Lower's FS17

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
PastorBob
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by PastorBob »

Mask and goggles to cut ply.... this is going to be a nice boat.... Boys we have a new detail oriented builder.... Actual most of us work like your son... No shirt, shoes, mask, or goggles.... :D

All joking aside Welcome, where are you?? and remember we like pictures!!! :lol:
... you thought epoxy was strong!
Romans 8:38-39

mecreature
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by mecreature »

I just went to your gallery..

I would think you would get alot of participation on this thread..

good luck

Lower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Lower »

Think I'm on track now. I was just trying to bump up the number of posts. Trying to catch up with Cracker Larry's thread!

Spent the last couple weeks drawing out the parts. I enjoyed that part. I know some buy kits...but I had fun laying out the parts. Whether it fits together or not is another story.

Cut all the pieces out over Labor day weekend. Feels good to make some progress.

Lower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Lower »

I should be doing 100 other things right now, as I am at work! hahaha.

Oh well, wanted to get this page up and going. Pastor Bob...I updated my profile. I'm in Ma. Building the boat for fishing. Spend a lot of time in RI and Cape Cod.

Secondly...no professional here. I will admit to being detail oriented though. That's why this pic kills me.

I had one last piece to cut out. I was tired and should have waited. When I cut it, I cut inside my marked line. Every other cut is pretty darn accurate. This one sucks.

It's a good 1/8" difference than the original (I traced). I know gaps are good...so...do I leave it alone and just stitch it up or do I sand them equal? Is an 1/8"+ worth worrying about?? Sanding them equal will make them smaller than called out for on the plans.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

1/8" doesn't matter.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

BruceM

Post by BruceM »

If the boat comes out anywhere near as nice as your fishing plugs, then I don't think you have anything to worry about. I'm sure it will look great.
It may seem overwhelming at times(especially when you get to sanding) but it's a lot of fun so enjoy it.

steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by steve292 »

Nice to see you away with the build Lower,There are three of us at the same sort of stage by the looks of it. I am a mechanical fitter by trade, & I spent ages agonising over the width of a pencil line when I cut, so I can understand you being a bit peeved over a misplaced cut.BUT at least you did'nt miss the camber on frames A & B like I did. :oops:
enjoy yourself,
steve

colonialc19
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by colonialc19 »

Glad to know somebody else has had a problem cutting on the lines. I'm also building a FS17, I have a few cuts that sre not exactly perfect but from what I've read there close enough. After a few mess ups I started cutting just outside my lines or marks and sanding to them with a block until I had a nice smooth line. Im a first time builder and not exactly handy with power tools but so far so good ( I Hope). Good luck
Daniel

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I should put warnings in big bold letters on every drawing:
"Warning, precision above 1/4" is not required."
:wink:
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Lower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Lower »

Thanks for the comments guys. I decided long ago that if I started this, I was going to have fun with it. First time build, so I'm not going to stress on perfection. Plus...It's a fishing boat!