A British FS17

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: A British FS17

Post by steve292 »

TomW1 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:01 am Hey Steve how are you and the family with the British Covid problem. I know it has been 10 years since you built that beautiful raised sheer FS17 but I always remember it. Do you still have it.. I know you really liked how it performed for you. I sent you an e-email in case you don't see this.

Regards and hope all is well.

Tom Wolery, North Carolina
Hi Tom,

Thanks for asking. We are ok, and my wife and i have just had our 2nd vaccinations. I still have the boat although it's not seen that much use, life got in the way.
I have rejoined the forum as I may either build something or renovate the one I have....watch this space :)

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Dude! So good to see you back! Have to tell you someday the story of playing bingo and dancing with the pensioners at the hotel bar my last night there. What are you thinking of building?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by steve292 »

cape man wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:34 pm Dude! So good to see you back! Have to tell you someday the story of playing bingo and dancing with the pensioners at the hotel bar my last night there. What are you thinking of building?
i can imagine the dancing :D . I probably won't build anything, but I am thinking of dragging the FS17 home from storage and setting about it. I may build something small, a 'yak maybe.

How are you keeping ? I hesitated before writing that because of the times we find ourselves in, so I hope I find you and yours safe.

steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by steve292 »

Although I like the look of the Novi23................ 8)

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Funny how small the world can be. I have a daughter in a PHD program at Bristol. If she does her part I am guessing I will have to make a trip there in a year or so if this covid crap allows.

steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by steve292 »

Fuzz wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:44 pm Funny how small the world can be. I have a daughter in a PHD program at Bristol. If she does her part I am guessing I will have to make a trip there in a year or so if this covid crap allows.
Be a bit more crowded than Alaska. :D

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Steve glad all is well and understand about things getting in the way.

Regards, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cape man

Post by cape man »

i can imagine the dancing :D .
It was busload from a suburb of London, and the ladies wanted to dance but only a few of the old men were interested. One guy who was pretty much trashed actually got in my face for dancing with his wife, but a whole group got in between us and settled him down. He later actually fell off his chair!!! :help: They kept me up until well after midnight, and did a good job of getting me snockered. Was actually one of the highlights of that trip. I think I told you but I also spent a whole day driving as far as I could through the northern part of Wales which was amazing. Thank God they used letters and numbers for the roads, because I couldn't have navigated with names like llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!!
How are you keeping ? I hesitated before writing that because of the times we find ourselves in, so I hope I find you and yours safe.
We made it through Covid with no real issues. My job was deemed essential and I worked throughout, but had to cancel all travel. No one here or any of the their family members got it.
I got my second shot the second week of April, and have been behaving as if I am 95% immune since. I finished the OD 18 and have been using it pretty hard, and built an SC18 a few years ago for slow, inland/shoreline use. Actually heading down to the Florida Keys tomorrow with the OD18 and hoping to take it offshore if the weather allows. Have an FS18 that a builder here started in the barn waiting for me to get motivated... :roll: :roll:

Have a retirement countdown that is below 2 years now, and planning a MAJOR road trip across North America (Key West Florida to Deadhorse Alaska and back) in the Spring/Summer of '23. I'm sending you a PM so we can communicate by email. My offer is still good if you ever get to Florida.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by steve292 »

Thats great to hear Cape Man. If you are ever over this way , I still live in the same place you are welcome through my door any time.
I've had my two shots as well, but we still stick to the "i've got it or you've got it lets not spread it" way of behaving regarding masks and social distancing.

I, and my wife are essential workers and have worked all the way through. ATM I am tested when om shift twice a week and my wife tests 3 times a week at the school where she works.

The PM sound great. I will PM you my Mail address.

steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by steve292 »

TomW1 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:45 pm Steve glad all is well and understand about things getting in the way.

Regards, Tom
Thanks Tom. Are you and yours OK?