~ ~ ~ S P L A S H ~ ~ ~ Another OB17 launched.

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Betowess
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Betowess »

Wow, Lucky, really a beautiful boat. I just caught this "splash" thread a week back, and keep coming back for more. Such a truly nice boat. I'm new to power boats and pretty much a green builder except for a little row dory I built. Now I have been learning the hard way about kicker outboard "high-low" brackets and such - trying to find the right one for a 5 hp Tohatsu 4 stroke I just bought for an antique alum boat I bought - I don't have a big enuf shop for my next build, yet.
But anyhow... it looks like you have been having a blast on your baby. Sweet work there. Sounds like you have great experience all over Vancouver Island. Now those are some serious BIG tides on the north side of that island for your Bateau dory to handle! And thanks for this thread and keep the pictures coming next year!
15' Row Dory. C17 in planning

Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

Thanks for the kind words Betowess! We've kicked around Skagit county a few times, that's some pretty area you're in. The tidal ranges are pretty big on the inside of Vancouver Island but it's the tidal currents that can really kick up. The closest that I've seen is Deception Pass under the bridge that connects Whidbey Island to the mainland. Kicks up in there pretty good. If you want big tides on the West coast, head to the Queen Charlottes or Prince Rupert. 25' tides are not uncommon depending on the time of year.
Image OB17 Splashed June 2007

Betowess
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Betowess »

Yeah, I remember once when I was crewing on a B'ham seiner heading north to SE AK that we caught an absolutely screaming following tide on the north end of Vancouver Island- no doubt our skipper timed it that way, to save fuel. That must have been the widest "narrows" I have ever experienced, well over a mile wide,though I can't recall the name. Too many years past...I remember it felt like our little 58' seiner was doing 20 plus knots, though I imagine thats impossible. But it sure was fun when on wheel watch there. Anyhow, very petty country up your way - for sure.
15' Row Dory. C17 in planning