad thing is I work with people out of Chris Craft, Donzi, Rinker... and others that all say it is the same everywhere 8O

Boats if engineered are reverse engineered at best... Company brings in an old mold or splash of a boat makes there changes to the mold off of "experience" and then produces new mold and boat that goes to an engineer to then "figure" coast guard #'s and then draw "plans" to send to copyright... every thing is done in reverse... this happens all over there are exceptions however few.... I am amazed 8O ...

ks your good enough is some what different.... I found a 1/2" concave gap along stern of a deck plug that should be straight... the hull mold is dead on... I bring it up before the plug is finished and molded.... "good enough" in 2 months when they began to build this boat and go to put the deck on the hull 1 of 2 things will happen... A. the transom on the hull will be ground 1/2" or more due to thickness of lamination (because who knows how thick it will be because the boat is not engineered)... do you think 1/2" of grinding out glass where the outboard hangs would make a difference in transom strength... or B. they will some how "make it fit" over-stressing the deck to hull joint causing cracking somewhere.... If I am there at that time I can't wait to say "Good enough" :lol: :roll: :doh:

I am learning an incredible amount about the molding process... Finishing process as well as so great "tricks" for building and fairing... I do plan on sharing later...

Sorry for the rant.... Hopefully some one will find it educational if not entertaining...

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:24 am
by ks8
Looking forward to those tricks and tips for fairing, etc. And... some pictures of the GF build. Progress there? Or does the shoemaker have no shoes? :lol:

:)

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:07 pm
by PastorBob
here is one great trick.... when laying an inside radius (fillet) in a corner and 3 points come together it is always a pain to make it presentable.... use a small light bulb to shape the intersection it is the perfect shape and leaves a very clean finish.... or you can wax the light bulb with a mold release wax and push it in to the corner and wait for the epoxy to kick off release the bulb and presto perfect corners!!!

Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:46 pm
by Cracker Larry
Excellet idea. I was fighting those 3 point corners today. Should have read this 8)

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:52 pm
by PastorBob
I'm Back...

finished the project for the manufacturer (I think I built the ugliest boat ever) and am done hearing good enough from anyone but myself :)...

I learned a lot while I was there and could now build my own production boats (only I would do it right). but for now I am back to mine!

Hull is fair... ready for paint or graphite if I decide to do it... today I put on splash rail. Here are some pics...

Dog keeps Licking epoxy 8O

After visiting Larry this summer I decided to square my transom I did it pretty much the way he did....

As you can see I used nemours layers of marker paint... I had a few bad spots from assembling too fast that where a pain in the bahookie to fair...

I am debating On how to finish the inside... I sold my motor a few months a go when we where in a pinch so now I am thinking of going with a larger one and a center console like this...

Or making it a drift boat like this...

I know it would not be Ideal so lets not debate it.... It would work on mild rivers and be a simple fix until a proper model could be built :D.

Here's the thing I could be moving to west as I am talking to a few Churches that way... or to the coast as I am talking to a few that way... this will determine my decision....

I may also just build to plan and update as I see fit...
does the shoemaker have no shoes?
Exactly.... I have only been fishing 2 times this year... :x

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:43 pm
by TomW
PB good to hear from you. The Freestone Skiffs are awesome boats in the western rivers for strurgeon and steelhead fishing. Have seen pictures of them tusseleing with 150 lb. sturgeon.

Tom

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:59 pm
by Cracker Larry
Looks great Bob!

Come back and go shrimping with me before it gets cold, or you move! I'm serious. Let's go :D

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:24 pm
by ks8
Glad to see you're getting a bit more done. Little by little... next thing you know... a splash away! :)

Let us know, when you know, if its east or west. :)

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:49 pm
by PastorBob
Well I am still here.... I had a busy month where I played a marketing annalist for a big project... project is over so I opened the garage to look at the boat again... I put down some epoxy 4 days ago that still has some stick to it so I'm thinking it's time to switch hardeners :help:...

I still have no Idea where we will end up... I am talking with Churches all over the country, now that the holidays are wrapping up things should start moving again. building is near stopped because there is no extra funds right now. I am trying to do what I can with what I have but I am starting to run out of what I need. I do however have plenty of help! Image

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:05 pm
by TomW
Welcome back Pastor Bob. What a great crew. You should be proud of them. One can only do what one can do, the family comes first the boat will get there as she will.

Hope your Christmas was good for you and have a happy New Year in all respects.

Tom

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:46 pm
by PastorBob
Oh yea we should have a 4th sander come June!!!

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:06 pm
by TomW
May God and the Lord Jesus look over you. Congratulations. That is wonderful news. Now if some of those jobs come through.

Tom

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:35 pm
by colonialc19
Congrats on number 4!!!! :D

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:37 pm
by PastorBob
Thank you all for you congrats~

Larry and other in the south I figured out why you like it here! 70 degrees in January! I LOVE it!!!

I with the weather so nice I have been able to get to some things:
1. I cut out my hatches for the foredeck and glued the lips to the bottom.

2. did the same thing to the aft deck

3. working on the same thing for the live well that I added.

This boat has a lot of storage! the very front hatch is for a separate anchor locker.

and in the rear I decided to put in a 3 piece access because I wanted to run braces from the transom to the framing.

I like this lay out except for one thing Hinges!!! I wanted to use flush mount surface hinges Image

But at 6-15 dollars each the get expensive Fast and with all those great hatches I would need 18 8O

I really like flush hinges so I have an idea from a kayak I built I plan on using 1-1/2" webbing shock cord and buckles to create a flush and tight hinge system.

I have tried to explain this 5 times and it makes no sense... I have no Idea how to draw it So I will have to build it and take pics :D basically the webbing will hold like a hing when opened and the shock cord will cinch down the hatch when closed.

Larry, and others in my climate I need more epoxy what should I get? Slow or med... I was going to order slow until this week...

Another question for those who have built in live wells did you insulate or just glass inside the box? I am beginning to think about how I want to do it and my options are 1. just leave it alone for now and go back to it later 2. glass coat the inside of the box and use the core for insulation. 3. no glass just resin and paint. 3 use blue foam (polystyrene?) to line the inside of the box and glass on top of it or (option 3.5) put door skin on the foam and glass the door skin... Any Ideas????

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:45 pm
by TomW
Pastor Bob definately go with the blue insulation at least an 1". Even then you may have to add ice down here in our good old 90 degree summers. Also put angles in the corners so the stupid bait don't swin into the corner and stop. Some of them are so stupid they forget they have to swim to survive and get air through there gills. :lol:

Tom

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:58 am
by ks8
Yeah, more storage than I thought... great pictures.

I can picture a few ways you can do the shockcord hinge from the inside, but certainly do post those pictures when you've got one hatch engineered. I will have a temporary shock cord arrangement holding my cuddy hatch closed, until such details are finalized (after some sea trials), but I'd like to see what you do in case it would work out well on my forward lockers...

You see, they are small openings, but I'm still very interested in your approach. Great to see someone able to mix epoxy in this weather break.

:)

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:10 pm
by Cracker Larry
Looks good, Bob.
Larry, and others in my climate I need more epoxy what should I get? Slow or med...
I'm using mostly medium now, but I keep both and use slow on warm days or when I have a lot to do at once, like glueing sole panels. The weather is crazy but normal. Last week we had highs in the 30's. This week near 80. If you can, get some of both.

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:53 pm
by PastorBob
Hatch Testing 1

Well I got a roll of 1 1/4 webbing and Buckles and 1/4 shock cord off ebay and started to experiment with my idea for secure flush hatches.

Here is the first test...

View with hatch secured the webbing sticking out is the pull.

Give a tug and this is what you get.... You have to Click the buckle to release the tension off the "hinge" straps... The cord is 1 piece so when you pull it to attach the buckle, it tensions the hinges So both sides end up real snug aginst the deck.

The webbing holds the hatch secure when open...

The blocks are for trial... I think the final version will have bimini eyes Image

All the braces and cleats are finsihed and awaiting warm weather to use up the last bit of epoxy....

In all I think that this will work good!!!

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:48 pm
by Russ5924
How did you get those hatches cut out so perfect. 8O If a Jig saw you are a lot better than I am with one. Really looking good you only did the front and rear seat I was thinking about doing all three with gas tanks in the center seat,battery in the front and storage under the back seat :doh: Still haven't glued my seat in so can take them out to cut the hatches :D Just took another look at the pictures you did do the center seat.

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:40 pm
by PastorBob
Russ- They are far from perfect.... I did use my jigsaw and then I clean up the edges with a belt sander... For my next boat I want this: Image Combo edge / spindle sander... I have lockers in the front deck (3) an added livewell Mid lockers (2) and stern (3). I am undecided on all my layout but I think 1 12 gal tank will be more than fine... Larry how far can you get on 12 Gallons?

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:52 pm
by chicagoross
Nice work, Pastor Bob - innovative thinking!

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:19 pm
by timoub007
Looks great Bob!

If I can locate some of that webbing and stretch cord I'm going to do the same for my one hatch cover.

Glad to see the progress.
Tim

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:58 pm
by davidtx
I like the way these set completely flush with the deck. I'm going to have to ponder on this option!

-david

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:06 am
by TomW
Very nice Pastor Bob now that is some ingenuity at work. They look nice and look like they work well.

Tom

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:16 am
by Russ5924
I would rather go with two 6 Gallon tanks if I go with a 15HP may even go with two 3 gallon tanks . Take up a little more room but easier to remove and carry and if only one tank needed just leave one at home.Plus can put them in my other boat if need a 12 gallon tank will weight 72 pounds full. Also if going with a 2 stroke will be easier to regulate the oil in the fuel :D

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:30 am
by PastorBob
I ment to say 6.... not 12... A 6 Gal will get you a day or two and then an extra 3 gal can on days you just might use it...

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:12 pm
by ks8
I like the web hinge with the shock cord pulling it down flush and tight. Simple and Nice! :)

I think it is too tight in my seat top lockers for it, but I'm toying with a variation on that theme that doesn't need the web *pull* and may use a simple S hook instead of the click buckle. Thanks much! Yes, I think a variation on that will be the definite here... 8)

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:09 pm
by PastorBob
KS check out this pic... it is what got me thinking... I would go this way for small hatches that are not opened often...

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:19 pm
by Jerry-rigged
I like that hindge design, I will have to remember it for my kayak build later... I have seen something similer, but without the webbing - the bungi just hooked on a hook on the hatch lid... it was tought to get off, though... Yours looks better.

As far as the gas tank, on my john, I have 20hp, the most I have burned in one day is about 4 gallons - there were some long (for me) 30 - 45 minute runs that day...I think about 30 miles total. This is in an aluminum 48X14 john, with a bunch of crap in it (heavy)... runs about 22-23 WOT.

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:34 pm
by PastorBob
Thanks for the input Jerry... I believe the pic above is the system your explaining... Mine is ver easy to close and open... I am already planing for version 1.4 which will unitize better a better fulcrum for the "hinge" side :doh: ...

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:21 pm
by Cracker Larry
Neat hatch system, Bob 8)
I am undecided on all my layout but I think 1 12 gal tank will be more than fine... Larry how far can you get on 12 Gallons?
I see later where you really meant 6 gallons. As you know, I've got a 12 and a 6 gallon for mine. Normal running with my 25 burns about 1.2 GPH at 22 mph. Call that 4 hours solid running time with a little safety factor, 90 miles. I always try to plan a trip by thirds, 1/3 fuel out, 1/3 back, 1/3 left in the tank. With this philosophy applied, 60 miles is a comfortable range with a 6 gallon tank and my set up. Others results may differ :lol:

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:48 pm
by ks8
Cracker Larry wrote:Others results may differ :lol:
And some settling of contents may occur during shipping.... :P

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:05 am
by Russ5924
I have a 12 gallon built in tank in my other boat with a Mercury 40HP. I came back from fishing one day and put in 11.6 gallon 8O After that I went out and bought a spare 3 gallon tank :D Found the fuel gage is about worthless about the only time is accurate is if the boat is on the trailer and not moving :doh:

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:48 am
by Jerry-rigged
PastorBob wrote:Thanks for the input Jerry... I believe the pic above is the system your explaining... Mine is ver easy to close and open... I am already planing for version 1.4 which will unitize better a better fulcrum for the "hinge" side :doh: ...
Yes, that system with the piramaids is very similer to what my buddy Kurt built into his boat. The hatchs look great - flush with to topside hardware to mess up the kayak lines - but they are a little tough to open and close - your system looks like it would be easer to open and close...

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:53 pm
by PastorBob
**** Big Announcement****

We are Leaving the south before the bugs come out and moving west... waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy west 8O!

To Hawthorne, NV. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Hawthorne ... p&ct=title

I have accepted a new position and hope to move by May.
We are surrounded by lakes (though I am unsure of the fishing) and the Ocean is a days drive away (though it is the other ocean :lol: ). Great thing about the GF-16 is it is very versatile and will work anywhere!

Before the 2500 mile trip I plan to fair and paint the bottom.... as well as secure the decks and reinstall bow and stern eyes... 8O

Thanks so much to every one here for your encouragement and prayers this last year... I truly appreciate the concern many have shown.

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:47 pm
by TomW
Pastor Bob Congratulations :!: Could not be happier for a great guy. Looks like your up in the mountains and could see some serious snow. And wow and really good sized lake right on the edge of town. Should be some trout in it. Safe trip and God go with you and your family.

Tom

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:35 pm
by PastorBob
Looks like your up in the mountains and could see some serious snow.
Well Yes and No... We are in the mountains but also in a desert.... So warm temps for the mountains and cool temps for the desert very mild climate.... 5" of rain a year (lots of boat building days :D ) Elevation is over 4000'....
Here is a pic... Lake in background....

However if I want snow... the next range over is the Sierra Nevada mountains... Yosemite is 50 Miles away...

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:18 pm
by Cracker Larry
Bob, I'm happy for you but will miss you dropping in. That part of the country is beautiful 8O Dori and I just spent a week at Tahoe. Takes your breath away just looking at it. :D

Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:33 pm
by timoub007
Congrats Bob. I'm happy to hear you're moving on to a new position/church. Those pics are gorgeous, a part of the country I haven't seen yet. If my wife ever gets a job outside of public accountancy I hope to take the girls snow skiing. It has been over 5 years since my wife and I have been able to go.

Anyway, congrats again.

T

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:36 am
by gunner
Congratulations. You are now back doing the task God set forth for you! You will remain in our prayers.

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:48 am
by tech_support
Very nice place. If you have to be away from the Ocean, thats the way to do it. :!:

We went through that area in August to Yosemite :)

There are some boat builder sin that area - just yesterday I saw a quart of primer going to Truckee

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:42 am
by jeremy
Congratulations, Pastor. It is pretty out there.

I do still miss the ocean, but mountains do make for some interesting geographic diversity.

Shine - Truckee is right next to Lake Tahoe. It's a nice spot, but man, I went through there in September, in the snow...

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:51 am
by tech_support
jeremy wrote:Shine - Truckee is right next to Lake Tahoe. It's a nice spot, but man, I went through there in September, in the snow...
We spent an afternoon in truckee - it was nice and warm in August :)

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:06 pm
by Joe H
Congrad's Bob, man you get around, hope all works out and good luck there. I was in Truckee a couple of years ago visiting my brother, over 15" of snow the day after I got there, very nice area of the country.

Good Luck again!

Joe

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:17 pm
by Cracker Larry
Have yall ever watched the salmon at the spillway where the Truckee River meets the lake :?: 8O

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:51 pm
by Joe H
Had I known about the salmon I would have been there! Next time.

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:22 am
by jeremy
Nope, sounds fun though; they're amazing critters. Too bad for them that they're so tasty, too.

I used to go to the fish ladder in Seattle very often. They had a great underwater viewing area. Well, the fish were underwater, I was underground looking at them through the windows. You couldn't see their amazing jumping ability so well from this vantage point, but it was still impressive.

Check out these numbers:

http://www.wdfw.wa.gov/fish/sockeye/counts.htm

It was quite an amazing site. Those are just the sockeye, too, the chinook also go through there.

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:16 pm
by PastorBob
Larry I will still be coming to claxton from time to time... Infact I may look you up in a few weeks :D...

Tim Gunner Shine Jeremy and Haynes Thanks...

I had no Idea about the salmon... This keeps getting better and better!!!

Plan is to Leave on the 22 of April... I have a lot to do 8O.

Started the final fairing on the boat... Epoxy and Paint came in ... I decided to try Kirby Paint in blind green... Called and ordered from Mr Kirby the 4th. Decided to use their primer as well. They offered to tint the primer green to make the dark color go on easier... Great people...

I am debating on the graphite bottom due to time constraints... and I would like to put some accent colors on the hull but have no I ideas... (Vman.... know of anything simple that would set it out 8) )

I will report on the paint as I uses it...

Thanks every one for your prayers and encouragement... Also any builders in the west lingering around... Make your selfs known...

There is one other thing that did not come up about the area I am moving to..... Lake Tahoe Concours d'Elegance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAo_rVA7 ... 4/70810001

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:52 pm
by Pimentel
there are several of us throughout the west.

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:40 pm
by davidtx
PastorBob wrote: I am debating on the graphite bottom due to time constraints...
I did 3 coats of graphite wet-on-wet starting after work one evening and finished about 3 AM. You just have to wait until the first coat is tacky - dry enough that the roller won't lift it.

-david

Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:54 pm
by gk108
Agree. I did three coats starting yesterday morning and finishing this morning. Saves time over painting, mostly because you don't have to wait for it to dry, then sand before recoating. I did the bottom of my D15 the same way and after rigorous testing on a limestone rock or two, I can tell you that it erodes uniformly. :oops:

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:12 pm
by PastorBob
Good points on graphite... I will do it.... anyone have an Idea how far from the transom the the waterline is on the GF 16???

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:40 pm
by TomW
PBob draft at DWL of 1300 lb is 5". so with a 200 lb boat you have lots of room for load. I'd paint either at the 5" or 6" mark. Which ever looks best. That way you can leave it in the water and with no load she will float with the waterline out of the water.

I'm sure you know not to count the skeg or runners.

Tom

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:53 pm
by robbiro
PB,
Best wishes for the move west and hope that you find it a challenge and inspiring at the same time. I love the scenery of that part of the country and sounds like you will see some different fish also. Enjoy!

Thanks Tom for that answer, I was thinking about the same thing recently and had not posted it yet.

Keep on Buildin' Guys,

Robbie

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:18 pm
by PastorBob
I am not looking for the draft of the boat at the transom but asking at what point forward rocker leaves the water.... how far from transom measuring forward is the water line...

I can eye it close I just wondered if anyone had the measurement...

Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:33 pm
by Cracker Larry
I can get it for you Bob, standby....

OK. My scum line leaves the hull exactly 11' 3" forward of the lower corner of the transom.

Of course my 25 is heavier than the motor pictured.

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:33 am
by PastorBob
Thanks Larry :wink:

Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:46 pm
by PastorBob
I switched to a new fairing compound mix and it is like night and day.... I spreads like butter and sands like drywall... I have my last coat of fairing compound on port and transom and a few "spots"... The boat very fair!!! Here are some pics... still very dusty but I can prove that I am making progress!!!

This guy made a bad decision and tried to eat the epoxy...

I plan to roll graphite on the bottom mid week... Then off to GA to visit fam.. and one last week to paint and pack before the 2800 mile move 8O ...

Posted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:07 pm
by davidtx
Your boat is looking good! I've been picking bugs out of my epoxy and out from under the latest glass layup. Winter in central Texas was nice - no bugs, (almost) no sweat and plenty of time to work a pot of glue.

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:44 pm
by PastorBob
First Coat.... 8)

Meets approval!!!

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:13 pm
by ks8
Nice! Will it be splashed here, or out west? :)

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:55 am
by dbldipper1
Boats looking good, probably has a lot to do with the good looking quality control inspectors. How many coats of epoxy/graphite did you put on and about how many oz's of eoxy did it take per coat? Good luck on your move out west.

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:40 am
by PastorBob
How many coats of epoxy/graphite did you put on and about how many oz's of epoxy did it take per coat?
That is only 1 coat... 8O I mixed the graphite by eye :doh: and it is probably close to 50%... It rolled OK but I will mix the next two coats closer to 30%... 12 oz of epoxy....

Posted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:06 am
by TomW
PBob boats looking good. Can't believe it's only 2 weeks till M day.

Tom

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:02 pm
by PastorBob
Graphite is on :D
4 coats- 48 oz of resin :x
587 bugs 8O

First coat left me some bubbles because I coated to thick but by the last coat they where small... I would rate my job at a B... Jim M it is ready for you to come over to wet sand and polish :lol: ...

I am officially happy with "work boat" finish at this point... Here are the pics!

Truck will be here in 11 days we leave in 13... :help:

Packing is on schedule... Still have to sell a vehicle :x ... and then comes 6 days driving... 2800 miles... with 3 kids 5 and under... Dog... Very Pregnant wife... We did buy a huge conversion van I hope it helps!! We will tow the boat behind the van and use it for extra storage!!

Primer tomorrow! A report of Kirby paint to follow!

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:25 am
by ks8
You missed a bug... 588! :)

Go man go! Don't forget to eat and sleep now and then... :|

How long you going to let that primer cure before applying the topcoat? Is there time enough? I hope you get a few days to rest up for that drive. :)

Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:13 am
by PastorBob
In-laws decided to come here to see us over the next week so no traveling / fishing for me....

Today's progress...

Greased the bearings before the trip...

Flipped the boat with the help of a friend...

Packed most of the the Man Cave (garage)

Sold my Truck 8)

Then after kids went to sleep I put a epoxy seal coat mixed with off white tint on the top half of the boat.... If you have never used tinted epoxy try it... it works great for making sure you have even coverage... It will take a day or two for the epoxy to dry... so I may do some interior work over the next few days...
How long you going to let that primer cure before applying the topcoat? Is there time enough?
The primer should cure quickly... But if I do not have time Oh Well....

Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:09 am
by JIM M
The boat is looking good. Have a safe trip west. I would be happy to do a little sanding and polishing for ya. Just take the northern route and stop in there is room in my shop. If we both keep at it should only take a few hours. :)

Jim

Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:06 pm
by colonialc19
Pastor, you might want to take Jim up on that offer, those pics of his polished graphite are impresive.

Wish you the best in your move and relocation,

God bless,
Daniel

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:10 pm
by PastorBob
Jim.. Thanks for the offer I would love to come but don't plan going that far north!! Your bottom looks Great 8O .... UMMMM you know what I mean..... I have done quite a bit of wet sanding / polishing but not on this boat.... Jim you might as well go ahead and cast a mold you have done the hard work....

Well today I broke out the roller brush and Kirby Special Green Primer....

Paint is Thick... First batch I left a little thick... Second A bit thin.... Next coat will be Just Right....

Greased the trailer for the the trip... Added a tow hitch to the New Van... And still have to pack pack pack.... 7 days until the truck comes :help:

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:05 pm
by PastorBob
How long you going to let that primer cure before applying the topcoat? Is there time enough?
Just checked primer already dry :wink:

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:24 pm
by colonialc19
Pastor Bob,
Whats your first impresion of the paint?
Got me thinkin' :doh: about topside paint, they sure have a selection of colors 8O :)

Daniel

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:43 pm
by PastorBob
Whats your first impression of the paint
It's Paint... not mineral spirits :D...

Primer is very similar to kilz... just thicker and mine was green :lol:

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:11 pm
by PastorBob
2nd coat of primer on today... If perhaps a coat of paint tommrow...

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:31 pm
by ks8
What would we do without some of those more positive *if*s ? :)

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:00 am
by TomW
Wow moving right along towards moving day. :D Boat and family.

Tom

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:20 pm
by PastorBob
1 Coat of dark green on...

first impressions of the paint...
gloss is impressive! more than I expected... I can see the fender reflection!!! Rolled out very good I had it a little thin than I would like.... This is defiantly going to be a work boat finish... I am oK with that...

Question.... Am I breaking any laws by taking this many bugs 2800 miles across 10 states
:x (Wife says they add character)

Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:29 pm
by gk108
Just don't try taking them into California. They will confiscate you at the border. :D

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:05 am
by Irish
Pastor Bob,
I've been following your build with great interest, shouldn't be long now to splash day. Sure got lots of tips from you and CL. Where are you putting the gas tank. Cl says to put it as far forward as possible, good advice I think. He keeps his forward of the center seat but not sure if he uses a chase to get to the motor or just draps it over the seat. Would a six gallon tank need to be supported in place or would the non skid be enough to keep it from moving around. Figure if the tank is on the floor it would save building a locker with all the associated ventilation concerns.
Irish

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:30 am
by PastorBob
Where are you putting the gas tank.
Most likely in the middle compartment... because I have little kids that will be riding and I do not want the tripping over the line and playing with the vent :x
Cl says to put it as far forward as possible, good advice I think. He keeps his forward of the center seat but not sure if he uses a chase to get to the motor or just drapes it over the seat.
Larry is right.... more weight forward is good with this boat.... I will have a live well that I added after the 1st frame this will take care of the offset of putting the tank under mid seat rather than 1ft more towards bow.

If I remember right from riding with Larry he ran the line under the mid seat frames... and his tank was unsupported...
Would a six gallon tank need to be supported in place or would the non skid be enough to keep it from moving around.

If you are concerned with it a few corner blocks and a strap would be easy enough....

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:33 am
by PastorBob
Just don't try taking them into California. They will confiscate you at the border.
I will be moving 25 miles from the CA border thankfully I do not need to go through there :lol: [/quote]

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:41 am
by Boomer
You need to secure your gas tank. If it shifts, there's too much risk of damaging the fuel line connectors, and the slightest leak in one of those leaves you dead in the water. *

I've used a couple of eye bolts screwed in the floor and a neoprene bungee cord -- it doesn't have to be anything extravagant.

*I consider a pair of new connectors and a bulb, with some plastic wire ties, part of my "must have" repair kit. Actually I've given away more than I've used, but I have had occasion to use them on more than one occasion in the last 30 years or so.

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:50 am
by PastorBob
Good points.... and nice simple solution...

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:53 am
by Cracker Larry
I've used a couple of eye bolts screwed in the floor and a neoprene bungee cord
I don't think I want any eye bolts screwed into the 1/4" floor of MY GF 16 :!:

I've got non-skid on the deck. The tank doesn't shift.

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:01 am
by Boomer
I don't think I want any eye bolts screwed into the 1/4" floor of MY GF 16
Why not? You could put a piece of 1/2 steel on as a backing plate. Let it double as a grounding shoe. :idea:

You can put the eye-bolts (lag screws) into the seat face. Depending on how PB has his seat built, he could just drill some holes to hook the bungee strap into.

I never had a big problem with the fuel tank shifting, and I don't want to overstate the potential, but the consequence of buggering the fuel line outweigh the trouble of just a little prevention.

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:06 pm
by Lon
Bungee cord to secure fuel tank works for me. I wrap around the center seat open support frame on GV-11.

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:53 pm
by PastorBob
I have reached the stopping point :(

need to attach eyes and get every thing ready.....

The boat will serve us well as a storage unit on the move... Coolers, Clothes, ect... 6 days of traveling takes a lot of stuff!!!

I plan on covering the boat with tarps for the trip so there is no reason to put final coats of paint on it now....

And now for the reason every one clicked on the link.... Pictures :lol:

Kirby has some shine!!!

Rub rail is just primed not sure on the color I will paint it... I will also need a boot stripe I was thinking a tan or cream for the interior... and carry it over the rub rail and I guess use it for boot stripe.... I am open to suggestions on colors...

Truck here on Tue we leave on Wed... I may check in and post while at hotels if I get a chance... Bob

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:01 pm
by PastorBob
:x :x :x :x bateau gallery not working right with firefox.... and picasa will not let me link...

see gallery here.... http://picasaweb.google.com/rlwilson/Bo ... lM8s072788

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:12 pm
by PastorBob
REPOSTING NOW THAT GALLERY'S ARE WORKING FOR ME AGAIN>>>

I have reached the stopping point Sad

need to attach eyes and get every thing ready.....

The boat will serve us well as a storage unit on the move... Coolers, Clothes, ect... 6 days of traveling with 5 people and a dog takes a lot of stuff!!!

I plan on covering the boat with tarps for the trip so there is no reason to put final coats of paint on it now....

And now for the reason every one clicked on the link.... Pictures Laughing

Kirby has some shine!!!

Rub rail is just primed not sure on the color I will paint it... I will also need a boot stripe I was thinking a tan or cream for the interior... and carry it over the rub rail and I guess use it for boot stripe.... I am open to suggestions on colors...

Truck here on Tue we leave on Wed... I may check in and post while at hotels if I get a chance... Bob

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:17 pm
by Cracker Larry
Somehow I picture you out in the motel parking lots every evening, sanding and painting. :P

After being in a car with 5 people for 6 days, I'd be ready to sand :lol:

Yall be safe.

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:17 pm
by chicagoross
Love the green and tan or sand colors on a boat. Lets everyone know it wasn't popped out of a mold! Can't do the dark colored hull here in the tropics, but will do the sand or tan interior on mine when I get to that point!

Posted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:22 pm
by ks8
Nice green... :)

Enjoy the packing and the adventure of the move. :)

Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:21 am
by TomW
Like the green. Your color selections of tan and cream are my favorites. A white boat is to cookie cutter for me. I like the sheen of the Kirby also, just enough but not to much. It would look good on the Classic 17.

Have a very safe trip and look forward to hearing from you as you finish her up and any fishing expeditions and the family changes in the future.

Tom

Posted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:04 pm
by topwater
I like the green.
Good luck on the move, have a safe trip.

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:28 pm
by PastorBob
UPDATE...

2,680 miles 8O
No problems (other than 1 daughter and the the dog getting car sick)

We are in Nevada :lol:

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:36 pm
by ks8
Excellent! Sounds like a fairly safe landing... enjoy the unpacking, nest building, etc... oh... and the boat building. :)

Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:40 pm
by gk108
Good to know the trip went well. :D

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:16 pm
by TomW
Well done PB, May you know to get your parishioners and that there are some fishing persons among them. God go with you and have a great life with your new start. Let us know about the new addition to the family and all the other changes you are going through.

Tom

Posted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:09 pm
by colonialc19
Pastor,
Just checking on you and your family, I know your busy getting settled, but thought I'd drop a post and see how its going.

Hope all is well,

Daniel

Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 12:36 pm
by PastorBob
Just checking on you and your family, I know your busy getting settled, but thought I'd drop a post and see how its going.
Thanks for checking in...

The sad truth is that I have not uncovered the boat yet.... :(

I have not garage thus no place to store my tools and mix epoxy...

The lots here in town are very small and the houses go almost from property line to property line so I have no way to get the boat back to the yard.... (unless I flip it on it's side and take it down the side of the house :doh: ).

I am contemplating building a small shop / shed (12x16) or so for storage and a little work space. building out side is fine because there is no rain (5" a year and most of that happens at one time). I am also looking at sharing some space with someone....

And I may be starting a 63' Scout 80 project.... truck is in great shape and only needs a little work but would make a great beater for running around town and in the mountains...

Oh yea my spare time is now devoted to walking :? Insurance informed me I have to lose 70 lbs :x.

Also baby coming soon (within a few weeks)

Thats where I am at... Thanks for checking![/list]

Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:02 pm
by colonialc19
Pastor,
Glad to hear most everything is ok, gota keep your prorities straight I reckon, If you don't have your health you aint got much.

Keep walking,

Daniel

Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:03 pm
by timoub007
Glad to hear you have landed safely PB. Get the doc's orders filled and enjoy the new addition. How many does that make for you now?

Our two turned 5 months old last week. Where's the time gone? I know it wasn't spent on my boats or fishing.

T

Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:31 pm
by davidtx
PastorBob,

I lost 70 pounds in the last year - while building a boat. I used the "Dave's don't eat so much dang food diet". My doctor is now after me to start an exercise program. I think fairing qualifies - and after that it will have to be boat driving and fishing.

However you do it, its definitely worth while. I feel 30 years younger!

Good luck!

Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:06 pm
by PastorBob
How many does that make for you now?
4- 5 year old girl, 3 year old girl, 2 year old boy, and this will be a boy as well!
"Dave's don't eat so much dang food diet"
:lol:
I think fairing qualifies
As long as you do it by hand!
I feel 30 years younger
I hope I don't turn the clock back quite that far I will be 29 in Sept 8O

Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:38 pm
by timoub007
Wow, 29 and 4 kids already. I turned 31 yesterday and am done with the two I got last December. :lol:

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:21 pm
by PastorBob
Well I have yet to uncover the boat in Nevada :cry: ... But I do have a new Sander :D

Jonathan Issac Born 6-2-08

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:25 pm
by TomW
Congratulations Pastor Bob. Job well done! :D Hope wife and baby are doing fine.

Tom

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:22 pm
by donk
Pastor Bob,

Congrats. Good looking boy.

Glad I'm past that stage, grandkids are not nearly as much grief!!!

don

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:25 pm
by jgroves
Pastor Bob, Congratulations! Great picture too!

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:52 pm
by gunner
congratulations!!!. Great names to live up to.

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:19 pm
by timoub007
Congrats PB. Hoping he and mom get to come home soon.

T

Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:49 pm
by Pimentel
Congrats, my fourth is due next month. But what took you so long, i'm 26 and I waited a bit longer to have this one on account of my daughter being ill.

Here's to being young and moderately attractive to your spouse! :D

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:28 pm
by PastorBob
Well it's about time to blow the dust off this one :D

We have begun to start back to work on the boat...

starting to fair the cockpits

Here is my new work space!

Not too bad considering that we have no dew and get 5" of rain a year mostly in winter...

BUT THE SUN>>>>>>
Epoxy pumped thinner than water today!!!

Well I just wanted to prove that I am working on the boat again!!!

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:29 pm
by Jaap
Fantastic looking boy Pastorbob!! How is SWMBO doing?
In the olympic games there are rowing teams with 4, but also with 8!!

jaap

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:41 pm
by PastorBob
got a 2nd layer of fairing compound on this afternoon it cooks fast...

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:42 pm
by PastorBob
Baby an momma are doing fine!!! thanks

Posted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:16 pm
by ks8
Hey hey! Congratulations to the entire household! Welcome to a new young soul! :)

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:34 pm
by PastorBob
Well we are all back in building mode :D

Look at that concertration :lol:

My fairing team!! They work for cookies :D :D

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:46 pm
by colonialc19
PastorBob, Really cool pics 8)

Mine have passed the cookie stage and now will work for Pepsi cola :lol:

Good to see you back on the forum.

D

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:14 pm
by ks8
Cookies and Coke? I guess you folks have dental coverage for the youngins? Ahhh... that's what the baby teeth are for... :help:

My nephews might work for... gas for the dirt bike and quad...

:lol:

Posted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:13 pm
by Rick
Kids and boats. David (in front) was 11 when this was shot.

Yes, his safety glasses are really swimming goggles. The real safety glasses were too big...

Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:17 pm
by Fred in Wisc
My "helper" just turned 2 last weekend, but she is very curious about anything daddy is working on. She learned a new phrase from this project though--" NO!! STICKY!!"

Fred in Wisc

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:03 pm
by TomW
Pastor Bob welcome back as if you were ever gone your always in our thoughts. Hope you have acclimated to your new surroundings and all is well with the family. With those helpers you'll have the boat done in no time. You'll just have to start building a bigger one if you keep adding to your family. :D

Best wishes to you and your family!

Tom

Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:18 pm
by PaulMcClure
The helper crew is always a good motivating factor. Here is mine standing in then FL14 I built years back:

She's eight now 8O She's getting her own N7 shortly and I'll teach her and her 6 year old sister to sail in the SH14 that's next on the list.

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:16 am
by PastorBob
*** Update *** (No we are not moving :lol: )

Been cutting wood for 3 weeks now... had the Idea to get 6 cords at once... (if you have never cut firewood that is alot of wood) Brought it home filled the driveway and am now working on spliting and stacking... I am 2/3 finished... NEVER AGAIN...

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:05 pm
by TomW
At least your muscles will be finely tuned. :lol: I' ve done 3 one year but usually keep it to 1 at a time. That is enough fo these bones. :D

Hope the family is well and the church work is going fine.

Tom

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:08 pm
by Cracker Larry
6 cords 8O Hope you've got a hydraulic splitter :help: Must be expecting a bad winter.

I go through about 2 cords a year, but I spread it out and pace myself with the maul.

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:42 pm
by PastorBob
Have no idea what what to expect for the winter but we have no central heating lots of little electric wall heaters $$$$$$$$$ (like in S. Georgia) one diesel fuel stove $$$ and a wood stove $. We plan to just use wood this winter so we stocked up.... Yes I am using a Hydro splitter but it is still work!!! Some of those rounds are 30" across 8O....

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:44 pm
by PastorBob
Here is the funny part... I went to Califorina to cut down trees!!! Kind of ironic all the tree saving groups are based out of CA...

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:14 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Pastor. that is more wood than we have burned down here in Fl. in the last 10 years 8O Good to see you posting again. I am curious, what kind of wood is that with the red heart :doh: Best wishes....

Richard
XF-20 "Red Alert"

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:12 am
by PastorBob
I am curious, what kind of wood is that with the red heart
Those are the national forest permits stapled to the log 1 ticket = 1/4 cord we put 16 tickets in a circle for the 4 cords on the trailer.

Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:00 pm
by PastorBob
4 days ago it was 84* today it looks like this

:doh: :doh: :doh:

What happend to that season called fall????

Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:44 am
by Cracker Larry
That is fall :wink: I don't think you're going to like winter :help:

Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:03 am
by PastorBob
Well the weather did warm up soon after that cold day in October... However the snow did reveled to us that we needed to change vehicles from the Conversion Van.... So we got a Beautiful 4x4 Excursion from CA where they near give them away for you to take then out of the state we got it for 35% of the book price :D ... And gas has gone down over $1 a gallon since we bought it :lol: ....

Also have 6 cords of wood put away... I ended up splitting the last 2 by hand it was not that bad!!!

I found out that our local lake http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walker_Lake_(Nevada) is a great place to blast some quackers so the boat is to be a duck boat again :wink:

I have recently drained the boat from our surprise 2" rain :? and filled cavities with floatation foam. I am trying get a good bit of work done as I may have another project coming soon to finish by summer :wink:

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:51 pm
by PastorBob
Weather has been good and we have gotten some work done on both boats.

On the GF we finished the rear compartment glued down the false flooring over the foam floatation compartments. Glued, filleted and taped the seat top.

I occasionally sub for the local schools and this week I am subbing for HS Wood Shop every day... I think we are going to do a 5 day lesson in boat building and sanding :wink:

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:40 pm
by cape man
I think we are going to do a 5 day lesson in boat building and sanding
That just aint fair! (but it is fairing!).

Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:19 pm
by Murry
I occasionally sub for the local schools and this week I am subbing for HS Wood Shop every day... I think we are going to do a 5 day lesson in boat building and sanding :wink:

Great idea.. :idea:

I like how open you've made your rear seat compartment Pastor.

How have you planned you hatch arrangement? I've been thinking about cutting mine in half and mounting hinges in the middle.

Daniel

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:05 am
by PastorBob
How have you planned you hatch arrangement?
here is a pic with hatches

I wanted good access to everything...

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:20 am
by cape man
That will look sweet when done. Have you bought the hardware yet? If not you might check out Marine Depot. Free shipping and really good prices on SS.

Edit: Marine Parts Depot

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:50 am
by Joe H
Hey PastorBob,
Good to see you back at it, so which one will make it to the water first?

Thinks going pretty good up here in Michigan but I'll bet your not missing the cold, not that it doesn't get cold where your at but I think things warm up a little quicker there don't they? My brothers and sister used to live in Truckee, been there once in Nov lot's of snow but sure is pretty.

Joe
aka mays-n-haynes

Re: PastorBob's GF-16

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:50 am
by PastorBob
I may need a bigger Boat....
:lol: Image

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:22 am
by Bowmovement
PastorBob wrote:I may need a bigger Boat....
:lol: Image

Congrats!!! Don't know what I would do with twins :help:

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:00 am
by wegcagle
Congrats Pastor Bob. Are these 2 your first?? My first little girl is due to enter the world in one month :D
Congrats!!! Don't know what I would do with twins
I think P.B's on the right track.....Build a bigger boat :wink:

Will

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:03 am
by Murry
Congradulations Pastor Bob,

Fantastic news.

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:38 am
by TomW
PB you definately need a bigger boat if not now maybe 6 years from now. Congrats and may all go well and your wife and the twins be healthy. This make what 4 and 5 or 5 and 6. Need a picture of the whole family so we can keep up with the developments. :D

Again congrats and best wishes!

Tom

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:40 am
by PastorBob
This will be 5 and 6. our oldest just turned 6 so we will have our hands full and then some 8O .

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:17 am
by ks8
Ah... how the adventure moves right along! :)

Two more little souls that were not, but will now be forevermore. FL26? :D

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:32 am
by TomW
KS you have to remember the first part of his monniker-Pastor! :D Maybe a GV19 would be doable? :D

Tom

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:13 pm
by Bowmovement
ks8 wrote:Ah... how the adventure moves right along! :)

Two more little souls that were not, but will now be forevermore. FL26? :D

I was thinking something from the DE series. Maye DE25 Long Cabin :D

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:15 pm
by Cracker Larry
He better start on that TW34 if he keeps on 8O
Congrats, Bob :!:

Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:29 pm
by ks8
TomW wrote:KS you have to remember the first part of his monniker-Pastor! :D ...
No need to elaborate there, though rubbing elbows with such a *Co*-worker is a wonder meant for more than just Pastors ... and with that sort of connection, its good to keep the eyes open anyway. Availability doesn't always need to be through personal ownership. :wink: One of those things that seem easier to say than to hear. :lol: :|

What about (2) GVs or GFs? I'd like to think that the second is a quicker build... until the two youngest ones come along. What am I saying?! Enjoy it all as it comes. :D

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:36 pm
by PastorBob

10/12 - Hannah and Cole!
we now have 6 children 6 and under 8O... but in 15 years I will be set to build that 33ft motorsailor! Everyone is good and we hope to go home this afternoon!

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:47 pm
by michaelwpayton
PastorBob wrote: 10/12 - Hannah and Cole!
we now have 6 children 6 and under...
Wow, beautiful... you are a madman :-)

-Mike

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:58 pm
by TomW
PB congrats once again! :D This must be the third or forth time since I joined the forum. First in Michigan then in SC and now in Nevada. Well maybe not in SC you weren't there all that long. :lol: Hope all is going well out in the desert and you do get a parisher or two to take you fishing. :D

Best regards to you and yours, from Tom and Deb

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:18 pm
by michaelwpayton
TomW wrote: Well maybe not in SC you weren't there all that long. :lol:
6, 6 and under... PastorBob doesn't need "that long." :-)

-Mike

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:32 pm
by Cracker Larry
I think he had another one during his short stay in Claxton,GA too :doh: Congrats Bob :D I'm very happy for you and your family. It takes a special kind of people to be able to handle that kind of responsibility and enjoy it. You are one 8)

Just raising one in today's world is a trial in faith. If you think they are hard when they are under 6, wait until they all start driving, and dating, and completely losing their minds from time to time. When the phone rings after midnight it's never good news :help:

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:37 pm
by Joe H
Congrads Pastor Bob,

WOW, is all I can say.
Cracker don't scare him to much, let him enjoy for now, ha ha.

You da MAN, Beautiful kids, okay wow wasn't all.

Joe H

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:07 pm
by fisherman2541
Congrats you are blessed God only gives you what you need and can handle. Enjoy those kids. Gary

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:08 pm
by Bowmovement
Congrats :!: :!: :!:

On a side note, I have acquired a new uncle through marriage named Pastor Bob. His name isnt actually Pastor Bob but thats what I call him.

Matt

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:53 am
by Murry
Wow PastorBob,

They are precious. Glad everyone's healthy.

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:51 pm
by ks8

:wink:

Ps 127

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:40 pm
by chrisobee
ks8 wrote:Ps 127
You do love being cryptic don't you.

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:47 pm
by D2Maine
nm

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:06 pm
by timoub007
Hey PB,

I'm hit or miss now on the internet as a whole lately, but just saw the good news. Congrats from Texas.

My two girls are almost two and seem to have already entered their terrible two's. Running around like little terrors. Wouldn't trade it for the world though.

T

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:27 am
by bernd1
Long time ago we heard something from you......does the GF16 float?
Come on let's finish the boat - we have to fill the gallery with the GF's.

Good luck!

Bye
Bernd

Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:35 am
by tobolamr
Grats on the new arrivals!

Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:43 pm
by PastorBob
Well I guess it's time for an update... So here it is!
Painted and finished! the green did not cooperate so it look kind of bad... good color and gloss it did not settle out... painted all my hardware because I did not like the look of stainless on the deck... one rod holder on the way still... Boat will be splashed in TN as that is where we are moving in 2 weeks! Hopefully it will be at the next builders meet! will get a motor over winter.

Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:50 pm
by Cracker Larry
That looks great Bob! Welcome back :D Go ahead and make your reservations for spring, you can cancel them later if you need to.

Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:26 pm
by TomW
Bob good looking boat! Don't know if I said so before congratulations again and glad all are well! :D

Where in Tennessee are you putting down your heads next. It's one very long state.

Tom

Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:42 pm
by ks8
She's looking very eager! :D

Hope all is well with you and the family. Good to hear and see an update. :)

Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:24 pm
by Bowmovement
Outstanding PB!! Nice to here from ya.

Matt

Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:41 am
by bernd1
Hi PB,

nice boat ! How much HP do you install? 2stroke / 4 stroke? Hope to see soon a picture of the GF on the water - maybe a video?

Enjoy boating !

Bye
Bernd

Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:34 pm
by gstanfield
Good job, I'd love to see a shot from father back :D I am curious as to what you used on the inside. The texture looks rough and "grippy" which would be great for fishing in the rain or snow and ice. :D

George

Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:54 pm
by PastorBob
Evercoat Skid-No-More http://www.amazon.com/COATING-SKID-NO-M ... B000N9M3PS ... Idea came from Larry works great no need to prime on Fiberglass. Don't do what I did and fair for 2 years just to cover with non-skid! Only need to cover weave and seam. Paint is rustolem marine seems to be the exact same as kirbys at 1/4 price. Bottom is graphite.

Posted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:57 pm
by chicagoross
Good choices, PastorBob, the boat looks great and looks like it's ready to go to work! I used the rustoleum marine (and graphite bottom) and it still looks good after 2 years of salt use and tropiccal rain and sun. I'm now seeing the first chips on the interior after 2 years of coolers, lures, and buckets sliding around the sole. Wish I had used one of the interior coatings like you did.

Re: PastorBob's GF-16 ***Splashed***

Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:47 pm
by PastorBob
This afternoon I looked at the pond... Looked at the boat... Then put the two thoughts together... Kids wanted to go swimming so we cleaned out the boat and actually got it wet! I have been busy since the move last fall and wanted to get to the boat but it hasn't happened.. I have been looking for a motor but it just hasn't happened either... We have about a 2 acer pond on our new property so we launched the boat and paddled around (Actually I don't have a paddle so we improvised with a 2x4)... I am really pleased with the boat stability is excellent we tried to tip it over and couldn't! Here are some pics!

Who need a motor!

Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:51 pm
by wegcagle
Great job on the GF16 8) The kiddos look like they're lovin' every minute.

Will

BTW Nice work on that custom made paddle :lol: I used to paddle my little Ghoenoe around my parents pond for years with a 2x4. Brings back memories of a few blisters as well. :lol:

Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:01 pm
by gstanfield
Congrats on getting her in the water. The motor will come in time, keep an eye out on craigslist and occasionally you can find an old 2 stroke for almost free. It would beat paddlin with a 2x4 :wink:

Nice job though and I'm a bit jealous of you guys playin in the water.

Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:42 pm
by robbiro
PB, Great looking GF-16, glad to see her finally WET!!! Great idea to get her in the pond and try her out. I was glad that you tried to get her to take on water and didn't. That made SWMBO more happy than anything I have shown her lately. Back to rigging and touching up some paint before I am ready to have the true splash with FIRST LIGHT . Enjoy her and the kids seem to really like getting wet in the pond also.

Keep on Buildin'
Robbie

Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:52 pm
by ks8
Congrats! That counts! All one need do is look at all the faces... :wink: :D

Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:17 am
by cottontop
Great work! The smilling faces and water splashing says it all. You have a wonderful looking family. John

Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:15 am
by jacquesmm
Nice pictures, good looking boat.
You oar can be improved upon :lol:

Congratulations.

Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:22 am
by BassinVt
way to go Pastor, nice job!! :D

Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:16 pm
by cape man
Too cool! Love the pics of the kids, faces!

Posted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:19 pm
by Cracker Larry
Got to upgrade that power plant :lol: Nice job Bob!
I am really pleased with the boat stability is excellent we tried to tip it over and couldn't!
Heck, you tried to tip mine over too, and both of us couldn't make the gunwale go under :D It's an amazing little boat.

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:18 pm
by PastorBob
So I am finally going to put a motor on my boat 8O And I have found a guy with a very nice 78 15hp evinrude electric start long shaft tiller control and a 76 25hp Evinrude electric start long shaft... Both in great looking original condition and both priced under $500... any opinions? I have yet to use the boat any where other than my Pond (2 acres) so I will add a small trolling motor also. Thanks Bob (also posted in Power Boats)

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:35 pm
by sitandfish
PastorBob wrote:...I have found a guy with a very nice 78 15hp evinrude electric start long shaft tiller control and a 76 25hp Evinrude electric start long shaft...
Sorry, just wanting to make sure. Are both motors tiller control or just the 15hp? :doh:

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:28 pm
by PastorBob
Both tiller.

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:53 pm
by sitandfish
PastorBob wrote:Both tiller.
In that case and for that price... buy both. :wink:

It's hard not to get the 25hp. Your crew looks like they will are growing fast and the extra hp will likely come in handy. Also, if you ever sell the boat, most people will see the 25hp as a better match for that boat. 15hp is likely enough but, the 25hp is a better match.

All that being said, I own a 15hp Evinrude and have never thought about getting rid of it. It over powers a 12' boat, it sits beautifully on a 14' boat and has pushed a 15' boat quite well. 8)

Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:01 pm
by Cracker Larry
buy both. :wink:
Good thinking :idea:

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:37 pm
by PastorBob
Well.... Both motors where excellent! I went with the 25 . in the last year all lower unit seals where replaced impeller serviced. Carb rebuilt new ignition system head rebuilt.... come to find out the guy was a retired outboard mechanic! Starts on fist pull or bump of the starter button! Put it on my GF16 and puttered around my 2 acer pond today . boat sits will with it on I need to set up the tank for the middle compartment and either put the battery there or make a spot under the rear deck. we would go the back of the pond and hit the throttle and come up on a plane quick . Motor need to come up 2 inches to line up with the bottom of the boat so I need to add to the transom... we have a list of other mods and repairs to make on the boat so no big deal. Thanks for the input! Bob

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:46 pm
by Rat
SWEET! PastorBob, looks like she came together very well; and a 25 HP motor to boot! I hope to get mine splashed by years end... You and your family will get many great years of service from her I am sure! Congratulations!

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:32 am
by PastorBob
Well... Time for some repair and modifications... First my motor (long-shaft) is to long for my transom by 2.5" ***DO NOT CUT YOUR TRANSOM UNTIL YOU KNOW THE MOTOR YOU WILL BE USING!*** So I need to add some height... I have epoxy glass and tape so I will just build up the area similar to what Larry did on his GF. (Larry do you have any suggestions on how to do in) Plan is to take some 3/4 and layer the inside and outside of the transom about 6" each way from centerline and use a piece of hardwood as filler Tape it to the transom generously with 2 layers of 12oz biax tape.
Next I have a few places where I sanded through the cloth where on outside corners of the seat tops... Tape is separating so I will grind it down and do it over...
I do not like my hinges so I am going to find some (any ideas where you can get a good price on hinges?) and router them in where it looks better.
A few other mods... Anchor locker, Battery box, locate fuel tank in hatch, possibly lights....
Then a fresh coat of paint outside has held up well but inside is peeling in a few places...
And I may add some teak trim... I have some very nice pieces left over from another project of 8/4 12 foot that would look nice on a boat!
While I am at it I am going to repaint my outboard as well...
AND actually get the boat registered 8) ....
Planing to take it with me next trip down to the coast...

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:17 am
by chopperman
PastorBob wrote:I do not like my hinges so I am going to find some (any ideas where you can get a good price on hinges?) and router them in where it looks better.
Here is where I got all of my hinges: http://www.marinepartdepot.com/

Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:42 pm
by BassinVt
bob you might want to check these guys out for your lighting, ive used there products in the past, and this is what im using on my build now

http://www.ezacdc.com/

Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:42 pm
by Seadation
PastorBob wrote:Well... Time for some repair and modifications... First my motor (long-shaft) is to long for my transom by 2.5" ***DO NOT CUT YOUR TRANSOM UNTIL YOU KNOW THE MOTOR YOU WILL BE USING!*** So I need to add some height... I have epoxy glass and tape so I will just build up the area similar to what Larry did on his GF. (Larry do you have any suggestions on how to do in) Plan is to take some 3/4 and layer the inside and outside of the transom about 6" each way from centerline and use a piece of hardwood as filler Tape it to the transom generously with 2 layers of 12oz biax tape.
Hello Pastor Bob,

My FS14 transom was cut too low also. I built it up but really didn't need to after I found someone elses plans for a very simple jack plate you can make your self from 1/4" aluminum angle. This would work for your 25hp engine and easily give you 2.5 or more inches of lift. It would be MUCH easier than revising your transom. The jack plate build thread is here (http://www.theonlinefisherman.com/forum ... -jackplate)

In a nut shell, you start with (4) pieces of aluminum angle 12" long. The thread above called for 3" x 3" angle but I used 3" x 2" because the local machine shop had that in stock. You can order 4' lengths of aluminum angle from Grainger (grainger.com).
Two of the pieces of angle go against your transom and get bolted in place. The other two have a motor board bolted on then they in turn attach to the legs of the angle sticking off of the transom at right angles. Confused? Well, a picture is worth a thousand words, they say...
Then drill your holes:Image
Then make a motor board and attach it to the angle
Then clean it up by cutting off the square corners and rounding over the exposed edges with your router

The aluminum is a joy to work with. It cuts and drills very easily. Your woodworking tools will work fine. I cut mine with a regular band saw blade (not carbide), sanded with regular sander, and rounded over the edges with standard router and round-over bit. You will need a few SS bolts, nylock nuts, and washers (both regular and fender washers) and your set. Depending on where you get your aluminum, the cost should be easily less than $100. If you don't care about getting the set-back, then save money and use 2" x 2" angle stock.

Fair winds,

/david

Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:56 pm
by PastorBob
David, Thanks for the post.. I had thought about doing something like this but decided to just use ply because I have everything now you have me thinking again.... :?

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:52 pm
by PastorBob
Ordered my 3x3 t6 angle stock today :) Thanks David!

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:01 pm
by Cracker Larry
That's a sweet and simple jack plate for sure 8) Perfect for small outboards.

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:14 pm
by Seadation
PastorBob wrote:Ordered my 3x3 t6 angle stock today :) Thanks David!
Great news glad to hear your going to try it. Although I haven't used mine yet I think I'm going to like it.

David

Posted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:26 pm
by PastorBob
New Bracket built and installed for a test run on our pond!
Runs good but I am getting some prop slipping in tight turns. So I wonder if I should drop the motor 1 inch? Right now the bottom of the boat is dead even and at the same angle as the cavitation plate...
Working on stripping the interior and making drain holes larger... Now that gallery is up I will post some pics later..

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:34 pm
by BassinVt
nice shot there pastor!!you hole shot that any harder she is going to fly out of that boat!! lol

Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:06 pm
by PastorBob
So I have diagnosed that my prop is spinning under power and I need to get a new one... Any suggestions between a 9x9, 9x10 or 9-1/4 x 11.... Thanks

by PastorBob
So I have diagnosed that my prop is spinning under power and I need to get a new one... Any suggestions between a 9x9, 9x10 or 9-1/4 x 11.... Thanks

by PastorBob

Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:34 pm
by Cracker Larry
You're also stuttering :P

You don't really need a new one, take it to a prop shop and have them replace the friction hub. It's a pressed and glued in rubber hub that is designed to slip if the motor strikes something. Once it slips, it has to be replaced. Sometimes they will start slipping without hitting anything, just wear out. Should be about $30-$40 to fix it. You can get them to re-pitch also for a little more.

Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:18 pm
by cedarock
I think the stock prop for that motor was a 91/2X10. On a gf16, my guess is that you would need to stay with a 10 pitch and I would keep the diameter as large as you can too on a 16 foot boat....but that is just my opinion. Solas has a 91/4X10 and michigan wheel match has a 91/2X10. I have a 91/2X10 johnson prop that was on a used motor that I bought some time ago but it is worn pretty good from coastal use. If you want it to try and keep or keep as a spare, I will be glad to send it to you! It is not pretty but works fine! :)

Your boat looks great btw!

Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:44 pm
by PastorBob
Larry I got to get my post count up some way to become an expert like you! :D I was going to get it rehubed but the cost is $50 used props are under $20... Cedarock I would be interested in the spare. Mine is a 76 evinrude non-through exhaust pin drive (it has the sheer pin in front of the prop with no splines... So the 11" pitch is not a good idea?

On another note we are starting a 1sheet row boat for the kids I don't know it the powers that be will let me share because it is from another designer....

Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:56 pm
by cedarock
Sorry......I didn't realize that because Iboats listed a 74-05 as a 13 spline thru hub exhaust which is what I have. My motor is an 83 and thought that it would work on yours! Good luck on the new build!

Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:02 pm
by gstanfield
Pastor, you could probably get away with posting pics in the bilge area. If it's the Kid-Row then you should post some pics over on their forum, nobosy shares their human powered builds over there much. :wink:

Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:37 am
by PastorBob
Well the 1 sheet boat is still a work in progress... Mine is the first real one and I am having problem getting the ply to make the shape... That's Ok because we are working on a fleet 2 1sheet rowboats.. 2 Canoes... and a 12 ft rowboat all to keep at our mini lake. We get lots of friends with their kids wanting to come hang at our place and fish so we are building a fleet!

Now I found a 4 blade 9x9 that is a pretty rare prop for his style motor... would it be of any advantage over a 9x10? Sorry for sounding like a dummy but I have never messed with props before...

Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 4:41 am
by whosmatt
PastorBob wrote:
Now I found a 4 blade 9x9 that is a pretty rare prop for his style motor... would it be of any advantage over a 9x10? Sorry for sounding like a dummy but I have never messed with props before...
They say rule of thumb is to drop an inch in pitch when switching to a 4 blade, so it might be worth a shot.

Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:56 pm
by PastorBob
Well Look Who's Back! I have been following the site but not active on the board. The boat has been only used on our mini lake and is in need of some serious repairs due to not being covered and left in the water over most of last summer... I plan to post the repair process and ask some pics along the way... It may be slow... I am still having issues from the wreck in 2010 after 2 years of progressing pain in my chest they have discovered that I have shattered my first rib which has caused other nerve issues.. I am hoping for surgery any time but wanted to get moving on the boat.

The deck is a mess.. one of my regrets in building is not covering the deck topsides in glass cloth the joints have all cracked and in some places the supports under the hatches has delaminated from wetness and wood movement. One section has rotted and will be cut out. At this point I am planing to cut access holes in the front deck and seal up the hatches. The extra seat hatch / step I added is very handy so it will get rebuilt it is rotting. The middle seat is is not too bad I had to repair it once for the hatch support breaking. I have considered cutting it out (except for a 3" around to make way for a small center console but I am also conidering making a place for a cooler. The rear seat area has again been repaired and I think I will seal the hatches and make an access hole... The floor of the boat has held up well (it was also glassed) other than paint. The hull itself is is good shape with just some delamination of a bit of the bumper.. The strakes on the bottom have gotten wet and will need to be addressed...

The goal is to get if back to a functional skiff and actually register it for TN and take it out :) while we plan the family boat!
Glad to be back building and on the forum hoping for some good times with you all and hopefully can provide some help for others!

Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:02 pm
by Cracker Larry
Welcome back Bob :D Where are you now?

Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:43 pm
by PastorBob
Still in middle TN on the land we bought in 2010...

Re: PastorBob's GF-16 ***REBUILD***

Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:44 pm
by PastorBob
Question... What would everyone suggest for taking paint / texture off... Most of the paint on the floor with no texture will peel up easy.. on the deck it is more adheared... Texture is rubberized evercoat.. Just wondering if anyone has removed it and what worked quickly with out getting to aggressive.. We washed the boat out and took off hardware..

Here is a bit of advice I would like to pass on..... DO NOT USE PINE for your hatch supports.. I sealed mine 3 times and the are all rotten.. Cypress / white oak / any hardwood would be better...

Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:00 pm
by PastorBob
Spent some time on the boat this afternoon... Top deck at the bow is to rotten to save... all the framing is and bracing is good but the deck is soft on top in a few places and when I began to remove I found it was rotting from the bottom up.. So let me take you on a little journey as to what my mistakes where and it will hopefully help...

First here is a shot of the boat.... Paint is rough (exterior needed painted from when I built the bracket) top deck seat platforms are what need replaced rest of boat is fine...

Here is work in progress with half the top removed... Image

Now here I found 3 mistakes that have caused the issues...
1. I did not seal the underside of the plywood... BIG NO NO.. You know how Cracker Larry always has a picnic table full of ply wood pieces sealing each side it seems like 3 times... That is the right way to do it.. what happened here was I like a cheap fool was saving epoxy and did not seal the underside of my ply wood decking.. That is why the wood was rotting from the underside up...

2. I did not bed my topsides in enough epoxy... I think what happened is I assumed the bracing was all coplaner and did not test it out enough to realize that I had sections where the epoxy from the underside did not bond to the deck... This means that it left a void where the water was trapped to grow mold and mushrooms while rotting my deck. You can see here that the epoxy glue never made contact with the top deck ply Image

3. don't count on chemical bonds... I should have knocked down the framing to get a better bond.. I don't know if it was contaminated, dirty, or anime blush but in some places the epoxy glue just did not stick to the framing.

When properly sealed no water damage occurs.. Here is a frame right over the most rotten place no water damage and this is pine... Image

So here is the deck removed Image

Now I have to figure out what to replace it with as far as I know there is no marine ply in the region... I wonder if Joel can cut a sheet 4x4 and send it cheaper??? If you could not use marine ply for a deck what would you use?

Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:06 am
by topwater
If you cant get marine ply i would go with MDO . But you mite have as much of a problem finding that.
I would just have Joel cut a sheet in half and have it shipped.

Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:53 am
by AtTheBrink
Bob check around your area for marine grade Fir plywood. It is a decent substitute but wrap it with light glass.

Re: PastorBob's GF-16 ***Rebuild***

Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:28 pm
by PastorBob
Well after kicking around selling the GF-16 I have decided to rebuild her. After looking into buying another boat I have figured that anything I want is ridiculously expensive or would require a year to rebuild. So I am starting tearing the GF-16 back a little bit to put her together. Then I will either pick up something to rebuild or start working on a new larger boat.

The hull is in good shape but the decks rotted. I really like Noles Tomahawk skiff and will be making a similar layout. I have to work in spurts as life is crazy with a new church, 6 kids, new community, and doctoral studies... But we are loving our new home in FL and I'm looking forward to getting out to explore the local waters.

As of last night I stripped all the old decks off and removed the flotation foam from the stern (it was soaked). The bow has had a little work done before we moved from TN and is mostly ready for new decks then primer. She looks a lot worse than she is..

You learn a lot taking apart your work... There are a lot of mistakes I have uncovered... Looking forward to getting her back up and running.. I will need to find a new trailer as mine is steel and will not last long in salt water... and I will also have to find a new 25hp outboard. I would love a e-tec but no way I'm buying a new one.. Good to be back on the board again.. Look forward to hearing from old friends and meeting new ones.

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:12 am
by Jeff
PastorBob, Good luck with the rebuild and keep those photos coming!!! Jeff

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:39 pm
by TomW1
Hey Pastor Bob good to hear from you. You sure do have a full plate :lol: Really admire what your doing!

Tom

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:11 pm
by Noles309
Looking forward to your rebuild...holler if you have any questions :D

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:39 pm
by PastorBob
Thanks Gary. How is the Monstaliner holding up? I'm thinking of doing something similar as I originally had textured the interior with skid no more and don't have the patients to get it completely faired for a flat paint job.

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:55 pm
by Noles309
The monstaliner still looks new!