Clearncalm's FS14

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
gunner
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by gunner »

I see you glassed all the way to the rail. Are you doing so on the inside as well? How much more glass and resin did this take. I expect starting mine by Easter. Minus 10 C here this morning. Skiing locally will be done this weekend. Looks like a change to Plus 14 C by tomorrow.

clearncalm
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by clearncalm »

I glassed the entire outside since my sides and bottom are fir plywood. I didn't want the plywood to check on the outside. The fir really soaks up resin, so I'm not surprised I'm using a lot more than the 4 1/2 gallons supplied in the kit. It looks like I'll need about 6 1/2 total. I would guess I used maybe 1/2 to 3/4 gallon more on the outside compared to just going 6 inches up the side. There's a lot of plywood on the sides above 6 inches.

Current stage: Two coats of primer on outside, sanded, then two more coats unsanded. Two layers of rubrail on outside. Boat is right side up. Stringers are glassed in. Rear seat frame and mid seat frames are fileted in.

Trying to decide if I want to lower front seat frame by 1 1/2 inches so that I can put two layers of "rubrail" on inside. I don't like the look of the slick inside side panels at the sheer. I think it will look better having two strips on inside and two on outside compared to three on outside.

racerrob
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by racerrob »

Clearncalm,

I am building the FS14 right now. reading thru what you're asking about the seat height was what i pondered also. I lowered the front seat/casting deck by 5" so that it could be used as a forward seat and your feet would reach the floor. I didn't like where it came up to gunnel height. I had to modify the seat top to fit , and i put a breastplate in out of doubled 3/8"ply, big enough to mount a nice SS cleat on it. I also shortened the rear seat by about 6" because i felt you couldn't comfortably reach the tiller handle on the outboard with the seat as long as it was. I just got an album started last night, after figuring out why my files kept getting rejected. Its not the file size thats the problem, it was the actual dimensions of my pictures(in pixels) that was too big. I resized the files to max of 1200 pixels each way then everything was cool. Your pics look great and everything looks spot on...
Rob Stidd
"RaceCity USA" NASCAR COUNTRY

pdxmac
New Poster
New Poster

Post by pdxmac »

Beautiful job with the fiberglass. I just recieved my plans and am getting anxious to start my boat! I am gathering materials to get going, and I am planning on glassing the entire hull as you did here. How many yards of cloth did you end up needing to glass the entire hull? Thanks!!

Aaron

dborecky
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by dborecky »

Looking good!! I think everybody will finish way ahead of me.... I hate it when work gets in the way of building. :?

pdxmac
New Poster
New Poster

Post by pdxmac »

dborecky wrote:Looking good!! I think everybody will finish way ahead of me.... I hate it when work gets in the way of building. :?
Maybe you should get a cold for a few days.. :D

I'm sure you'll finish before me, I don't even have all of my materials yet!

jgroves
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jgroves »

Clearncalm,
THe pics are great! You keep a clean shop! Keep up the great work. :D
Jeremy Groves