Cape Man's Dory

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Cape Man's Dory

Post by cape man »

I love/hate sanding! Maybe 2 square feet on the starboard side of the transome to go, but I hit the wall! After a few hours that RO feels like it weighs 50 pounds when sanding sideways.

Ordered a new HIN plate...
20200407_161302.jpg
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

Fuzz wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:50 pm I seem to remember you really liked to sand............good at it too

I’m not sure I can find the pic but he straightened out Bare Bones also with his eagle eye. :lol:
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Clara 2.0 is looking amazing Cape Man. Remember what CL would tell ya, "Sand and fair until you can't stand it anymore. Take a day off for rum, and then go at it one more time :D."

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

cape man

Post by cape man »

Great to see your post Will. Have been thinking about the Cracker alot during this. Talked to Dori last week. He would have told me to suck it up!

So today I almost totally fucked up. To sand the bow and the sides behind the fenders on the trailer I needed to move the boat about 12 inches back on the trailer. Ran a tow strap around an oak tree behind the boat, hooked it to the transom tie down hooks and hooked the truck up to the trailer. The tow strap wasn't long enough, so used one of the transom tie down straps to connect the strap. Two tries and the tie down strap came apart . As I walked up to the truck to get a heavy rope to make the weak connection I saw that I had not disconnected the strap at the bow!!!! :help:

So I tried to RIP my transom off!! Thank God the tie down strap came loose!

Good news is once disconnected from the bow she slid back with ease, I am DONE sanding the outside, and most importantly she is still only 18 feet long.
20200408_152600.jpg
20200408_154800.jpg
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

cape man wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:29 pm Good news is once disconnected from the bow she slid back with ease, I am DONE sanding the outside, and most importantly she is still only 18 feet long.
8O

I am guessing you even measured to confirm. That is funny, now that you know the boat is built solid! :lol:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Cape Man, thank goodness the straps failed!! Jeff

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

And here I was thinking you were trying to turn an OD-18 into a Panga 20 :help:

cape man

Post by cape man »

Yesterday I pulled the hardware off except for the rear face of the console, the leaning post, and the mounts for the umbrella. The latter has screws that the heads on the first two stripped as I tried to back them out so I'll sand and paint around them. Piled the hardware in a bucket and it weighs 30 lbs! Might be good for others when calculating your weight 8) :help:
20200412_092156.jpg
The gunwales and foredeck are sanded down to 320 grit, and now I'm working on the inside. Man does this suck! The clearcoat and paint are hard enough, but the non-skid is ridiculous!
20200412_091958.jpg
20200412_092009.jpg
For those who have invested in TP manufacturing I also recommend looking at sanding disc manufacturers. I a m going to be supporting them a lot before done!

Plan is to sand everything, fair where needed (the starboard bow where I used the belt sander!), patch some small dings with epoxy, and then paint starting with the clear on gunwales and working down. Thinking about Kiwi Grip...

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

The old girl is really going to shine when you are done with her.
I thought you did not like Kiwi grip. Too rough on bare feet, not that I will ever know :help:

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice work Cape Man!!! She will be beautiful again!!! Jeff