New Pictures

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Lucky_Louis
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lucky_Louis »

Was the bow mold a full size paper template or did you lay it out from measurements? Paper is very unstable and moisture/temperature will greatly expand or contract it.
Image OB17 Splashed June 2007

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Look at the plans, it shows that dimension.
For frame it shows 3-1/8", for the bow mold 3".
The difference 1/8" is our dimension tolerance.
There should not be a 3/4" difference.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

bushmaster
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bushmaster »

Thanks Jacques and Lucky Luis

I am right on the BL measurement of 3". it's the DL on the bow mold line that does not line up with the DL line of the "A" frame. Off by 1/2".

I used Good ply for the molds

In the FS17 building notes on page 7 it says "Cut the bow molds. the bow mold will help the panels to bend but keep in mind that the plywood panels will define the shape, not the molds. Great Accuracy is not required for the bow mold."

Please look at my gallery.

Thanks

bushmaster
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bushmaster »

OK!! Paid a visit to Jacques and Shine to pick up my Plywood and Fiber glass resin kit, also quick fair, while I was at it.

Very nice and friendly people, very helpful, took my cousin Manny with me, he met me there. He likes in Port St. Lucie while I drove all the way from Homestead, that's about 30 miles south of Miami.

Left home at 6:30 AM, my wife wanted me to leave at 5 AM. Crazy traffic. Took 4 hours to get to Vero Beach. But it was worth the savings in shipping.

Joseph was did a wonderful job of putting my order together. Jacques and Joseph helped with loading up the SUV. Joseph and cousin Manny also did a very excellent in strapping down the plywood sheets ...6 - 1/4" (6MM) and 8 - 3/8"(9MM). Of course Shine showed up just in time. Very nice gentleman also.

Great guys all of them.

Well.. i made it home safely ... at about 3:30 PM. No problem on the highways guys. Joel you were right, hit Miami at about 2:30 PM. Not too much traffic then.

Lots to keep me busy for next several months.

Thanks a lot guys for all the help and kindness you gave me and my cousin.

No problem

bushmaster
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bushmaster »

Just added some new pictures. Feel free to comment.

Thanks

Spokaloo
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Spokaloo »

You should learn the process to post images, that way you can poke some here on the thread so browsers can see!

E

steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by steve292 »

Spokaloo has a point, you will get more comments if you put pics in the thread :D .
The motorwell sides should be flush with the transom,have you cut them with the angled side going the right way(there has been some discussion about this look for threads by bernd1).
as for the transom this is what I did-
only laminate one layer of clamping board to the transom at a time, line it up dry & drill & dowel it.I would fit all the layers dry first as it looks like your pieces are cut to finished size. I run round mine with a router after.Mix up a couple of ounces of epoxy, unthickened & use a foam roller to coat the mating faces of the wood.Have the other parts handy so you can put any spare epoxy on them,don't waste it, its waaaay to expensive.Then mix up some more epoxy, add the filler gradually, stirring all the time until you have a paste that has the consistency of a thick mayo. I used a notched spreader to put it on the pieces, quite thick(about 1/16 or more thick on each piece) then assemble with the dowels & clamp together. dont use excessive pressure, you dont want to squeeze out the epoxy. Then repeat at 24 hour intervals until the transom is complete.
hope this helps,
Steve

bushmaster
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bushmaster »

Thanks Steve and Spokaloo

Yes, next time i will try to include the pictures in the post.

I did measure and cut the angle side right, I think.

Do you think I should try re-cutting?

Thanks

steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by steve292 »

I would try to find out what is not right. The bottom panels should touch the motorwell all the way across.you are making good progress,the jig looks great.Are the motorwell sides temporary molds as well?

Lower
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Lower »

I agree with Steve. The motor well sides definitly sparked conversation. I was greatly confused by it. You can see though, if cut correctly it does line up. I have some close up pictures of that area in my pictures.

As for the clamping boards...I lined everything up perfectly, clamped them together then drilled screws all they way through. Then took it apart and layed it out. Glued each piece and reassembled. Drove the nails back through to re-align. Seemed to work. Either way works, I just hadn't really done much with dowels. Good luck!