Cracker Larry's OD 18

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry »

Sorry, no launch today. But we're ready to go for tomorrow :D Very cold and windy today. I'm sick of cold.

I discovered that my flares were expired and I needed a new fire extinguisher too, so I made the 80 mile round trip to Savannah and got everything we needed.

Installed the new registration numbers...

Installed the fire extinguisher too. While I was at Boaters World, they were having a 50% off on Igloo coolers and seat cushions, so I bought a 98 quart cooler and cushion. Needed a fish cooler and somewhere to sit until I decide what to do about a leaning post. A few measurements determined that the same cooler cushion would be a perfect fit for the front console seat, and I got one for it too 8) Now Mrs Cracker will be happy.

The Fire Ext. worked out good there, it's completely protected by the T-top legs. I like to have it within reach of the helm and if you keep it visable it helps to keep the USCG from pulling you over and asking to see it :wink:

Mrs. Crackers seat cushion...

And we sorted and loaded fenders, dock lines, anchors and rodes and chain, tow line, stowed life jackets in the T-bag (I hate that name :? ) Packed nav and safety gear, put together a tool box, rounded up 11 drain plugs, and did everything else to make her shipshape. Even got Cape Man's beer and Toms rum packed. My ears hurt from the cold :(

Only thing left is to hook her up to the truck :lol: Dori wants to be on the maiden voyage, supposed to be warmer and calmer tomorrow, but it doesn't matter, she's going to splash anyway.

DrBones
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by DrBones »

Cracker Larry... - Your boat is absolutely, undoubtedly beautiful! What a job! I haven't checked the boards in some time, but I have been following your incredible work. She is just marvelous!

Now, just a tip: I see that you probably will run into the same problem I did w/my trailer. The cross member at the tongue of the trailer under the bow of the boat is a bump & scratch waiting to happen if you don't 'drown' your trailer until it is under water also and then release the bow chain. You'll notice that she'll float really quick and release easily and the bow will come down...looking for water to splash in. If that water isn't there..the cross member might catch the bow. As I'm not as an elegant builder as you are...I solved it with a piece of tire that I tied to the cross member with zip ties. Not beautiful..but works.

..and I'm sick and tired of this cold also!

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW »

Hey sounds like your ready! Looked at the forecast supposed to be in the 60's for you and sunny! May you have a fine day for the launch and a great day for you and Dori! No Excuse will have a proper launch for her namesaie also Larry, I'm sure he will be looking down on you!

Tom

BassMunn

Post by BassMunn »

Good Luck Larry :!:
You definately don't miss much do you, sounds like you've got everything ready to go.
The cooler box is a nice addition and Mrs Cracker's seat cushion looks like it was made for the boat.

Bass wishes :D

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Thanks for the compliments Dr. Bones :D
If that water isn't there..the cross member might catch the bow.
Thanks for that tip too. I'll watch it real careful. My bunk boards are 14' long so it might not be able to fall that far, but we'll watch it close. In fact, I've got some trailer bunk carpet I'll wrap around and zip tie to the cross member until we see how it behaves.
Hey sounds like your ready! Looked at the forecast supposed to be in the 60's for you and sunny!
Thanks Tom, she's ready. I've taken out many boats that were not as ready as this one is :lol: The weather is looking good enough, I've got a jacket and Sam has a fur coat.

Dog Fish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Dog Fish »

Larry, I am not going to say good luck with the splash this time and maybe it will really happen. :lol: :lol:

Ya, I agree T-Bag is like the stupidest name. Life vest bag, that wasn't to hard.

A little dark in the pic but the registration #s do look a lot better.

Time to let it ride. There is NO EXCUSE .

Hold on Mrs Cracker hes in the rum again.

OK don't tell anyone but G--- L--- W--- T-- S----- :P

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Drain plug. Go. :D

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

23 degrees right now 8O Still going to splash her :D

Dog Fish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Dog Fish »

I don't know how much longer people can take this Global Warming :?:

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Obama has earmarked 10 billion to fix it. I'm sure that will solve it.