A British FS17

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: A British FS17

Post by WobblyLegs »

steve292 wrote:Some pics :D

Hi Steve,

Been a long time since I visited your thread, and I must say the boat is looking very, very good.

Just one thing, based on a recent experience out at sea here where the sharks are, you night want to put a grab handle somewhere on your console - I did a fishing trip with a friend and granted, it was a two metre swell plus a chop, but without something to hold on to, you're going to get very wet. In fact, the skipper I went with was thrown overboard while driving a couple of weeks after that trip - it's only due to his anchor-man's quick thinking that he is still with us. And he had grab handles!

Enjoy the boat.

Tim.

steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by steve292 »

TomD wrote:Steve,

Great looking boat - was wondering whether you had some advice on good UK suppliers for fittings and deck hardware. I was at university in Bristol - but live in East Africa - am passing through the UK and was hoping to fill my suitcase with goodies....

I got a lot of my stuff off ebay, but I'll have a look through to see for you, after anything in particular? When are you passing through?

WobblyLegs wrote:
Hi Steve,

Been a long time since I visited your thread, and I must say the boat is looking very, very good.

Just one thing, based on a recent experience out at sea here where the sharks are, you night want to put a grab handle somewhere on your console - I did a fishing trip with a friend and granted, it was a two metre swell plus a chop, but without something to hold on to, you're going to get very wet. In fact, the skipper I went with was thrown overboard while driving a couple of weeks after that trip - it's only due to his anchor-man's quick thinking that he is still with us. And he had grab handles!

Enjoy the boat.

Tim.

Thanks Tim, hows the nipper?

Believe it or not I have some grabrails on the way for the gunwales ( iroko, i found them on the bay of E cheaper than I can buy the material) & am sourcing some for the console, probably stainless.
I have decided there is something not quite right about the console & am thinking about making a new one, but a grabrail for it is on the cards.
Nice to hear from you again.
Steve

TomD

Post by TomD »

Steve,

I am in the UK for the next 2 weeks - see the relatives and friends etc. Was looking for hinges and latches for C19 I am building as well as steering cable and wheel and also a washdown pump and thru hull fitting! Not sure suitcase is big enough!

steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by steve292 »

http://www.nautequipe.co.uk/ - try these for steering
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/imsuppliesboatingchandlery - general bits
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Ride-The-Waves ... 4340.l2563 I got most of my cleats, bow roller, through hulls from here.
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/stainlessbolts ... 4340.l2563 - good for stainless bolts
If you have the time to search e-bay will yeild most stuff.
Where are you?
Steve

TomD

Post by TomD »

Am in London at the moment but was thinking of taking a trip to Bristol to catch up with some old friends one of these weekends.Where is your boat based?

steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by steve292 »

I am just outside weston super mare, 20 miles south of Bristol.
I work shifts,so you take pot luck if i'm about but if your in the area & I am ,let me know & i'll get the boat out of the storage compound to show you. you are more than welcome to come for a beer/coffee/bullshit :lol:
Steve

Marshall Moser
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Marshall Moser »

I haven't read the entire thread to see if you said already but, how many extra sheets of ply did you use with the additional sheer and the gunnels?

steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by steve292 »

I used 5 extra sheets of 6mm IIRC. 4 for the raised sides & one for the gunwales.
steve

Marshall Moser
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Marshall Moser »

thanks for the info.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Hey Steve how are you and the family with the British Covid problem. I know it has been 10 years since you built that beautiful raised sheer FS17 but I always remember it. Do you still have it.. I know you really liked how it performed for you. I sent you an e-email in case you don't see this.

Regards and hope all is well.

Tom Wolery, North Carolina
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978