Cape Man's Dory

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Cape Man's Dory

Post by Jaysen »

Keep posting pictures like that and Fun will run out of socks.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Yes, she's looking the goods. :D

Any info on her sailing rig and leeboard, even if not used for years, would be much appreciated.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

I'll rig her up and take some pics...then explain how it works, and how it doesn't.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

As promised...
20200402_132706.jpg
20200402_132335.jpg
20200402_132753.jpg
20200402_132809.jpg
20200402_132815.jpg
It's a simple sprit rig with mast and sprit made from a closet rod (fir). The mast is stepped through a thwart behind the front seat and a ring epoxies to the bottom (both ash). There are two mahogany lee boards lashed to the carrying yoke mid ship. Two cleats on each side at the rear allow for securing the sail and adjusting the lee boards, and two cleats behind the forward seat allow for raising the sail and tightening the sprit. Cleats are made from dogwood.
The lee boards flatten against the sides when alee, and swing out when windward. Steering is with a paddle, not used as a rudder, but paddling to keep her on a line.

With the wind she is a lot of fun, but as soon as she heels over with wind from the side, she turns into the wind. Need outriggers on both sides to keep her flat. When she heels, the shape of the hull in the water changes, which turns into the wind. In Kiribati I saw canoes with a single outrigger, but asymmetrical hulls the kept the hull shape constant when the outrigger was windward.

Both the cheap pulleys came apart when I tried to tighten the sail and sprit, but other than that it was in good shape after being stored for years.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

cape man

Post by cape man »

Before I put her away...sun was right 8)
20200402_160927.jpg
20200402_160915.jpg

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

You have done some fine work there.

Now on to the dory :D

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Completely agree with Fuzz!!! Beautiful work!!!

cape man

Post by cape man »

Thanks guys. It was a fun build years ago and fun to spruce her up.

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

She's beautiful, great job 8) 8)

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Looks great!
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146