Cape Man's Dory

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Transom issues on Clara!

Post by cape man »

Actually calling it good for now without the EMC clear coat. She turned 8 in October, and we decided to give her a repaint for her 10th year. The cheap as hell Rustoleum will last two years...

Clean up, pull the new shift cables, and remount the Jack plate this weekend, and off to Jensen Beach Monday. Picking her up the following Saturday. Going to put a 13.5 diameter, 16 pitch aluminum prop on to see what she does and then probably buy a 4 blade stainless that will give her the best performance. Maiden voyage Monday the 11th. I have 4 REALLY BIG guys at work I'll take out afterwards to see what she needs to carry the Cape Sable load each year.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 »

Nice! :)

Fair WX Pilot
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Fair WX Pilot »

Wow, hard to believe that Clara is 8 years old. Your build log was a big inspiration for me to start building mine but I didn’t realize it was 8 years ago. She still looks great.
Alan.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Yeah, she's still my pretty girl, but she is showing some wrinkles and this last little surgery was unexpected. I was seriously running out of money at the end, thus the industrial paint job. I am not looking forward to a total repaint, but I think I got my money's worth ($120). Will probably add spray rails when I do it.

Your OD18 will inspire others as well, and your builder's thread is very detailed. Take all the extra time you can to share and document. Having a post on my thread that showed the clamping board was helpful to me for this job, but I didn't have a picture of the glass and tabbing work I did on it or the top of the transom.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B »

cape man wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:33 pm and then probably buy a 4 blade stainless that will give her the best performance.
Thats what I finally ended up with years ago. The 4 blade stainless keeps her from porpoising and no need for whale tail. Top speed isnt as good but cruising at 25 is fine by me :D and hole shots are great.
Craig, your boat still looks great :D
Completed: FL14, OD18

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

cape man you are probably to far along in your planning to consider using transom straps like these, but they would provide some extra strength, Use one on each set of bolt holes. These are the only ones I could find in a quick search but there are others out there. I saw a pic here on the forum someone had used them. https://jet.com/product/detail/5d63022f ... 1d9f42af2c

As far as your prop you want to reach close to the 6300 max rpm's with just you in the boat after you break it in. As you know as you add weight the rpm's will drop. I can tell you what I propped Larry's with but it's a 3 blade. He wasn't sold on 4 blades at the time but every boat he built after No Excuse we put 4 blades on.

Good luck and look forward to your sea trials and reports.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cape man

Post by cape man »

It wasn't the motor that caused the crack in the clamping board, but the tow hook on the starboard side which is recessed in the wood on the inside. As to aluminum clamping straps, I have a huge, flat, 1/2 inch thick one on the outside...its called a Jack Plate. Used oversized stainless fender washers on the insides.

cape man

Post by cape man »

New shift/throttle cables in, jack plate reinstalled with new stainless bolts and washers, and did a little touch up on the paint. You can really see how much the clear coat has yellowed over time.

Going to try and get on the road early to take her to Jensen Beach tomorrow, with pick up next Saturday. Maiden voyage with the new horses next Monday.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Looks good Cape Man!! Jeff

cape man

Post by cape man »

No more transom issues
Last edited by cape man on Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.