Lower's FS17

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Lower's FS17

Post by willg »

Lower wrote: Blue flood--I read about it but haven't done it yet. I gave the edges a quick sand but need to finish them. Didn't know if I was going to keep sanding or try the flame polishing thing. Do you have any advise or tips for doing that?
Lower, I'm no expert (more precisely, I have zero experience), but you do NOT want to flame polish your polycarbonate. Check out this video from TAP Plastics. Based on their info I think you'd want to sand further then use a buffing wheel chucked in your drill. This is a good website to browse on subject of plastics. I am going to get a custom sized bait well cover from them some day.

http://www.tapplastics.com/product_info ... stic_edges

blueflood
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by blueflood »

Hi Lower,

Yes, sorry about that. Willg may be correct here. Some of these plastics are not particularly friendly with flame polishing, unlike Acrylic. They tend to bubble and burn. :oops:

Lower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Lower »

No worries. I'm learning too. Thanks for the link willg. Looks like a lot of useful information.

So I measured for my steering cable last night. Used a garden hose and followed the directions on the sea star (teleflex) site. My measurement from center of wheel to midpoint of transom was 13' almost exact. So add 6" and round to nearest foot brings me to a 14' cable. Agreed?

Looking at the nfb safe-t 2 or the nfb 4.2. Thoughts? Does it matter?

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg »

blueflood wrote:Hi Lower,

Yes, sorry about that. Willg may be correct here. Some of these plastics are not particularly friendly with flame polishing, unlike Acrylic. They tend to bubble and burn. :oops:
Blueflood, I definitely wasn't directing my post at you, I just didn't want to see Lower's windshield burn up like it did in the video.

I got acrylic sheet for my windshield a while back and I honestly don't remember what my thinking was. It should be fine but Lexan is more impact resistant and probably a better choice. Lower and I can do a side by side test...

Will

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Hi Will,

Hey no worries :D I was thinking on using Lexan on my boat...now I know the do's and don'ts :wink:

Marc