P19 rolled in Austin

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: P19 rolled in Austin

Post by Cracker Larry »

I love it 8) Great update Eric, and some nice additions.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H »

Very cool Eric, I also plan on a kicker, I know my P19 is taking a little longer then expected but she'll see water next spring for sure, thanks for all your help and keep the pic's coming!

Going fishing when I should be working on the P19.

Joe H
Completed: OD16, P19, FS14, V12 in progress

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Going fishing when I should be working
I do that a lot. Some say that God adds a day to your life for every day spent fishing. If that's true then I'm gaining on myself, and will have plenty of time to work on the boat :lol:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

That's a beautiful boat Eric, If I may ask what's the difference between a closed and open array radar? I know one likes the looks of a closed and an other the looks of an open, but what is the real difference in functionality? I know I can Google this but I rather ask it here if you don't mind?

ericsil
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ericsil »

Peter, You will have to get the answer from someone besides me about question of arrays. I was only worried about the differences between broad band and pulsed radar systems when I purchased mine. I do not think the broad band radar comes in anything but the enclosed cap, but I may be wrong.

boat_AUS
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boat_AUS »

i have jsut ordered plans for the p19, its beeing an interesting process finding a boat design that is suitable but i think i am there. ive been reading about your build (looks awesome and is motivating) and have a few questions.

how do you find the cockpit? does not being able to stand in rough waters get tiring no to mention sore?

did you install hydraulic steering?

where did you install you scuppers? photos would be appreciated

i have also decided to build a 1/6th scale model to see how i should go about building it and hopefully find out about any tricky parts before i plunge straight in. also it might give me a good indication if i will have the stamina to go through with the project.

do you have any advice or tips on tricky parts? the construction of the boat seems ok, i think that the fitting out will be the part that i will find the most challenging.

ericsil
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by ericsil »

Welcome to the world of plastic cups and sandpaper. I have been running the P19 for five summers now. I am very happy with the boat with one exception, the ride is very hard in any decent chop. Nonetheless, it is a brick solid design and always gets me there, high and dry.

I do not consider my P19 the picture perfect example. It is not exactly to print and is not finished to the standard some of the other boat builders use. The one that Joe H is working on would have been much closer, but he is experimenting with a new top side. However, I was able to launch the boat after working on it full time (and I really mean full time) for 5.5 months. I did not find anything tricky about the build, other than a mistake in the 2D drawings that was corrected. It was my 5th stitch and glue boat, which certainly helped.

As for the cockpit, I have a comfortable molded plastic seat and have not experienced any discomfort even after 2 hours in rough water. A foot rest built to just the right height helps a lot. It is a bit tight, but since I am vertically challenged, I get by fine. Some of my family can stand up with no problem.

I have cable steering, the kind with minimal feedback, which works fine.

You can see the location of my scuppers in the following picture. You note that I am not expecting to take any waves over the transom with scuppers this small. They are almost entirely to drain off any rain that falls on the boat and spray over the top of the cabin. If you expect more than this you might go for some large square ones. they sit just over the sole, as you would expect.

I wish you the best in your build. You can get a lot of help from the forum and Bateau should you need it.

cheers