A British FS17

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by steve292 »

Progress-
Today I got the transom clamping boards routed to there final sizes & the first layer glued to the full transom. I should add here that the clamping board is made from 2 layers of 18mm ply as I already had a sheet in the shop. I did ask JM first if it was o.k. As I am raising the freeboard the 2 inserts have used a whole sheet of ply.
Some pictures for your viewing,all comments welcome.
This is the 2 roughed out inserts clamped & doweled to the full transom,I then used a router with a trimming cutter, which has a bearing to allow it to run on a template to trim the insert using the full transom as the template.
Just to show the transom & clamping board assembly after finish machining.
Finally the first 2 pieces of the transom glued & clamped
I didn't use as many clamps this time!(thanks for the advice Shine)
The dowels I find simplify alingnment of components greatly(thanks KS8)
cheers,
Steve

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

Steve,

Looking really good so far!

It looks like you have a nice workshop there, makes for easier building than in a tent in the garden!

Regards,

Tim.

mecreature
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by mecreature »

Nice pics.. thanks for taking the time to post them..

steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by steve292 »

WobblyLegs wrote:Steve,

Looking really good so far!

It looks like you have a nice workshop there, makes for easier building than in a tent in the garden!

Regards,

Tim.
Thanks Tim. I thought about your build in your tent the other day when I was in the garage routing away with the rain hammering down outside.It can't be easy being weather dependent. The transom is fully assembled & is curing as I type.
Next step is to order some 6mm okume from robbins for the hull panels,clear the garage & think about the best way to mount them to mark & cut out. I am leaning towards the type of frames that Cracker Larry used to cut out his OD18 panels. My main problem is the garage is'nt wide enough to allow me to construct the building jig & lay out the panels at the same time, or store the sheets of ply flat & work which is going to slow me down shortly so I am buying stuff on a JIT basis. I must say that I am finding it fun so far 8).The comments from the other forum members I find motivates me to try harder to make a decent fist of it as well.

colonialc19
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by colonialc19 »

Transom looks great Steve! Hope to have mine done soon. I think I'll use a router to trim up my transom pieces also, great idea.
Daniel

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs »

steve292 wrote:The comments from the other forum members I find motivates me to try harder to make a decent fist of it as well.
In the voice of the "Churchill" advert: 'O-o-o-o-h yes!' :D

Apologies to the 'mericans if you don't get this....

colonialc19
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by colonialc19 »

Steve, Hows the boat coming? Just wondering how it was going. I started cutting out the lower hull panels this afternoon, still have some to cut out before I can start splicing. Hope its going well.
Daniel

steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by steve292 »

Daniel,
Work has got in the way this week.I work shift,all 12hr days & nights so when I work the boatbuilding stops, I'm afraid. This is when I try to mow the lawn, weed the borders & do all the little jobs around the place.
This is my last night tonight & then I'm off for a while so more progress next week I hope. I had the 6mm ply delivered on wednesday,& hope to be building a frame to lay out on fri/saturday. I have also cleared the garage to give a uncluttered workspace.

Taking an enforced break has the advantage however that you can stand back & think about the next step. Currently I am thinking about the strongback & try to source some reasonably straight timber at a reasonable price(not as easy as it sounds in the U.K.).

I Hope you are making good progress as well.I would like to think we will hear from some other FS17 builders soon, I can't think we are the only ones starting building,as it seemed a very popular design.
regards,
Steve

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

You'll be amazed how strong and solid that transom is when it is tabbed on the hull and glassed and ready to hang an engine on it. The whole thing gets stronger and stronger as the entire hull comes together. Enjoy watching it come to life! :) Keep those pictures coming! 8)

Lower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Lower »

Things are looking good Steve. Daniel...you look like you are making headway as well. I'm trying to squeeze some in whenever I can. I just got back from a trip midweek and am leaving with the family up to maine agian this weekend. I did manage to draw up "B", "E" and my stringers last night though. This should be my last trip for a bit. Then I gotta get going. It's fun to watch your progress, but I'm getting jeleous.

I'll start a build thread as soon as I start cuttin stuff! Good luck the next few days and I'll pop back in when I return.