New Pictures

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
colonialc19
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by colonialc19 »

If you use screws make sure to take them out before the epoxy cures, or their in there for good.
At first my motorwell sides didn't exactly line up, took about 3 tries measuring & tweeking my jig till all was straight and linned up, I was also off just a little in my measurements

hope this helps,
Daniel

bushmaster
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bushmaster »

Hey. thanks very much guys.

I am using forms for every thing except for the transom and the clamping boards, which I already cut and dry fit. I would like to add that the keel line up almost perfectly from the mid section to the transom.

I measured a new motor well side again today, gained 1/8", still short by 1/8"

Question; on the side where the clamping board hangs, where does the 10 7/8" measurement begins? Does it start at the very top most right corner, or is there an off set by a perpendicular line to compensate for the 1 1/4" cut out.

If I use the off set measurement, I will drop an 1/8" on line up of the keel as mentioned above.

Does this matter?

maybe Jacques or Shine can add something to this.

Thanks again guys for all the encouragement.

Bushmaster

bushmaster
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bushmaster »

OK guys

physic myself up and summed up the courage to mix up my first batch of epoxy ever. Well I poured 4 ounces(2 of Jacques pump) of resin and 2 ounce of hardener. stirred well for over 2 minutes ,closer to 3.

It was a hot morning (80 degrees FH) but had both garage doors open, I had more than enough to do the transom side and three sides of clamping board, I am only using one clamping board at this time. Tomorrow I will do the other two sides of clamping boards.

I mixed 6 ounce of epoxy, add one handful of wood flour...my hand is very small.. stirred well was like ketchup, add another handful came out like peanut butter.

Lay it on the transom part, did not even cover 33%. build another 9 ounces this time.. all the time my heart is racing hoping it would not harfde on me, i had no idea what I was doing.

This batch came out lovely. completed the transome part and 1/4" of one
side of the clamping board..like I said this is my limit..I am taking Steve's advice. Again hurried up and mixed up another batch of 9 ounces again no problem. Enough to finish the camping board side.

Before that I drilled 4 3/8" hole to insert the softwood dowel I bought.

Attached the clamping board to the transom aligned with the dowels. works great so far. Put some weight on it, half a cement block, 2 10lbs barbells, 4 container of resin.

An hour later I forgot to clean up around the transom, I used a plastic spreader to clean up the excess mayo and a rag soaked a bit with acetone. Did a wonderful job.

Now I have to wait until tomorrow to really check if I deserve kudos.

Question, should I sand the clamping boards that I had already covered with the left over epoxy and put a thin coat maybe or should i just lay the mayo on top of the already coated surface?

Please advice.

Pictures coming soon.

Thanks for all the advice and help guys.

steve292
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by steve292 »

Well done your away 8) .If the epoxy coat you put on has been on for more than 24 hrs, sand it to provide a key for the next layer.the pre coat of epoxy is there to seal the wood & help prevent the wood out gassing so you dont need to go wild, just use some 80 grit to scuff it up good.watch out for the dust tho',use a mask.
Steve

bushmaster
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bushmaster »

Thanks Steve for the quick reply.

It's 9 AM in the morning in sunny Florida, but there is no sun today. Cloudy and raining with wind gust 20-35 MPH. Still warm.

I finished the laminate at about 10 AM yesterday hope to get at it soon.

Thanks once again Steve.

Bushmaster

bushmaster
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bushmaster »

Steve

After sanding (scuffing up) should I add a light coat of epoxy or just layer the mayo?

Thanks Steve

http://forums.bateau2.comthumbnails.php?album=751

bernd1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bernd1 »

Hi bushmaster,

nice pictures. Do you build the standard version of the FS17, or the raised one?

Good luck during your building !

B.R.
Bernd :D

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

When wood is already sealed from a previous cured coat, there will be little benefit from another epoxy coat before the mayo. If you were laying mayo on bare wood, depending on the thirst of the wood, you would want a *soak* coat first, so the epoxy would not be wicked out of the mayo filler blend at the substrate bond surface, but this is not the case with you if there is already a cured seal layer on there. The mayo blend should have plenty excess epoxy in it to get into and bite into the sanding scuff marks, imho. As long as we're talking mayo and not stiff peanut butter. Peanut butter will not flow and fill well during the lamination, but neither should it be extremely runny. As you mix and spread, you'll know if it needs thinning or thickening. Be sure to use enough so that you get some ooze, but not so much pressure that it all gets oozed out. Mix thoroughly, but watch the clock too! Hold your breath. Don't forget to breathe. Hurry up and wait. All those fun things! 8)

:)

bushmaster
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bushmaster »

Hi Berndl and ks8

I am building the standard console model of the FS 17 and I am thinking of hanging the Honda 50 hp, weighs about 205 lbs same for the 40 hp. price is about 200-300 dollars difference.

I don't know how much difference this makes in weight ratio to the over all design. I plan mostly to go to the Florida Everglades...shallow water.. and to the Byscane Bay just off from Homestead.

Flamingo is not very far away from Homestead.

Thanks KS8 for the advice.

Bushmaster

bernd1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bernd1 »

Hi bushmaster,

I'am also building the standard console version - I'am starting when the temperature here in Germany is more than 18°C - because of the epoxy.

Good luck for building !

B.R.
Bernd