Page 1 of 1

04ness' GF14

Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:37 pm
by 04ness
Well, Im officially 1 week into this project!! So far so good. no problems yet for this first timer.

I did decide to eliminate the curve from the bow transom, as well as change the front deck a little. Its about 4 inches longer so it sits a little higher at the bow. Ill be mounting a pedistal chair on the deck, as well as a bow mounted trolling motor.

I posted pics in my gallery.
http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=624

Im open for advise or comments or any tips that may be helpful during the build of this boat.

--- Brad

Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 8:46 pm
by robbiro
Brad, She looks like a boat :!: Good progress for the first week. Keep up the posts. Ask anything you don't know. Do this before you cut, I am going to have to cut the curve out of my bow and I am almost through with the top side before glassing the bottom, It should be fum..

Keep on Buildin'

Robbie

Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:38 pm
by 04ness
Has been 1month already! I had a 10 day period that I couldn't build. My wife just graduated lawschool.

so far all has gone well. although Im going to come up short on epoxy. Ill have to order more. I guess its just beginners waste? I had about 3 small batches go to waste, but I thought I was being frugal with it :doh:

The outside glass i squeeged' pretty well, but I think I got alittle thick on the inside glass (some puddling in the corners)

I still have alot of bare wood to saturate. I did one extra frame to make a step up to the front deck,( so that took extra and wound up with larger than normal fillets to tab to hull)

After all is done, I will have used 4 1/2 to 5 Gal total :(

-- Brad
http://forums.bateau2.comthumbnails.php?album=624

Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:31 pm
by 04ness
bottom runners are glued, as well as spray rails. for the spray rails I epoxied the blank pine stock to the hull, It will be easier to shape and taper with a plane and sander when its in place.

I got my first taste of the quick-fair today.was having trouble at first using plastic "bondo type" spreaders, but I switched to the metal 10" drywall knife and it was a completely different job!! had I used the drywall knife first, it probably would have taken only one application.

will get the bottom ready for paint, then flip and complete the inside, decks seats etc..

-- Brad

Posted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:02 pm
by 04ness
Well, its been almost a year since my last post. BOAT IS READY TO SPLASH!! I modified a utility trailer to haul the boat because some places I go have no ramp. The boat sits on a bunk with rollers almost like a boat trailer. The bunk sits on the utility trailer. we fabricated rollers and a mount for an atv winch to pull the boat and bunk up onto the trailer.

My next pics should show the boat wet.

Its been a long build. I learned alot, there are many things I would do different. But now I can say I BUILT A BOAT!!

--- Brad

Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:18 am
by Cracker Larry
Congratulations :!: 8)

Sure would like to see some pictures :D

Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:26 am
by tech_support
04ness wrote: But now I can say I BUILT A BOAT!!

--- Brad
Congratulations :D Like Larry says, we need to see some pictures

Posted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:48 pm
by 04ness
pics are in my gallery. hopefully it will be floating in the next pics I post!

--Brad

http://forums.bateau2.comthumbnails.php?album=624

Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:16 am
by TomW
Here is one of the finished boat

It looks very nicely done. Congratulations and also to your wife.

Tom

Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:49 am
by chicagoross
Nice! Gonna build another next year? :D

Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:22 pm
by 04ness
chicagoross wrote:Nice! Gonna build another next year? :D
I WILL build another. But it will be years down the road. I promised my wife I would focus on the honey-do list around the house.

My oldest daughter will start college next year, and I do need some free time to enjoy this boat :D
-- Brad